cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent buyer scammed by business for a few thousand

I own a small business that sells mostly electronics. We had a buyer saying that a ton of items he purchased were not as described 40 days after delivery. While we did not accept returns, I accepted 14 returns from the same buyer after 40 days as a courtesy. The buyer ended up shipping 10 packages back. Anyway the buyer stole all my items and returned a bunch of worthless iPhone 7. We are talking about receiving 1 x iPhone 7 back instead of an order of 3x iPhone 12 and one iPhone 7 back instead of 2 x iPhone 13, etc. All 10 packages were worthless junk. I am out a bunch of iPhone 12 and 13 and need help. I am down over $4000 and my business can not suffer these losses. Any help will be appreciated and this has never happened to me before so please any guidance. Ebay is not willing to help me even though i showed multiple evidence that I have been robbed.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Fraudulent buyer scammed by business for a few thousand

The usual steps.

1. File a USPS Mail fraud case for each device not returned.

2. File an IC3.gov case for each device not returned.

3. File a police report in your district and in the buyers police district.  This will likely take work because most PD don't want to deal with this type of case.  Keep reminding them this is 10 mail fraud felonies.

4. Appeal all of the returns on eBay and include all of the above.  Note that the return requests were outside the 30 day MBG as well.

5. Contact eBay on Facebook and again forward all of the above evidence.

6. Don't give up.

7. If you have the IMEs for the devices, take the above evidence to the Apple store and try to get the phones disabled.  A few years back this caused the buyer to contact the seller to complain (it was an INR) but that message was proof the buyer had the phone and it was working.  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

@minttech wrote:

Yes it is a General Delivery.

Nevertheless, I would think the recipient would have to show ID that matches the name on the package(s) in order to claim them. I would definitely want to see what that local PO can produce for evidence of the delivery or pickup.

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

That is the problem with PO boxes you don't have the persons actual address so you will need an assist from the local police department to run down the scammer. 

...and the local postmaster, since you need ID to rent a PO Box. The post office should have the ID of the person who opened that PO Box.

This is the place to go. Call the post office in the buyer's city, explain the situation and tell them you need to know the home address of the person who rented p.o. box # (fill in the blank). You may have to send them a copy of a police report in order to get the information. 

In order to rent a post office box, an ID needs to be presented so they do know the identity and address of the buyer. 

@minttech 

This would definitely be a case for small claims court. You might even get a call from some of the TV court shows if they think the case would be of interest to the viewing public! I've seen several ebay cases on Judge Judy. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

@minttech wrote:

Address is 175 N Chestnut in Bath PA which is a post office. Thats all. No Po Box number but i assumed it must be a po box as that address is a post office. 

Here's the info for that location. The direct phone number is in red.  Ask for the postmaster or location manager.

BATH  Post Office™

175 N CHESTNUT ST

BATH, PA 18014-9998

1-800-ASK-USPS® (800-275-8777)

Phone 610-837-0411

TTY 877-889-2457

Print

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

The usual steps.

1. File a USPS Mail fraud case for each device not returned.

2. File an IC3.gov case for each device not returned.

3. File a police report in your district and in the buyers police district.  This will likely take work because most PD don't want to deal with this type of case.  Keep reminding them this is 10 mail fraud felonies.

4. Appeal all of the returns on eBay and include all of the above.  Note that the return requests were outside the 30 day MBG as well.

5. Contact eBay on Facebook and again forward all of the above evidence.

6. Don't give up.

7. If you have the IMEs for the devices, take the above evidence to the Apple store and try to get the phones disabled.  A few years back this caused the buyer to contact the seller to complain (it was an INR) but that message was proof the buyer had the phone and it was working.  

If you have the IMEI numbers of the phones you don't have to go to the Apple, or any other, store you can simply enter them into the IMEI blacklist site and it make the phone pretty much useless to the person that has it. I don't sell cell phones but I lost one once that I reported to the IMEI blacklist site. The phone was later recovered and the process to get it removed from the blacklist was extensive. 

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

HI, I have the ability to blacklist the devices, should i go ahead with that or will this impact my capability to win in small claims court

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@minttech wrote:

HI, I have the ability to blacklist the devices, should i go ahead with that or will this impact my capability to win in small claims court

If you plan to go the court route and know your buyer (so they can receive a summons) then I would do that and not report them stolen first. If you do not successfully recover them you can always report them stolen later for blacklisting purposes.

I have to say I think the odds are against you but good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply