cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guaranteed Delivery may guarantee a drop in sales ...

Last Tuesday I was put in Guaranteed Delivery ... unfortunately, my sales have not tripled so there must be a glitch ... as a matter of fact, weekends are usually pretty busy with sales but not this one so I just Opted OUT of GD in Site Prefs earlier this evening.  If my sales had tripled or even doubled I would have stayed in.  I just don't think its suited for Collectibles, Vintage and Antique type stuff ... maybe diapers, t-shirts and other commodities in high volume categories ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Guaranteed Delivery may guarantee a drop in sales ...

Idiot robots controlling intelligent humans is the most troubling concept within this thread.

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

The guarantee isn't that eBay will magically make the item appear if it is late, the guarantee is that the buyer will get free shipping or some other credit if it is late.

#Readmore

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

I'm not sure references to insanity are a good way to book-end what is completely valid theory and information.

Yes, eBay manipulates search results based on a number of factors including item and buyer location.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Trouble is, this place is like a 300 lb dude going to a 5 Star restaurant, and the waiter hands him a low cal menu based on the restaurant's pre-set notions.
There should be a sign on the door...
"We don't care what you came for, but come in anyway."
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@timemachine777  wrote: Now sellers are seeing a shift in sales locality, as their customers are now more condensed around their own locality. eBay knows from beta testing GD over the past year that even priority shipments going to zones 6, 7, 8...take more than 3 days on a percentage of shipments to large for eBay to eat on it's current promo, where eBay is responsible for the buyer compensation.

I'm in the mid-atlantic states region and this month shipped to the west coast, several southern states with coast lines on the Gulf, the mid-west and New England states ... pretty much all over the country.  So are you saying this localized shipping for GD pulls that geography in so folks would not see the broad shipping base I've experienced prior to GD?

Also, just curious where your info comes from?  Posts on The Community? eCommerce Bytes?  Some other source?

My info is based on my opinion, due to the number of sudden sellers that all of a sudden noticed the major geographic change in their buyer locations, to the extent that it grabbed their attention, and compelled them to point it out to others. I've also spoken to sellers about the shift, and not just read about it here, but on other forums. 

I've been known in the past to post about why it is that while I live in Maine, all my sales on eBay (only), always end up going to the west coast and Gulf coast, but rarely to the Northeast. I'm one of those that knows where every item they ever shipped, went to. I'm also one of those that are experiencing the geographic shift. Almost all my eBay sales across all my accounts, are now being shipped within the Northeast.

I've been noticing this for a while on my 1 day handling items most of all. All my items fell within the automatic priority shipping zone for USPS. I'm rarely shipping anything standard mail outside that zone through eBay. I believe I posted a comment a short time ago, on how odd it was that all of a sudden all my book sales were going to PA. 

One thing you can try, and keep track of to cross compare, is to set half your listings to 1 day handling time and the other to 2 day. You sell a lot of like items and can split them up to get a better read. Just select which items to change an bulk edit them. 

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@lowkeytrader wrote:

I'm not sure references to insanity are a good way to book-end what is completely valid theory and information.

Yes, eBay manipulates search results based on a number of factors including item and buyer location.

That's because, that's how you get treated on this board if you make a statement like I just made.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@timemachine777  wrote: Now sellers are seeing a shift in sales locality, as their customers are now more condensed around their own locality. eBay knows from beta testing GD over the past year that even priority shipments going to zones 6, 7, 8...take more than 3 days on a percentage of shipments to large for eBay to eat on it's current promo, where eBay is responsible for the buyer compensation.

I'm in the mid-atlantic states region and this month shipped to the west coast, several southern states with coast lines on the Gulf, the mid-west and New England states ... pretty much all over the country.  So are you saying this localized shipping for GD pulls that geography in so folks would not see the broad shipping base I've experienced prior to GD?

Also, just curious where your info comes from?  Posts on The Community? eCommerce Bytes?  Some other source?

My info is based on my opinion, due to the number of sudden sellers that all of a sudden noticed the major geographic change in their buyer locations, to the extent that it grabbed their attention, and compelled them to point it out to others. I've also spoken to sellers about the shift, and not just read about it here, but on other forums. 

I've been known in the past to post about why it is that while I live in Maine, all my sales on eBay (only), always end up going to the west coast and Gulf coast, but rarely to the Northeast. I'm one of those that knows where every item they ever shipped, went to. I'm also one of those that are experiencing the geographic shift. Almost all my eBay sales across all my accounts, are now being shipped within the Northeast.

I've been noticing this for a while on my 1 day handling items most of all. All my items fell within the automatic priority shipping zone for USPS. I'm rarely shipping anything standard mail outside that zone through eBay. I believe I posted a comment a short time ago, on how odd it was that all of a sudden all my book sales were going to PA. 

One thing you can try, and keep track of to cross compare, is to set half your listings to 1 day handling time and the other to 2 day. You sell a lot of like items and can split them up to get a better read. Just select which items to change an bulk edit them. 

So, not to necessarily dispute your experience, but being on the west coast I've also seen a significant shift in orders from eastern US to western US this year.  HOWEVER!  Last year I was able to ship 5lbs anywhere in the US for under $16 so I had fixed rate shipping ranging from 14.80 to around $16.50 on most of my heavier items.  The massive changes in shipping that occurred in Jan 2018 forced me to switch to calculated shipping on all these items.  So now, western US buyers see shipping at or even below my fixed rate from last year.  Eastern US buyers see shipping significantly higher than last year. 

My "geographic shift" has nothing to do with eBay hiding or showing and !everything! to do with cost of shipping.  I can't even count how many messages I've had since Jan 2018 asking if there's "something" I can do to reduce the shipping cost.  (no tinfoil hat required! laughing)

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 37 of 39
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

So, not to necessarily dispute your experience, but being on the west coast I've also seen a significant shift in orders from eastern US to western US this year.  HOWEVER!  Last year I was able to ship 5lbs anywhere in the US for under $16 so I had fixed rate shipping ranging from 14.80 to around $16.50 on most of my heavier items.  The massive changes in shipping that occurred in Jan 2018 forced me to switch to calculated shipping on all these items.  So now, western US buyers see shipping at or even below my fixed rate from last year.  Eastern US buyers see shipping significantly higher than last year. 

My "geographic shift" has nothing to do with eBay hiding or showing and !everything! to do with cost of shipping.  I can't even count how many messages I've had since Jan 2018 asking if there's "something" I can do to reduce the shipping cost.  (no tinfoil hat required! laughing)

I use flat rate shipping, so whether your in MA or CA, you see the same price.  

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Here's what drives people totally bonkers.  It HAS TO BE 3 DAYS.  It can't be set to 4 days, or 5 days, or even 2 days for that matter!  It's 3 days or bust.  Totally worthless option if you can't adjust the days.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply