cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback

I am really frustrated.  When I sell items I always leave feedback as soon as possible for my buyers.  Most of them pay really quickly & I feel it is nice to let other people know this.  The thing is, I have a hard time getting buyers to leave feedback for me.  I give them some time- then I send them a message to leave feedback for me.  I give them a little more time & send another reminder message.  Sometimes, I will contact them a THIRD time.  This is all over a period of 3-4 weeks.

We all depend on our feedback to build our reputation on ebay.  It's not like I expect every single person to leave me perfect feedback- although I strive to provide good service.  If they leave me positive feedback- great!  If not, I know what I need to improve on.  Why don't people leave feedback?  I think I am going to start delaying my feedback for others.  Some might not agree with me, but it should be a mutual effort.

Message 1 of 115
latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

Feedback

@dennis334 wrote:

As a buyer, I almost instantly pay for my item through Paypal....but what bothers me, Ive had several sellers that never leave me a feedback. As a buyer, I'm not going to be the first one to leave a feedback....is this me or am I crazy to think this. As a seller, you rate my promptness to pay for the item, as a buyer, I leave the feedback when I get the item.....and like it's been said before, I will never ask for a feedback from a seller because he's waiting on mine....anyone feel the same?

No, you're completely wrong. First, how is a seller "rating" you if they can only give you a positive? Second, do you really think your obligation ends with paying? Third, it's VOLUNTARY.

Message 91 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

If you have put the item in the box and sent it on its way to the buyer, you're satisfied with the transaction. If you're ever going to leave feedback, that's the time to do it.

The buyer's decision to leave feedback or not has nothing to do with your satisfaction with the deal. In fact.. if it does, eBay considers what you're doing feedback extortion

If there's an issue later, you know that eBay is going to force you to deal with it regardless of the customer's attitude or even whether he's in the wrong. 

Message 92 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

It is something that buyers don't leave feedback, I have a few chooice words for them but I will stay silent, but here's what I do. After I sell I don't leave any feedback until the buyer does, if the buyer leaves feedback I will follow suit, if they leave no feedback then they get no feedback, thats just the way I will do it for now on. Might not sound like a good selling point but i'm sick and tired selling shipping everything has fast and carefully packed now I just take my time and if I get feedback I'll give it in return. Give me none you get none.

Message 93 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

I totally agree.
According to eBay, feedback helps the buyer/seller get the recognition they deserve, but eBay does not enforce the issue.
Message 94 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

@dekyffe wrote:
I totally agree.
According to eBay, feedback helps the buyer/seller get the recognition they deserve, but eBay does not enforce the issue.

Why do buyers need recognition? 

Message 95 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

That bothers me too.  I did read whete Ebay suggest you don't ask for feedback, so I don't,  but I still have some people that just don't do it. I have had people leave feedback like 2 months later, which is bizarre,  but I'll take it. 

Message 96 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

@oliver-166066 wrote:

It is something that buyers don't leave feedback, I have a few chooice words for them but I will stay silent, but here's what I do. After I sell I don't leave any feedback until the buyer does, if the buyer leaves feedback I will follow suit, if they leave no feedback then they get no feedback, thats just the way I will do it for now on. Might not sound like a good selling point but i'm sick and tired selling shipping everything has fast and carefully packed now I just take my time and if I get feedback I'll give it in return. Give me none you get none.

I learned this very late in my selling time here. When I opened my first account many years ago, it was always mutual (also buyer's could get neg, but I never needed that). There was no question, even without it being mandatory.

Now, selling many more items in the last couple of years, I see that my feedback received is practically blank (relative to my sales, that is). From reading the threads here, I learned my lesson: to not give feedback until I get it. If the buyer is playing a game of chicken with me, fine then. And I provide great service. Ship the next day, upgrade shipping, answer every question within hours, try to work out any issues (I've had buyers that couldn't pay until later, that had special requests, etc.). It's not extortion, it's acting in kind.

To anyone saying that feedback is just useless numbers and all that matters is the dollars received, buyers trust a seller moreso with extensive good feedback (or stay away from bad feedback!). I know I do. As a buyer, I want to see a lot of good words from other buyers. If you have thousands of dollars in sales and no feedback, that means nothing to future buyers. They can't see that or what happened. That eBay makes no attempt to gently remind the buyer to leave feedback (now that they have no fear of supposed "retaliatory neg FB") is insulting. They want us to be highly rated sellers and we get pretty little stars, but those numbers matter, and no one cares!

It's not petty or childish to not give feedback, as a seller. You had to pay me otherwise you wouldn't be a buyer (not that anyone would know if you didn't pay). I, the seller, had to do a lot to make sure you're happy. You got your item. You are happy with what transpired (presumably) and if you're not, I can't help or change. I'm supposed to leave (ONLY) positive feedback because you "earned" the title of buyer? I'm supposed to leave feedback as soon as I print the label? When you didn't read and you think I'm a big box store that can afford to pay shipping both ways because you didn't realize the book was a third edition or the hardcover version or that the coins weren't actual silver or there was no game included with the manual when I said so in three places? And then you demand immediate gratification lest you involve eBay, who's suddenly invested? That's extortion!

And I would never ASK for feedback. I'm not stupid. I know what happens when you pester the buyer. So I simply hope they see their feedback didn't go up and think, huh, I bought a thing, maybe I should express my satisfaction (or lack thereof)./rant

Message 97 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

Don't think so....I don't think you understood what I was saying.....as a buyer, I will never leave the first feedback....and yes, it is voluntary...
Message 98 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

Why does the seller leave feedback? He's rating the buyer on his promptness of payment...the buyer leaves feedback for the item he received as described in the sale and also the delivery of that item. That's it. So let's say you sold me something that you mailed a month late, and the item was fake, and you failed to work it out with the buyer. The buyer leaves a deserving negative feedback to the seller....but then the seller turns around and gives the buyer a negative feedback in retaliation? Even when the buyer pays for the item on time? You don't see something wrong with that?

Message 99 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

@dennis334 wrote:

Why does the seller leave feedback? He's rating the buyer on his promptness of payment...the buyer leaves feedback for the item he received as described in the sale and also the delivery of that item. That's it. So let's say you sold me something that you mailed a month late, and the item was fake, and you failed to work it out with the buyer. The buyer leaves a deserving negative feedback to the seller....but then the seller turns around and gives the buyer a negative feedback in retaliation? Even when the buyer pays for the item on time? You don't see something wrong with that?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I apologize. I didn't think I said anywhere that retaliatory negative feedback by the seller is appropriate. I'm saying that a lack of feedback, in kind, might be appropriate. It (seller retaliatory FB) just doesn't seem feasible (again, not that you can) with eBay's procedures in place. In your example, in what way is the seller giving the buyer negative feedback? For what legitimate reason? If there is none, eBay would remove it. And are you keeping in mind the buyers that can do this with reckless abandon now? And as outrageous as leaving unwarranted negative feedback is, not being able to at all express YOUR negative experience as a seller is just as bad. I don't understand your example.

Are you thinking that I implied that, to not leave immediate feedback for the buyer, you are reserving the right the punish them later? Like they did their part by paying, so what are you waiting for? Receiving a SNAD or fake or wrong or broken item is a perfectly appropriate reason to request a refund/return and/or leave negative feedback. I'm talking about all of the other times. A buyer can be unreasonable (as can sellers) after receiving the item. I have had this issue a number of times for a number of reasons. The two ridiculous cases I've had opened against me were appropriately closed in my favor by eBay. And I don't want to reward such behavior. I don't want - after the fact - to have spoken positively of such a buyer on the sole basis that they have a PayPal account.

I DO actually want to give a good buyer feedback. The buyer deserves feedback, sure, but I feel it is a kind of mutual respect for this transaction kind of thing. The seller does so much to avoid negative feedback, while the buyer can get none. The buyer pays, then expects and receives feedback. You get them what they want, at the price they want, the way they want and they forget you exist.

Message 100 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

No extortion here.....as a buyer, I will never leave the first feedback. I did my part of the deal, I paid for the item. What else does the seller give a feedback for? Please tell me.......and yes, it's optional. If I was a seller, and someone bought something from me, and they paid for it, I'm leaving a feedback for his promptness of payment. I will send the item and wait for my feedback. If the buyer doesn't give me a feedback, that's fine. I will never ask for a feedback. I'm sick and tired of sellers holding their feedback until the buyer gives the seller one first. But again, I'm sure I'm gonna here....."feedback is optional".....ok, what about the sellers that won't sell to a buyer without a certain amount of feedbacks?? That feedback becomes important now.......

Message 101 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

I do agree with you, as a seller I always give feedback promptly. I appreciate the business.
Message 102 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

Your feedback profile contradicts your stance: you left 14 more than you received, at your level it's almost 10%.

For someone who won't leave feedback to sellers who didn't do them a totally voluntary favour it's a lot.

And don't start on "there are sellers who won't sell unless you have a minimum of x or y", that is totally unenforcable and even if it weren't with almost 200 you've been past that obstacle for a very long time

Message 103 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

If you look even closer, you'll realize I've bought from the same person several times and you can only get one feedback per person not each purchase.....

Message 104 of 115
latest reply

Feedback

That was beyond the scope of my reply.

I have more than 7.000 transactions I evaluated in the last 17 years, I am yet to hit the 5.000 mark.

Do I look like I'm complaining?

No, I buy items, not feedbacks

Message 105 of 115
latest reply