cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GSP and Free returns

Hi! So I understand there will be separate return policies available soon ...

BUT GSP is NOT technically another country , what will happen when a GSP buyer wants to use the FREE RETURN option ?  Will they be blocked from using ?  @Anonymous alan@ebay  Thanks! 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: GSP and Free returns

I would be careful about offering free returns right now though if the gsp is being used.  When I look at the search page and a gsp seller offers free returns, I see that right in the search page so as a buyer, I would expect that would apply to me too.  Perhaps ebay would disagree but its all about buyer perception.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@pjcdn2005wrote:

I agree with Jen and tunicaslot. The wording they use there isn't really specific enough as when they refer to returns, they are referring to remorse returns. However the new wording is more specific.

The buyer files an eBay Money Back Guarantee. What do I do?

Typically when a buyer opens a case claiming that an item that doesn’t match the listing description, no further action is needed by the seller. If further action is needed both seller and buyer will be contacted by an eBay Customer Service representative.

However, if the item was damaged when it arrived at the Global Shipping Center, or if an item is defective or not described properly, the seller would then be responsible for the refund.

Are international returns supported through the Program?

With a few exceptions, international returns are not supported through the Global Shipping Program at this time. eBay may choose not to display the returns policy field of your GSP listings to international buyers unless you set your returns policy to no returns or exchanges. If you wish to accept international returns, you should describe your international returns policy in your listing description. The returns policy that you specify in your listing description of a GSP item will apply to your buyer's purchase of the GSP item, unless your policy is inconsistent with local legal requirements in the country where your buyer is located. You are responsible for complying with all laws and regulations about returns that may be applicable to the sale of GSP items to international buyers.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/faq/global-shipping.html#m22_tb_a11__3

That particular paragraph is downright scary! Further action is always required. The seller is always required to respond to the case! And in the case of a damaged item, the seller HAS to call ebay and tell them it was a GSP sale. otherwise when the buyer escalates, the seller is held responsible because the resolution center bots can't pickup that it was a gsp sale.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I would certainly phone if I was in that situation. I think that I have heard of a situation where the seller didn't have to phone and gsp refunded automatically but I don't think that it the norm.

Ebay doesn't seem to realize that their resolution center systems do not always work in the same way that they think they do.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

At the moment, most Disputes that involve GSP are damage or delay problems.

And GSP refunds themselves and tells the buyer to keep the damaged item (and they don't want the delayed/non-delivered item either).

GSP just treats it as a business expense.

So we are dealing with buyer's remorse or seller error.

If it is a buyer remorse item, it is up to the buyer to return the item on his own dime. This includes dealing with GSP for return of import fees. (Because the buyer did not pay duty and sales taxes-- GSP paid them out of the import fees the buyer paid. It's a technicality but it means his government will not refund the duty and sales tax to the buyer.)

If it was a seller error, the seller has to step up and pay return shipping and make arrangements for the return of the duty and sales taxes.  Fortuneately this is the least likely scenario.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

how does a seller send an overseas buyer a return shipping label?
It is not possible,US sellers have no access to buyer country post office,it would have to be a shipping label from his post office?
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

You don't ebay employees suggest you send them a paypal for the return shipping amount or abandon the merchandise. Most will select abandon anything else is tossing money down the ebay rat hole...

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@bubbleman2010wrote:

You don't ebay employees suggest you send them a paypal for the return shipping amount or abandon the merchandise. Most will select abandon anything else is tossing money down the ebay rat hole...

Not necessarily.  I know of at least a couple of sellers that were able to get their money back from PP  for the label when the buyer did not purchase a return label or return the item.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missjen831 wrote:

@dbmm-mediawrote:

The Global Shipping Program (or “GSP”) provides a safe and easy way for sellers to “sell internationally and ship domestically.” The details are taken care of—from helping identify which types of items can be sold where, to completing customs forms, to calculating and providing international shipping with tracking.

All international shipping and import charges are calculated automatically and paid for by the buyer upon checkout. Once an item is sold, the seller sends it to the Global Shipping Center using the shipping method of their choice. After the purchased item arrives at the Shipping Center, the seller’s job is done

That refers only to shipping the item out. It doesn’t mean the transaction is done at that point. @Anonymous Can you please confirm that using the GSP does not absolve the seller from all responsibility once the item is shipped to the GSP? The GSP does not handle returns period. The seller is still responsible for remorse returns and non-damaged item SNADs. Thank you!

Hi @missjen831 & @dbmm-media, happy to clear up the confusion; if an item arrives safely to the Global Shipping sort facility in Erlanger, KY, the seller is protected from an item not received request. The Global Shipping Program will also inspect the item to ensure it was not damaged or tampered with in transit, protecting the seller from any further damage that may occur in transit.

This being said, if the buyer receives the item in the destination country and the item does not match the description in the listing (wrong size, wrong color, inaccurate condition, defective product, etc.), the seller would be responsible for accepting the item back at their cost. Shipping through the Global Shipping Program does not absolve a seller from all responsibility, it simply provides additional protections for loss or damage in transit. It would not protect a seller if we have reason to believe they did not describe their item correctly.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply