cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an INR today--tracking shows attempted delivery--walk me through this again, please?

Got home from work today and there was a package on my porch--an item I had sold last week had come back to me with the initials, "I.A." on the package. Walk in the door, check my account, and already an INR has been opened.....*sigh*  

"I.A." means inadequate address (didn't know that before, but it says so on the tracking page), so there is something wrong with the address the buyer listed. But of course, they are all agro with me--demanding to know where I sent their item.   Uh,,,,,where you told me to.  I print my labels.

Anyway--now eBay is asking for me to add the tracking number to the dispute.  If I add the tracking number does that mean that I am fighting the INR? This seems like one of those times where I need to navigate carefully, lest I fall into an eBay trap.  

Of course I know I need to refund the buyer--but am I also responsible for refunding the shipping--even though they obviously have the wrong address listed?  I don't want to push the "Refund the Buyer" button before I know what is going to happen.  Same with adding tracking.  The tracking, interestingly enough does say that the item was delivered to the correct address--and then put back into the mail stream somehow.

IDK--but I remember in the past that if the item was shown as either delivered, or attempted delivery, or if the wrong address was given by the buyer--the seller would not have to pay the shipping. With the current state of affairs here, I wouldn't be surprised if that policy had changed.  Anyone know for sure?  Should I add tracking or just hit the refund button? Any way to fight this INR (talking about the defect on my seller metric page)--since the item, was, in fact--actually delivered to this person?  Not holding my breath or anything here hoping for a positive (or fair) resolution from eBay--but I would appreciate any help or advice--I am really at a loss as to how to deal with this properly.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Got an INR today--tracking shows attempted delivery--walk me through this again, please?

Call ebay first and see what they say about how to do this properly so you do not get a defect. Never had one like this so not sure what to do.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Got an INR today--tracking shows attempted delivery--walk me through this again, please?

@mczombies wrote:

The tracking, interestingly enough does say that the item was delivered to the correct address--and then put back into the mail stream somehow.

That being the case, I would be inclined to add the tracking to the dispute, as that shows it was delivered, which of course is the whole point.

The fact that someone (either the USPS or the seller himself) sent it back after that is not important for the purposes of the INR. If a tracking scan shows that it was Delivered to the buyer's City and ZIP, then that is the proof needed to close out the case.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eBay considers attempted delivery to be Delivered. Upload the tracking number, call eBay to close the case in your favor to block feedback and a defect, then partially refund your buyer.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

IMO,  add the tracking # to the request and have the INR closed out. That will block feedback. Then right after that message the buyer let them know you have the package and will issue a refund. Cancel the order via the resolution center using "Problem with Buyers Address" as the reason. If you'd like them to repurchase the item you can always relist or consider it a bullet dodged and wait a little while.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I used to think about a second chance. Not anymore!

So, call Ebay, avoid that INR. Then, if they didn't have the skills to change their address, nothing else will. 

Block them. 

latest reply

@daw365 wrote:

eBay considers attempted delivery to be Delivered. Upload the tracking number, call eBay to close the case in your favor to block feedback and a defect, then partially refund your buyer.

I agree. This ^^^^^^^^is the way to go. I just read one of the blues the other day stating "attempted delivery" is considered delivered but I can`t remember where I read it. After entering the tracking call and have it closed. Then when you get the item back, I`d block the buyer and do a partial PP refund for the item, less shipping and fees.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 7 of 7
latest reply