cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Jewlery

I listed a 14k charm bracelet. Refusing an offer of 1000 from a buyer who had promised to pay immediately, I sold it for just over 1500 to someone who did not pay or respond.  I didn't find the offer way too low but in the past, I always ended up getting more than the offer. I thought the promise to pay was a little odd. I relisted last evening and again, someone had made a $1000 offer promising to pay immediately.  I have bidders so I will let this offer go as well but if the winner does not pay again this time, I will be seriously annoyed.   Is this situation usual for Gold jewelry?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Gold Jewlery

I don't know if that is common for jewelry, but i get nervous selling anything over $100.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

@connorsvilleschool wrote:

I listed a 14k charm bracelet. Refusing an offer of 1000 from a buyer who had promised to pay immediately, I sold it for just over 1500 to someone who did not pay or respond.  I didn't find the offer way too low but in the past, I always ended up getting more than the offer. I thought the promise to pay was a little odd. I relisted last evening and again, someone had made a $1000 offer promising to pay immediately.  I have bidders so I will let this offer go as well but if the winner does not pay again this time, I will be seriously annoyed.   Is this situation usual for Gold jewelry?

It happens frequently in many categories.

BTW, you're not going to "let this offer go". Since you have bidders, eBay cancelled the offer.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

@connorsvilleschool wrote:

I have bidders so I will let this offer go as well but if the winner does not pay again this time, I will be seriously annoyed.   Is this situation usual for Gold jewelry?

Unpaid items are a constant issue for some sellers, no matter the category.

Let's say a buyer wants a widget for under $100 and there are three auctions for widgets starting at $25. He could pick one auction and bid $90 and hope he wins, but he would kick himself if his auction went to $90 and the other two sold for $50.

But what an unscrupulous buyer might do is bid $80 on all three auctions, and only pay for the one that he wins for the cheapest amount - leaving the other two sellers with unpaid items. 

And IMHO with each "sale" that results in an unpaid item, the people who are in the market for your item will see this and may start to believe either (a) these are easy to come by, (b) that you have a whole inventory of them at your disposal, or (c) you are playing games.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

@connorsvilleschool 

Bracelet is very lovely and I hope you get what you want. I myself would have listed BIN but that's me. Looks like your bidders are long timers but don't be surprised if a goose egg bidder comes flying on board and bids and doesn't pay.

Btw I love those old houses in your town!  Good luck on this piece!

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

With the number of scam's taking place these days I can't blame you especially on high target items. Electronics, gold and jewelry are easy items to sell in a lot of markets some of them less scrupulous than others. Current spot on 14K gold is about $1,000.00 an ounce. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

If I was to guess the 1K offer came from a buyer who was looking to purchase and flip or scrap or a combination of both. The 1.5K bidder may have invested in another item and didn't have the cash on hand to cover both items. 

The current bracelet you have listed is also 14K gold and will probably sell for far more than the current bit. You may want to include the weight of the bracelet in your listing or consider separating the charms and bracelet into individual items. There may be buyers interested in individual charms or the bracelet and you may get more in total for the individual pieces than you get for the whole.  It may also reduce your potential for getting scammed out of a single high value target. 

You can list the weight by grams or .xxx of an ounce. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

@dbfolks166mt 

I think the OP did weigh and show on last picture @dh. But your idea of pulling off the charms was a great idea, but it will probably sell now with 3 bids ( hopefully more).

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

I want to make money.  I love selling things for over 100 dollars.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

You do not have it listed as "Immediate Payment Required", so the buyer has at least 4 days to pay.

On the 5th day, eBay would automatically cancel the transaction, refund your FVF and give the buyer a strike.

Surely, with your experience, you are aware of this.

This situation is usual for ANY listing, but it would probably be more prevalent with high dollar items. 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

@soh.maryl wrote:

You do not have it listed as "Immediate Payment Required", 

It sold at auction, so IPR would not have been in effect even if they had also set a BIN price.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

I did not involve "Make an Offer".  They are just making them.  I wondered if there was conspiracy since offers are so similar.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

Thanks!  I thought they may be playing games with me.  Everyone involved goes to the blocked bidder list. It seems to be all I can do.  I didn't want to say oh woe is me and don't bid if you can't pay etc.  This is an obvious one of it's kind.  Vintage /antique I have more and different  and this may help me work out a few bugs prior to listing the next items. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

Thanks!  I have no clue as to value other than what scrap prices would be.  I seem to get more sold starting low, and I am hoping to exchange stuff for money (home repair).  I cast my fate to the wind 🙂

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Gold Jewlery

Thanks - I may do that next time!  I've been a collector myself and thought the charm connections were part of the interest.  This one is not so very old so that may not be the case here. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply