cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Negative Feedback Has Me Confused

I sold a pewter HD figure in early October to a customer, using the Global Shipping program to get it to him in the Netherlands. It was delivered about 10 days later. I never heard from him; no feedback, nothing. But the tracking assured me he got it. 

Today...Dec. 11, he left me negative feedback. He said "Not ass per expectation from the pictures" (sic).
Now, I realize there may be a language communication issue, but the pictures I provided in the listing were extremelly clear and detailed, and very large so they could be blown up to see every bit of it. So unless the wrong item was shipped by mistake, I'm clueless as to what went wrong. 
I have emailed him asking what he meant, and said I'm not clear what the problem is. I'm hoping he will change the feedback, as it has taken me from 100% to 97.5%, and for no discernable reason!
If he isn't willing to change it, is there a chance eBay will remove it, considering it's been almost two months since he received the item? I know some say feedback isn't important, but I've been very proud of my reputation as a seller, and this hurts.
Suggestions?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: First Negative Feedback Has Me Confused

In addition to listing measurements, some add a coin, pop can, or a dollar bill to the picture, to provide size perspective.  Of course, you need to state the such an item is for comparison purposes only and will not be included with the item listed.  

I once saw a large item with a half gallon of milk beside it for perspective!  It really gave you a good idea of just how large this item was.  And of course, milk not included!

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

Measurements are not the poblem.  Seems more like the buyer thought it was a toy.

Played with it, broke it, and wants to blame the seller.

Refund is not the approiate resolution. Post a professional reply to feedback and move on.

This pewter replica was produced to show a used( welded seat post, cracked leather on seat, paint chipped fender) motorcycle. It is not intended to be flawless.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

A buyer that throws money at stuff that they have no idea what it is, is going to leave drive-by feedback anyway.

Sizing information will only help move an item faster, not protect you from noobs.

Yeah, I had a Christmas tree ornament listed a few years ago and someone bought it through the Global Shipping program. I had photos of it, specifically said it was a Christmas tree ornament, and had the dimensions in the listing. The buyer gave me negative feedback because they thought it costed too much for how small it was. (It sold for $5 + $3 first class shipping + whatever eBay charges to ship overseas.) eBay wouldn't remove the feedback. I don't use the Global Shipping program anymore because I figure foreigners are even less likely to understand what they're getting than someone from here.

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

In my offering a refund, I asked him to please send me a photo of the damage and the box. That way, if the box is damaged, I can possibly recover some of my expense through the postal insurance. 

I'm not going to just send a refund without some proof of the damage. 

And to those who think the problem was the lack of measurements, no. It wasn't. He had actually sent me an inquiry email before purchase about the shipping costs, and mentioned he has been a collector of these easy to find HD Pewter figures for years. He knew what he was getting. 

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

@redfrckle wrote:

In my offering a refund, I asked him to please send me a photo of the damage and the box. That way, if the box is damaged, I can possibly recover some of my expense through the postal insurance. 

--No you won't.

--Yes you will.

And to those who think the problem was the lack of measurements, no. It wasn't. He had actually sent me an inquiry email before purchase about the shipping costs, and mentioned he has been a collector of these easy to find HD Pewter figures for years. He knew what he was getting. 

--Doesn't matter.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

@redfrckle wrote:

I see.  So he was well aware.  Apparently not as expected just refers to the fact that it allegedly arrived broken.

Pictures will help a claim, and I hope you get them.  But a buyer does not have to send pictures and Ebay does not make it a requirement.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories said: But a buyer does not have to send pictures and Ebay does not make it a requirement.

I purchased something recently that stopped working a week later.  I contacted the seller and he asked me to send him a video to his email address (that he provided in the eBay message).

I replied and said I have no clue how to send a video but even if I did, I would not send anything to him via his email address as I prefer (and so does eBay) to keep all correspondence on eBay sent via eBay messages.  He responded by telling me if I would not send him a video that he couldn't help me.

I sent him a photo instead and said if the still photo was not proof enough, I would ask eBay to help.  

He discovered there was a better way to resolve the problem than for me to contact eBay.   

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

That seems designed to make you fail and give up. Yet another way.

This always floors me. Wanting a picture of something not working. A pic of it just sitting there, not working, proves nothing.  Much less, a video.  

It is best to keep communication on Ebay.  So nice to know he discovered that he really could help you without your having to go to Ebay.  

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

@redfrckle wrote:

We're just saying in the future - it is best to add measurements - just as it would be best to add that the seat was soldered by the company before being released. The more details you can give a buyer - the quicker your item will sell as they see you took the time to add all the little extras.

I'd also add - this is not a toy but a collectible item. We have all types of buyers here - sometimes you have to list as if they have no pictures to look at. Even then - some people just look at the pictures and don't read.

Don't be too upset with the neg. It comes with the territory. I got one this week on a BO because the buyer was upset that this vintage clothing, with measurments included in listing and a Please see measurements! in the used description box, didn't fit like his other modern large sweatshirts. I reply professionally and the buyer is the one who looks like they didn't read - which they didn't. Sometimes a professional response will get you more business than having 100% feedback as I've been informed many buyers feel that sellers can call and get negative feedback removed easily. You let the feedback stand - add a professional response and future buyers can judge for themselves who didn't do their job.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@redfrckle wrote:

I believe your "postal insurance" ended when the item got to the GSP center in good condition.  Any claim of damage, (which there was none by the buyer) would fall on the GPS/Pitney Bowes after that.

Your buyer admitted breaking the item trying to straighten the tail light?  As a pewter replica of a used motor cycle is it possible that it was produced with the tail light bent just as the seat is torn, seat post appears as welded, fender paint is chipped to replicate a used vintage item?  Maybe your buyer "collector" is not that great of a collector.

Why would you refund for damaged caused by a buyer?  Is the negative that bothersome that you want to attempt to buy a positive. Just respond with facts.

My 1st hurt. Neg with no contact.  Move on.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply