cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns

I am a small seller on Ebay, I have never been a TRS, and I don't want to be. I keep getting messages from Ebay telling me that I need to revise my items and give them free returns. Between shipping, ebay fees, and paypal fees, and the cost of making the item, if I return it for free I make zilch on the item. Nada, nothing, as it is, I may have to pay out of pocket to return an item, making negative dollars. Also, I could not resell the item after it has been used. What is the answer? Go elsewhere to sell? Stop selling altogether? I am retired, live on a very small fixed income, and enjoy the small amount of extra money I make occasionally on ebay. Now they want to take even that little bit away! Makes me angry, but what can I do?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Free Returns

I went in to edit returns on the listing they tell me are noncompliant.  I was surprised to see that 14 days was still an option.  So yes, they need to remove it as an option if it's not an option.  That's kind of basic, but then lots of things ebay can't seem to do right are pretty basic.

As for TRS, if you're a small seller that sells one or two items a month you will not qualify for TRS.  So it's kind of a moot point to small sellers.

Out of sheer annoyance I went in and chose no returns.  At least that will stop the flood of ebay emails.  Yes, people can still return but since ebay is in the process of stripping our options away and forcing us to pay for unwaranted returns anyway, i have nothing to loose and nothing to gain no matter what I choose.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Free Returns

You can have free returns.

However do know if a buyer files SNAD, even if he lies, then you have to pay for return shipping.

So it is basically as before.  You can accept 30 day returns, 60 day returns, or no returns if it is for remorse.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

Ebay certainly is encouraging sellers to offer free returns, but it isn't a requirement and many of us are not doing so.  I just got a message to revise my return policy on one of my listings that had a 14 day return policy for an item in a category where that is no longer allowed.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

You don't need to offer free returns, it's just Ebay requeriments for Top seller accounts

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

ebay sucks.  just have to through that out there.  we are the equivilant of 1920's 

share croppers with horrible landlords and no realistic 2nd option.  to get my measly 10% discount i have to offer free returns.  so things will be the same with the multitude of liar buyers i deal with but now have to pay for the returns of people who dont bother figure out what they need before they buy.

" is that the correct part you need" 

" not sure but why should i care. i dont pay for the return" 

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

@sandstonelake

Hi, I am in the same boat as you. Ignore those emails. You don't have to offer free returns. However, what Category you list in now determines what Return Policy applies. As an example, Clothing now requires 30 day returns. Up to you if you choose 30 days with buyer pays return shipping, or 30 days free shipping. The Collectibles & Art Categories can remain at 14 day returns. And no matter if you sell brand new or Pre-owned. Hope this is helpful. 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

I keep getting messages from Ebay telling me that I need to revise my items and give them free returns.

Free Returns aren't required.  Are you sure eBay is not telling you to change your return policy to 30 days?  14 days is no longer allowed for most categories.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

I have never been a TRS

I have never understood why people say this. TRS saves me between $1 and $2 on every single first class international package I send, and it does not require me to adopt any of eBay's practices like 1 day handling or free shipping or free returns.

What is the answer? Go elsewhere to sell? Stop selling altogether? Makes me angry, but what can I do?

How about just ignoring them instead?

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

What ebay is telling me is that all my items have an unsupported return policy and that I need to change them. Whatever that means....I checked the box of the return policy I wanted when I listed... if it isn't right they should remove it...
Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

"I have never been a TRS, and I don't want to be".

Therein lies the answer. However keep in mind you may involuntarily not have the opportunity to provide a return label, not get the product back and yet still suffer a full refund anytime a some dishonest buyer makes any type of complaint.

The problem with customer service is what happens in customer service, stays in customer service in some foreign land where the quality of English doesn't even rise to the level of a second language, all far away from the disinterested eyes and ears of policy makers here.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

What ebay is telling me is that all my items have an unsupported return policy and that I need to change them. Whatever that means

It means all your items have an unsupported return policy and you need to change them.

if it isn't right they should remove it

If the return policy you have currently selected for your items is no longer supported, eBay cannot simply "remove it". eBay should not be in the business of trying to guess what return policy you would prefer to use in its place. That is up to you.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

@sandstonelake wrote:
What ebay is telling me is that all my items have an unsupported return policy and that I need to change them. Whatever that means....I checked the box of the return policy I wanted when I listed... if it isn't right they should remove it...

That is the same email I just got.  I revised my listing from 14 day to 30 day returns.  I do not offer free returns, though.

I actually thought that 14 day returns wasn't an option now when listing, unless the category allowed it, but the listing I was alerted to was a new listing of mine.  Most things I list do not offer 14 day in the options now, but if it is there, I have started picking it.  Weird, this one got flagged, though, so I guess ebay hasn't figured out which categories to remove it from either on the listing forms.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

@sandstonelake

I agree that if you enter a return field eBay does not accept, a warning should come up "can't do that....fix it before listing is accepted...". 

I sell in Clothing. eBay's deadline to fix your return policies was June 1. However, up until I think second week in June I still put clothing at 14 days. Got a warning, but eBay still accepted the listings. I then worried that if a buyer bought at the 14 day return and should have been 30, what liability would I face? I just went in and revised them to the correct return of 30. 

So eBay isn't stopping you cold from listing right now since I did hear that in August they WILL just change it to what they think it should be without your authorization. If it were me? I would go into each of your active listings and change to what it should be according to the specific Category rather than guessing where/what eBay will do. I want to control what my listing offers. Assume you would, too.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

@luckythewinner

Hey! lucky the Loser! I hope I have the correct poster lolol from years ago. The vinyl king! You helped me out many years ago with your record knowledge!

In answer to your second reply in RED...No, what has to happen is when you initially list or re-list an item, eBay should come back with "your selected category requires..." and then Not allow the seller to list until seller fixes it. eBay is currently allowing (as of last week) you to list it incorrectly with a warning, then later eBay will revise it for you to where They think it should be.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Free Returns

Free Returns?

Not gonna happen, eBay.

... and stop trying to make it a "thing".

It is NOT an "industry standard", no matter how much or often you say it is.

We're wise to your lies.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 15 of 37
latest reply