cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First and last time dealing with a Customs Hanger. What should I do?

First off, I didn't even know I had international sales on, didn't want them and will never do them again, especially after this first time international experience. Right out of the gate the buyer asked me to lower the declared value of the package so it wouldn't get 'stuck in customs'. I knew things were fishy right there. I told him I wouldn't and he got smug and snarky and at that point I had a really bad feeling about the whole thing and wanted to back out immediately. I called and Ebay couldn't guarantee me that they would decide in my favor and remove any possible negative feedback even though the customer had already asked me to do something illegal and I was extremely uncomfortable. This on top of the fact I never wanted to sell internationally in the first place. Well fast forward a bit and it goes through customs no problem. There has been 1 delivery attempt and it said the customer was 'carded' and now the status since April 21st (day of attempted delivery) is 'Ready for Collection'. I'm assuming that means it's at the buyers local post office and I sent him a message kindly letting him know that a delivery attempt had been made and that his item was at the post. I then copied and pasted info from the last 4 points of tracking data to show him proof. He got snippy and basically said 'No they didn't attempt to deliver, were you there? If I don't get my package I will not be happy and leaving a negative review'. I responded and said there was no need for any of that, the item is at your local post office waiting for you to pick it up. He never responded. It's been 4 days now with no pick up and no messages from the customer. Clearly this guy is trying to scam me and I'm assuming he's he's going to be a customs hanger. What can I do to avoid any negative impact on me? I know he voids his money back guarantee by refusing to pick it up at the post. I do want to keep his money if he does that, even if I get the item back to re-sell. Maybe then he'd think twice next time. I HATE scammers. This guy also has twice as many ratings as me and a 100% customer satisfaction rating. On a surface look you wouldn't think he'd be engaging in this type of thing. Any and all advice appreciated

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: First and last time dealing with a Customs Hanger. What should I do?

Welcome to being one of the sellers that eBay and EIS unilaterally transitioned to the new program and updated your listings for you. Actually international sales under EIS afford the seller a LOT of protection. On another note calling customer support these days is basically useless they often provide incorrect information or will tell you what you want to hear. 

If the item you are referencing is the following it did indeed go through EIS and I suspect you sent it to the Chicago EIS hub. That is where your responsibility ends. You could have simply responded to the buyer to let them know that the package shipped through EIS and you have no control over what is placed on the customs form. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1682446790249.pngdbfolks166mt_1-1682446800850.png

Under the EIS program the seller is protected in the following situations, which is better than the protections sellers have for domestic sales. 

• When you ship internationally using eBay International Shipping, you're responsible for getting packages safely to the US shipping hub. If a buyer reports that an item was lost or damaged during international shipping or it is damaged at the hub, we'll work with the buyer to resolve the issue. You're protected from:
    • the obligation to refund the buyer
    • eBay Money Back Guarantee cases
    • payment disputes
    • open ‘Not as described’ returns in your service metrics
  • Any negative or neutral feedback related to item handling that can be attributed to the eBay International Shipping program during international transit will be removed

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

He is simply trying to avoid paying import taxes/duties. If he does not pay the tax and pick up the package, it a should eventually be returned to you. 

I would not base your decision on the possible feedback that you may receive. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Did he not already pay all of that up front through the Global Shipping Program? I believe that's how it works and I believe I saw that he did. The item was $100 + 5 dollars shipping and he paid something like $141 total that I could see on my end.

In any case, if he refuses to pick it up at his local post does that void the money back guarantee for him and mean I'm entitled to keep his money?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Welcome to being one of the sellers that eBay and EIS unilaterally transitioned to the new program and updated your listings for you. Actually international sales under EIS afford the seller a LOT of protection. On another note calling customer support these days is basically useless they often provide incorrect information or will tell you what you want to hear. 

If the item you are referencing is the following it did indeed go through EIS and I suspect you sent it to the Chicago EIS hub. That is where your responsibility ends. You could have simply responded to the buyer to let them know that the package shipped through EIS and you have no control over what is placed on the customs form. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1682446790249.pngdbfolks166mt_1-1682446800850.png

Under the EIS program the seller is protected in the following situations, which is better than the protections sellers have for domestic sales. 

• When you ship internationally using eBay International Shipping, you're responsible for getting packages safely to the US shipping hub. If a buyer reports that an item was lost or damaged during international shipping or it is damaged at the hub, we'll work with the buyer to resolve the issue. You're protected from:
    • the obligation to refund the buyer
    • eBay Money Back Guarantee cases
    • payment disputes
    • open ‘Not as described’ returns in your service metrics
  • Any negative or neutral feedback related to item handling that can be attributed to the eBay International Shipping program during international transit will be removed
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If it's EIS, then they did NOT necessarily pay all the fees in advance.  That part is different than GSP.  But, @dbfolks166mt  is correct & you are covered, if you got it to the Shipping Center in IL.  I would quit communicating with him, there's really no point & is only going to serve to annoy him.  Since you're covered, there's nothing to be gained by bugging him to pick it up. 

ETA:  BTW, what is a "Customs Hanger"?  I've never heard that term.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Creepy that you were able to hone in on me like this but I appreciate the info haha That sounds really good... maybe I WILL sell internationally. I'll just see how this goes first. Thank you

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

It's when during an international sale the customer waits forever until ebay gives them a refund or the buyer is dumb enough to grant a refund then they immediately go and get their item from customs/the post office and only end up paying the customs fee or possibly get it for free if they had already paid and then were refunded all fees.  They can even do a chargeback with their bank or credit card company to achieve their goal. Not sure if it works these days but I couldn't find many recent threads saying it didn't. Just multiple threads of dumbfounded, **bleep** off sellers that couldn't believe Ebay let this kind of thing happen.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@superpsychme   OK, thanks, I've never heard that term.  Also, never had a problem, since like you apparently used to do, I used GSP & am now in EIS, so all I ever had to do was get it to the domestic center.   But GSP charged all fees on the front end, so there was nothing that should sit in Customs, since all the fees had been paid for.   

As for chargebacks, domestic buyers can do that too, on any sale.  

BTW, nothing "creepy" at what DBfolks honed in on.  All your sales are publicly accessible, as are all your listings.   Anyone can see them.  All they did was look at your listings, here on Ebay.   Anyone here can look at any of your listings, as can the general public.  

FWIW, I've been in EIS for about 3-4 months, around 15 tx's & they all went off without a hitch except for a minor problem with one, where she was charged double Customs fees.  I was in GSP previously & all those went off with no problems too, for years.  That said, I do not sell high-scam items.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Predictably, now he is asking me where his package is even though I already told him weeks ago. Should I just not respond?

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@superpsychme wrote:

Predictably, now he is asking me where his package is even though I already told him weeks ago. Should I just not respond?

You should send them the secondary tracking number that EIS assigns. That tracking number doesn't exist until after it gets to the depot in IL so initially the buyer will only see the tracking number for the domestic portion of the journey.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

No, No, and NO.  I have sold items for $600 and $1100.  For $100???  NO THANK YOU.  You are only asking for trouble. 

Best luck on your selling journey.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Follow slippinjimmy advice and let them know the issue is now with eBay and EIS. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

So, update: Buyer has now filed an INR in which he threatened myself and ebay with lawsuits. Over a 100 dollar item he is apparently refusing to pick up at the post. I'm going to let ebay handle this and hope for the best. Fun stuff. Wish me luck!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I did, thank you. Hasn't helped matters much lol INR and now apparently lawsuits inbound 😅

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I did, thank you. Hasn't helped matters much lol INR and now apparently lawsuits inbound 

Did the INR show up in your queue and do you have to respond or has eBay informed you about the INR and said they are dealing with it since it went through EIS? Ignore the law suit issue not sure what country the buyer is in but I doubt they want to deal with legal fees over a $100 item. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply