cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTC Question

I just have a very simple question about this:

If I just use my 50 free fixed-price listings, and never accept any free/promo offers, will i never be charged insertion fees?  Or is there something I am missing that will trip me up and I'll end up paying insertion fees somehow?

As far as I can tell, if I just refuse to use any promo/free FIXED PRICE listings, I won't be charged additional fees for the auto-renewals, right? 

In other words, can I just set the 50 free fixed price listings to run and forget about them without having to end them before they autorenew?

And what about adding in free auction listings...if ebay offers free listings for AUCTION only, no matter  how many of those I accept/use, I should not get insertion fees, right?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: GTC Question

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Well if you ad starts on the first of January, it will relist again Jan. 31.  So a few times a year, eBay will get you unless of course, you sell or 50 of your items or you end them before they relist.

This isn't quite accurate.    If you were to start a listing on 5/1, you are correct it would currently renew on 5/31.  But after that it does not renew in the same month for over 2 years

http://www.isdntek.com/listingtools/billingcycles.htm

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 44
latest reply

@weschurch wrote:

You can't look at this as anything other than a money grab. By FORCING something that was previously optional, it beings up a simple question.

What was it "hurting" when it was optional?

Ebay has told us their PERCEIVED "benefits" of using it, but what is the goal of FORCING it?

So if "Joe Seller" doesn't want to use it, despite Ebays claims of how great it is, what was the harm in that? Were they still not getting the listing fee, thus paying for the adspace? 

The only LOGICAL conclusion in ramming it down Sellers throats is that they see a financial benefit to collect money on items not selling and renewing at a fee. If that wasn't it, it would have remained optional. Its scummy, works in direct conflict with the goal of Sellers, and is insulting in that they are disguising this as a benefit to you.

If you can't tell me what it was "hurting" by being optional, the only conclusion one can draw is its a money grab, which is ENTIRELY what it is.

Sure we can and some do.  I understand you don't see it that way and that is fine.  But not everyone sees it as you do and that is fine too.

I too question why mandate it.  But they have, so we must deal with it.  

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

@weschurch wrote:

You can't look at this as anything other than a money grab. By FORCING something that was previously optional, it beings up a simple question.

What was it "hurting" when it was optional?

Ebay has told us their PERCEIVED "benefits" of using it, but what is the goal of FORCING it?

So if "Joe Seller" doesn't want to use it, despite Ebays claims of how great it is, what was the harm in that? Were they still not getting the listing fee, thus paying for the adspace? 

The only LOGICAL conclusion in ramming it down Sellers throats is that they see a financial benefit to collect money on items not selling and renewing at a fee. If that wasn't it, it would have remained optional. Its scummy, works in direct conflict with the goal of Sellers, and is insulting in that they are disguising this as a benefit to you.

If you can't tell me what it was "hurting" by being optional, the only conclusion one can draw is its a money grab, which is ENTIRELY what it is.

Won't get a nickle from me  for GTC auto-relisting fees unless I have some sort of extended personal outage.

I won't list early in the month.

I will stagger my listing end times so that if something that I do not want relisted that could potentially cause me to exceed my allotment gets by during a temporary lapse in attention, or other reason, I will be able to end something else to stay within my limits.

If they wanted to do a money grab they could just tweak their fees. Nothing we could do about that except quit. That would be a poor business model.

The results of the GTC change is completely within our control.

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

I’ve been left very confused about whether I can add extra promotional listings offered by ebay if we already have our 50 GTC listings filled. Can we add additional auction listings, if that is the offer? I’m seeing no way to know when a GTC listing has reached 30 days unless I now keep a very strict accounting of what I’ve listed on any particular day. I don’t want my 50 listings to be the same ones every month. I loved the way this was working for me before this new ruling.

I am a small seller and found that a store wasn’t reasonable for me given the small number of sales per month. And yet, I was happy to create my listings through the month and make those sales.

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

@phyllis235art wrote:

I’ve been left very confused about whether I can add extra promotional listings offered by ebay if we already have our 50 GTC listings filled. Can we add additional auction listings, if that is the offer? I’m seeing no way to know when a GTC listing has reached 30 days unless I now keep a very strict accounting of what I’ve listed on any particular day. I don’t want my 50 listings to be the same ones every month. I loved the way this was working for me before this new ruling.

I am a small seller and found that a store wasn’t reasonable for me given the small number of sales per month. And yet, I was happy to create my listings through the month and make those sales.

You can track your listings in the Seller Hub or My Ebay, whichever you use.  You don't have to do it manually.  Go to whichever you use and look at your active listings.  You have the ability to see the start dates and end dates of all your active listings.  You can sort the columns by clicking on the column heading.  

You may notice on the upper right side of some of the screens there is a word that is underlined "customize".  You can click on that and you get all the options of various info you can have appear on this page.

If you don't know which you have the Seller Hub or My Ebay.  Look at the very top of this Ebay page.  See the small word that says MY EBAY.

Hover over the words My Ebay.  A drop down menu will appear, select SELLING.

This will take you to a screen where you can more easily manage your little Ebay business.  Play around with it, see all the stuff it has to offer you by way of information and help.  Come on back after you have worked with it for awhile and ask all the questions you need to.

@phyllis235art 

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

Thank you so much. I switched back to the classic format and All Selling, and there were the ending dates for all my listings. Still not sure about whether I can go above my usual 50 listings if all are GTC but there’s an offer to use extra listings at auction. Does that still remain allowed? 

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

@phyllis235art wrote: .... Still not sure about whether I can go above my usual 50 listings if all are GTC but there’s an offer to use extra listings at auction. Does that still remain allowed? 

It's not clear what you're asking.  When a GTC listing rolls over, it will use one of your free insertions if available; otherwise, you're charged the regular final value fee for a fixed price listing. The free insertion could be one of your regular 50 or an offer with terms that include GTC listings.

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

@phyllis235art wrote:

Thank you so much. I switched back to the classic format and All Selling, and there were the ending dates for all my listings. Still not sure about whether I can go above my usual 50 listings if all are GTC but there’s an offer to use extra listings at auction. Does that still remain allowed? 

There are two things you need to understand if you want to go beyond 50 listings.

1.  Do you have selling limits.  If you do, your active listings can't go beyond that number.  So whether that involves 10 listings or 100 listings.  You can't exceed your selling limit.

2.  On ALL listings that you post that go beyond your Free allotment for that month, you will be charged an insertion fee.

Also if your selling limit gets in your way.  Ebay allows sellers to CALL in and ask for their selling limits to be raised once every 30 days.  So continue to do that until you have a number that is really comfortable for you.  They should raise it each time as long as your account is in good standing.

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

The update is that they changed the initial promise of relisting fees being waived if items don't sell. Now every relisting is charged. Yes, this affects small sellers by forcing us to be even smaller. I had top rated seller status for a hot minute before it was killed by being limited to 50 listings and my sales plummeting to nearly nothing.
Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@mrsboyink wrote:
The update is that they changed the initial promise of relisting fees being waived if items don't sell. Now every relisting is charged. Yes, this affects small sellers by forcing us to be even smaller. I had top rated seller status for a hot minute before it was killed by being limited to 50 listings and my sales plummeting to nearly nothing.

@mrsboyink 

What "initial promise"?  Are you talking about your monthly allotment of free listings?  If so, those free listings are as stated, you get to list things free for 30 days.  Listings that renew, relisted, sell similar or are brand new listings are also free to list IF you have more free listings left in your monthly allotment.

You may want to consider a store.  A starter store is only 4.95 per month and that gives you 100 free listings per month.  Perhaps that would enable to get more sales and easily pay for the store subscription fee with the added sales.  Just a thought to consider.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/run-your-store/subscriptions-and-fees.html

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

You can use any free offers that Ebay sends you as long as you don't go over your selling limit in dollars items per month. That is not your free allotment, but an amount based on your sales history and feedback, which can be found on your seller dashboard.

The only complication comes when those free listings relist. If you don't have a free listing available you will be charged an insertion fee at that time. You can end any of the listings before they auto renew however to avoid that listing fee. Which can be found on the overview page. 

You can end the listings from the drop down listing next to the listing or select several, when on the overview page ,and end them all at once using the button at the bottom or top header, of the active listings overview section.

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

Sorry BUT GTC HAS NOT been used in 80% of the listings for years rather the 80% figure represents the percentage of total Ebay listings that are Fixed price listings---Fixed Price listings amount to 80% of all listings on Ebay
Message 42 of 44
latest reply

@kittykat.949 wrote:
Sorry BUT GTC HAS NOT been used in 80% of the listings for years rather the 80% figure represents the percentage of total Ebay listings that are Fixed price listings---Fixed Price listings amount to 80% of all listings on Ebay

Yes you are correct.  This has been misquoted on the threads.

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

Message 44 of 44
latest reply