cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got SCAMMED on eBay, and eBay is unresponsive and has given me the complete run around

Ill try to keep this short:

From the beginning, I sold an iPhone 11 PRO Max Unlocked Phone. This phone is still to this day is under factory warranty. A month ago, I sold it to a buyer with very low feedback. They were responsive at first, they asked me to verify the IMEI/ serial numbers on the phone which obviously I did. After verification by the buyer that it was good to go, I shipped the phone out. 

A day or two the seller decided to open a case, stating the phone had a black screen and wouldn't power on. I emailed the buyer 6 days in a row to please give me further details because the phone is covered under warranty through Apple and they could just go to the store and get a new one. No response, for weeks. I starting opening cases with eBay on my end so I can give the money unfrozen. I called eBay roughly 15-20 times in response to this case and the answers were different almost every time I called. 

So the case was put on hold as they were reviewing the details, I randomly received an email from eBay saying to ship the phone back, I called eBay and a nice gentleman from the UK it sounded like on their customer service team said the email didnt make sense and to just "sit tight" until the case was put off hold. 

Listening to the eBay rep, I waited until October 30th when the case was put off hold, I called in eBay- explained everything to a nice lady and she put the decided case in my favor. (meanwhile I was emailing the buyer daily, still no response at all) 

Not even 30 minutes after the case was ruled in my favor, the buyer must have called in and said I never sent him a return label (this wasnt an option and I didnt send him one because the eBay rep told me to hold off) They reversed the case, ruled it in the buyers favor as he still has my phone. 

Ive been in contact through email about this with eBay on numerous occasions and im getting the run around. I've sold over $100,000 worth of items on eBay in my lifetime with little to no issues (nothing major).

They ruled in favor of a 3 feedback buyer who was obviously scamming.

a week ago I was promised my $760 in a new case where another ebay department said that it wasn't fair and "guaranteed" me eBay would give me a refund. Well guess what? no refund. I've bought and sold on eBay for many years, but will not be giving them anymore business until this is handled correctly and I'm refunded my money. I've spent over 10 hours on the phone and emailing eBay with no help just "other department will call you back" 

this is truly unbelievable, and I'm looking for advice and I want to make sure everybody is aware of this.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Got SCAMMED on eBay, and eBay is unresponsive and has given me the complete run around

I am sorry this is happening to you. You've learned a lot about Return requests and about reaching out to eBay to handle them for you. The same probably happened to me... one time. Hang in there.

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

. No response, for weeks. I starting opening cases with eBay on my end so I can give the money unfrozen...”

What kind of case did you open? Some of your info is a bit confusing.

That question aside, when your buyer opened the Not As Described case, your response should have been “return for refund.”  That would not have guaranteed you got your phone back, but waiting is not how such a matter is handled. Waiting, instead of managing the case, all but insures that the buyer will win. Buyers nearly always win NAD cases anyway.

You have 30 days from the case being closed to formally appeal eBay’s ruling. Below is a link on how to do that. Follow the instructions carefully. Good luck to you, sorry for your troubles.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item...

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

Yup I sold a professional camera package 14 years ago for $8500. Would I do it today? Not a hope in H-ll

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

You had a Negative from a buyer who claimed that they never received their I Phone and that you would not respond to them. Was that resolved? That transaction should have dissuaded you from ever listing a phone again. Hopefully it will dissuade others from listing phones on ebay.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 5 of 60
latest reply

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

It's there, about 2/3 of the way down on the first page. 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 7 of 60
latest reply

I have already appealed the decision and thats when they ruled in the buyers favor yet again, when they clearly see he has yet to communicate with me once after he received the phone. Their advice is to "discuss with the seller" okay great, but the seller doesnt communicate and you have their back anyway.

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

Short answer.

This should have been a simple return request.  You did not handle it properly.

Sorry this happened to you. 

Buyer reports phone not working.

You have him return the phone at your expense. 

When you received the phone, issue a refund.

That's how it SHOULD have been handled.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

I learned the hard way as well today that that is virtually zero SELLER PROTECTION ON THIS WEBSITE. Today, I am especially upset becuase some scammer cried Identidy theft of their credit card and we sent an item to them and it was delivered. Rather than open a case with Ebay they went directly to their card issuer with a chargeback. This is a dangerous place to do business at time. 

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

When you get a scammer on here there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO PROTECT YOURSELF PERIOD.

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

IF you list an IPhone on this website and especially if you are a new seller you have I would think about a 99 percent chance of being completely scammed.

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

You lost me at, "I sold an iPhone 11 PRO Max Unlocked Phone"

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

Can you report the stolen phone to Apple? 

See if they can "Brick it".

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

Yes i would have offered the return, eBay advised me to wait until the case was off hold. There was no option for me to get him an eBay label, the same labels i use when I’m selling. For some reason it wasn’t an option. The eBay rep actually supposedly notated my account on this as well, but clearly someone was lying at eBay. I will not buy or sell anything on eBay ever again. Thing is I’ve probably paid them over $5,000 in the last 3 year’s in sellers fees. I have ways to sell locally, and not have to worry about this nonsense. I had a PS5 and an Xbox series X i was going to list on eBay, this issue made me sell them locally. 

Message 15 of 60
latest reply