cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freight forwarders

Hello sellers--- In the past, I have not had any problems with buyers that have used freight forwarders.  I have a new sale  mail. I have packaged and shipped.  It was paid through a U. S. paypal account. The buyer has few but very good feedbacks.  Buyer has been member since January 21, 2020 in the Russian Federation.  I do not sell outside the 48 mainland U. S. and have marked that on ebay and paypal.  I am mildly concerned because the good reviews were probably written before the items arrived in Russia and before problems could erupt. Is using a freight forwarder circumventing my sales parameters ?  I know that previously using a forwarder negated some buyer rights but I think that has been changed.  Any ideas? Thank you. 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Freight forwarders

@monster-deals wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

So if we can't get a hold of the buyer or he refuses info, we would need a registered letter from the forwarding company confirming what we already knew but Ebay won't believe.

Another tweak of ebay policy rendering it completely useless to protect a seller.

How many more useless seller protections do we need?

How many useless ebay features as well?

Vacation settings?

Block a user?

What parts of ebay can a seller actually use to protect themselves? None of them?

Message 46 of 48
latest reply

Freight forwarders

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ittybitnot wrote:

Triton, with all due respect, your answer shifting responsibility to the seller to prove a package mailed to a freight forwarder was or was not actually forwarded in order to receive protections is unworkable because the seller is not able to obtain or in control of that information.  

Basically, it is "unworkable" for the seller.  For ebay it is likely 'working as intended'. 

Hi @ittybitnot, I did not mean to give any indication that a seller is responsible for proving anything like what you've described. Ultimately, it is unlikely that a seller would be able to prove an item was forwarded as a forwarding company will not usually provide information about one of their customers. I was asked what would constitute as proof, and I provided examples. This should not be interpreted as instruction for sellers to attempt to prove something about their buyer.

This will be my final response on this thread, as past experience has shown that discussions surrounding this topic are unproductive. To summarize, we have protections available when an item has been forwarded beyond the original shipping location. Using a freight forwarder is an incredibly common practice for international buyers and does not in itself constitute any red flags or cause for concern. We offer protection for an item being forwarded simply because a seller cannot be responsible for what happens to the item in transit under the care of a courier they did not hire - the buyer using a freight forwarder is not some sort of fraudulent behavior and many, many sellers have nothing but positive experiences with buyers who use freight forwarders. 

I strongly encourage sellers to not spend time attempting to discover if the delivery address was a freight forwarder as this would not constitute proof that the item was forwarded. Consider communicating with your buyer professionally to ask them if they used a freight forwarder, or simply work with your buyer to resolve their concerns. 

Message 47 of 48
latest reply

Freight forwarders

@Anonymous wrote:

Using a freight forwarder is an incredibly common practice for international buyers and does not in itself constitute any red flags or cause for concern.

It does now since you just told sellers that they can't protect themselves any longer. 

Now it is ALL red flags thanks to this policy change.

Message 48 of 48
latest reply