cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting buyer contact information

When we go to advanced search we enter the item number of an unpaid item and the result is 

No exact matches found

We'd like to get the buyers contact information which used to be available in advanced search so we would have the buyer's phone number in cases where they have not responded to messages after several days.

How to get buyers contact information? Thanks.

I remember a situation some years ago when the buyer was absent for well over a week and from contact information we were able to get their address and sent them a letter in the mail and there were very understandable reasons why they had not responded. The letter to them got the item paid for and shipped

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You'd have to go to your Orders: Awaiting Payment page and see the contact info from the order there.  However, I would be quite annoyed at a seller who contacted me in any way other than a simple eBay message, and you're likely to find the same from most of your customers.  I would just set it up to cancel automatically after whatever timeframe you're comfortable with, let eBay handle reminding the buyer to pay, and leave it at that.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

The search only looks at active listings. On the results page, click on the 'Sold" option in that column of options on the left.

I am surprised that you got effective results by sending the nonpaying buyer a letter. I doubt that would work in most cases. I'd just cancel the transaction based on nonpayment, and move on.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

eBay offers sellers a fairly simple solution.  If your buyer hasn't paid within 4 days, why not simply cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason.

If there is a genuine reason that the buyer did not pay, shouldn't the buyer have contacted you and requested more time?  

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

You'd have to go to your Orders: Awaiting Payment page and see the contact info from the order there.  However, I would be quite annoyed at a seller who contacted me in any way other than a simple eBay message, and you're likely to find the same from most of your customers.  I would just set it up to cancel automatically after whatever timeframe you're comfortable with, let eBay handle reminding the buyer to pay, and leave it at that.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

I suggest you DO NOT attempt to contact that buyer. They either pay, or they do not pay. After 4 days cancel for unpaid and move on.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Why would you want to harass a buyer over non-payment? Of all the questions asked here, the one that baffles me is the major distress many sellers go through when a buyer does not pay.

With me it is simple, buyer pays, I ship. Buyer does not pay I let it time out and simply relist the item. It does not bother me one bit. Buyers are allowed to change their mind. Stores every day empty shopping carts with items that never made it to the cashier. Forcing a buyer to pay is cruising for a return nightmare and negatives. 

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

You "let it time out"? You don't cancel using buyer did not pay as the reason?

Or do you have your listings set to do that automatically after 96 hours?  

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Yes, I am set up so that eBay cancels it for me. That is what I meant by letting it time out. 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

None of the options above give anything other than the buyers complete mailing address.

The amount of time allowed before "opening a dispute" has not expired.

Ebay suposedly sent them a reminder on day 2 and I sent a thank for your bid....on day3.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Actually, from an order page for an order pending payment, I checked and we can see a custom eBay email address (I would just use eBay Messages), and in at least one case, a phone number.  Not that I would ever call a non-paying customer, but the info was there.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

I would cancel the transaction after 96 hours citing buyer didn’t pay, get your fvf credited and relist.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Why would you not just wait the usual 96 hours and then cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason?

It's somewhat hard to understand why a seller wouldn't activate the only good tool he has for a nonpaying bidder.  

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

I disagree that it (open a dispute) is the only good tool for a buyer who has not yet paid in the early days or a week or so after the auction ended.

-----------------

We want the buyer to complete the auction because they bid based on the price, condition and shipping cost. It is a "hard to sell" item and we don't want to lose the sale. Years ago under advanced you could access all buyer or user data with the item number. Now you can only search "sellers." When the buyer was notified that the seller had asked for their personal information (address and phone) and the seller was"given it" by the advanced searched tool, they "remembered" oh we have yet to pay. I will wait beyond the 96 hours to accommodate the buyer. 

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Why would you not just wait the usual 96 hours and then cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason?

It's somewhat hard to understand why a seller wouldn't activate the only good tool he has for a nonpaying bidder.  

You know, @soh.maryl... you just blew my mind. My settings were at 'Automatically cancel unpaid items' and I had the '4 days' ticked, but now I don't know if they'd be cancelled like I'd like to see it done... with a UI strike imposed.

I'm changing mine back to 7 days, so that I can cancel citing 'Buyer didn't pay' on my own after 96 hours. Thanks! 😉

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

I've seen a phone number provided after a buyer pays, probably just in case of delivery problems.  I'm not sure it even stays visible very long.  The option you are talking about to request contact information has been gone for some time--probably due to complaints.   I don't think many wish to be called over an ebay purchase and probably complained to ebay about the intrusion and ebay doesn't want us tempted to sell outside the platform via a phone call.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply