cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First free return, Item comes back damaged. What to do?

This is my first return where I offered free returns completely paid for by the seller (me).  The problem I'm having is the item I sold, a motherboard, was returned with damage to the point where it no longer functions.

There are multiple pins bent in the CPU socket and even one that is snaped off.  The pins aren't damaged in a way that would be indicative of shipping damage, which is usually all in one area of the socket.  The damaged is spread out accross about 8 pins.  In addition, there is thermal paste on a few of them from the buyer who returned the item.  Thermal paste is a compound applied on computer parts to transfer heat but if it gets into the CPU socket it can damage the motherboard.

I put a cover over the pins to protect them from shipping damage and could understand if a few pins were bent but not broken and especially not thermal paste which can short them.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should procede?  From what I've heard I should be able to deduct an amount from the refund total to cover damages but I don't want to get any defect on my account.

I'm contacting the buyer right now just to confirm their side of the story before I take any action.  Thank you all for your help!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: First free return, Item comes back damaged. What to do?

You have to offer free returns in order to qualify.  That means you pay return shipping regardless of the return reason.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@garmentvarmint2004 wrote:

JEN

Hmm....  This seems  to be  a  rule  I was not aware of.  You said the seller could safely offer a  refund of 50%???  And Ebay allows that to be  done?  
And then you said the buyer might get aa FULL  refund from  Ebay itself? 

Well  I did not know that Ebay would ever take the  seller's  word for it--in on  ANY  Snad case.    That seems  like a BIG change in Policy.  I am suprised I missed    conversations  about that change ---on the  Discussion Boards.   Smiley Frustrated

hat

@garmentvarmint2004 It was widely discussed here when the spring 2018 seller update was released. eBay made some big changes to the top seller PLUS requirements. they eliminated restocking fees in most categories. In order to qualify for the TRS plus listing status & get the FVF discount, you have to offer free 30 day returns. And in exchange for offering free returns, there is a new seller protection if the buyer returns the item in a different condition-if they return it damaged or used. The seller can issue a partial refund up to 50%. This is only for sellers that offer free returns, and the OP here does. So that is why he can issue a partial refund. The buyer can still ask eBay to step in though but it is my understanding that IF ebay decides the buyer gets the rest of their money back, the money comes from eBay not the seller. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Alright, I sent the partial refund.  I had to fill out a box detailing why.  I spent a good 3 paragraphs going over all the details I've gathered and explained them as best as possible.

Here is the return page message

"Now that you've done your part, the buyer can either close the return or ask eBay to step in. If your buyer doesn't take action, we'll close this case on Aug 07, 2018."

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Maybe it's not even the unit you sent.  Sounds like you did the right thing, but you still lost money.Smiley Mad

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

@performance_technology wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

I would try to get the buyer to say that they damaged the item.

I'm not really a fan of tricking people.  Maybe he/she actually has a good explanation for what happened. 

I have seen number  of mod's on the powerseller boards  that  said seller needs to work the buyer into confessing   up  they broke the item and filed the phony snad . 

Yeah or Free Returns becomes Exceptionally Costly Returns

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

“Now that you've done your part, the buyer can either close the return or ask eBay to step in. If your buyer doesn't take action, we'll close this case on Aug 07, 2018."

Really!? You, the seller, have two days to diagnose and refund for the item and the “buyer” has two weeks to “take action” on their partial refund for something they used, broke, and sent back to you?

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@performance_technology wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

I would try to get the buyer to say that they damaged the item.

I'm not really a fan of tricking people.  Maybe he/she actually has a good explanation for what happened. 

Getting someone to tell the truth isn`t tricking them. Most folks don`t lie by nature but for what they feel is necessity. Remove the "necessity" and the truth will often reveal itself.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Maybe it's not even the unit you sent.  Sounds like you did the right thing, but you still lost money.Smiley Mad

That is my thought.  They might have ordered the OPs the minute theirs broke and mashing the pins is just covering up the damage on theirs while the OP's is safely installed and working.

This shows the pros and cons of free returns.  The pro is that you can refund up to 50% off - so you are not out full price (but postage both ways tends to make up for that)

The con is that even when the buyer admits that they broke it themselves (or someone else did) you can't deny, appeal or argue the point with CS about being at fault.

(*Bleep*)
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@d.clawed wrote:

“Now that you've done your part, the buyer can either close the return or ask eBay to step in. If your buyer doesn't take action, we'll close this case on Aug 07, 2018."

Really!? You, the seller, have two days to diagnose and refund for the item and the “buyer” has two weeks to “take action” on their partial refund for something they used, broke, and sent back to you?

Yep.  They recently made that change.  I expect that's going to force me to prioritize any returns over listing new products.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Is there a good way to word that to the buyer?  I don't want them to feel like I'm attacking them, I simply want them to tell the truth.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply