cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fee on tax?

Is it legal to charge a fee for charging tax?Is it legal to charge tax on coins? I had heard in the past that you can't tax money. Are coins not considered money but other items of some sort?

I am not going to like getting switched to managed payments. I need to check but I think my bank charges for over a certain number of transactions. I especially don't like holding my payments for 2 days, so ebay can grow interest on it. The change in fees looks real close to what it would be for paypal. Ans I really don't want payments going into my bank account and clutter it up. But who cares?

Will I have to use an invoice generated by ebay and use a postage method that ebay sets?

But what do they care what the people who use the site think? Did they ask anybody about whether they wanted to switch to it? It's not going to be convenient at all for me.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Fee on tax?

@gunnejame 

Yes it's legal to charge a fee on the sales tax collected, just like other sites do.

If you choose weekly payouts, you'll only have 4 or 5 deposits a month.

They don't hold the funds for 2 days and they don't get any interest, since there is nothing to earn interest on.

The fee's are about the same for most sellers.

Since it's their site, why should they ask us if we want to switch? it's their business and they can run it anyway they want to.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

eBay went with this other company when PayPal told them they do not want to be used by eBay sellers anymore.  At some point, the account will change or vanish.

I'm sure eBay has lots of tax people researching everything they do to make sure it is legal.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

EBAY charges fee on sales tax because they do all the work (otherwise you would be required to file taxes for all 50 states).    Don't know if currency is taxable but I am sure the EBAY lawyers know the rules.

With MANAGED PAYMENTS it takes 5-7 days AFTER purchase for money to be deposited into your CHECKING ACCOUNT.     EBAY deducts fees & shipping (balance is deposited into your checking account).

When filling out MANAGED PAYMENTS application be sure that name on CHECKING ACCOUNT, SS# and EBAY profile page is EXACT MATCH otherwise you application may be rejected.    Where it asks for bank account# (you put ROUTING# only).

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Ebay really does not have to ask you what they do within their company as far as who they choose to manage payments. I would also guess there are a bunch of people who work for Ebay that knows more about tax laws than you do. As far as the postage method you have many options to choose from.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Is it legal to charge a fee for charging tax?

If it is not legal, that would be because it violated a law. What law is being violated? 

Is it legal to charge tax on coins?

If it is not legal, that would be because it violated a law. What law is being violated? 

I had heard in the past that you can't tax money.

I think my bank charges for over a certain number of transactions

Then I would suggest getting a new bank account. I think Capital One has a no deposit, no fees, no minimum checking account you can sign up for online. 

I especially don't like holding my payments for 2 days, so ebay can grow interest on it.

ebay cannot grow interest on it, because they do not have the money while the payment is being settled. 

Will I have to use an invoice generated by ebay and use a postage method that ebay sets?

No and no. 

Did they ask anybody about whether they wanted to switch to it

History has clearly demonstrated to eBay that sellers will complain, but most will stay. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

So, surprise, surprise! In the middle of listing a couple of items this morning, I was interrupted my a screen wanting to set me up with the new seller hub, since I am now on managed payments, surprise! I managed to turn down the offer, for the reason that I had no idea if it was going to cost me extra.

So now anything I see l I won't get paid for, until I set up a bank account with ebay. Even though they already have at least one of my credit cards on file.

I am not a serious ebay seller, I don't make my living off of it, so I will definitely want to set up a separate bank account, just to mirror what paypal does. I don't want this to interfere with my personal checking or savings account.

Since almost everything I sell is collectible stamps, I will concentrate more on other places I can do this. I can't believe ebay is muscling in on everybody like this. Or come to think of it, yes I can believe it.

And yes this is their company and they can do what they want, even if it is to run people off.  If there is a law preventing them from doing something they want to do, then yes they have the high-powered legal staff that can facilitate that too, no doubt. Land of the free and home of the brave and all that.

For the same reasons I will look for other venues to sell my stamps, I will look for other venues to take my buying business. I buy a lot more here than I sell, and maybe I can change that too. I prefer to work with organizations that are people-friendly, and believe it or not there are still some of those.

Personally I have an aversion to having something rammed down my throat.

Have a nice day.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

eBay had no obligation to ask anyone whether they wanted to switch to Managed Payments.

They started announcing it in advance at least two years ago, so it's not easy to understand why some sellers were taken by surprise.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@gunnejame 

Can you not just open another bank account specifically for ebay? That is, in fact, the recommended route to go with MP from what I've seen.

And wow your bank charges for X transactions? I would be looking for a new bank at that point...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The bank's rules are as complicated as the ones here. I have known about managed payments for some time but I didn't know about no longer being able to use paypal, and that thought that managed payments were for power sellers or sellers who had a large amount of sales - that it was designed to help the seller manage things on his end. Duh  

I didn't read all the details and information, because if for no other reason at some point it starts getting too convoluted. Like software disclaimers. 20 pages of something I don't understand, and my only choice is if I don't agree, don't use it, and using it means I agree.

For someone like myself, having paypal works just fine. Having another bank account in addition to the ones I already have, in order to do what paypal does, does not simplify things for me. Using an existing account and keeping things separate would be a lot of trouble.

There are already enough hoops, rules, restrictions, penalties, different fee structures and the like, and frankly I don't have time to work out yet another set. I know what I'm talking about here because today I was switched to managed payments, along with the offer to start using the seller hub. I declined this but still get it every time I go from the By Ebay menu at the top to selling . Yes, I click the "Don't show again" box.

When I start a new listing, I have to un-choose Auction and re-chose Buy It now, I also now again have to uncheck  accept offers, and I have to set up my postage rate (even though I still have business practices). These are all things I lost as a consequence of gaining managed payments.

For someone like myself, having paypal works just fine. Having another bank account in addition to the ones I already have, in order to do what paypal does, does not simplify things for me. Neither does using an existing account and trying to keep things separate.

So I can guess your next response to me would be that I shouldn't be using ebay in the first place. Don't quit my day job. Find a simpler pasttime.

Well, as soon as I sell everything I currently have to sell, I will, and from then on just sell the occasional pair of shoes and other second-hand, garage-sale items.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Oh yes, where do I go to find the name and address for the buyer? I could get it from paypal kind of easily, the only way I know to get it from ebay is to click "print shipping label" and get it from there - making sure I don't accidentally click the print button. With priority mail as the default choice.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I don't know if it is legal but I sure wish there would be a class action on this one.  ALSO, your going to have people lie and say the fees are less than PP, is is FAR higher.  Paypal charged close to 3% on the taxes, Ebay charges close to a WHOPPING 13%.  So the fees are not close.  There higher.

Also, you will have people saying there is no fee for Florida etc on Ebay, well there wasn't one with PP either.  

So they got a raise here with that one, on top of the raise they just gave there self.  So lets say you have $26 dollars in tax.  I am going to round off to exact percent.  Paypals 3% fee on that would be 78 cents, Ebays 13% fee is $3.38

They are forcing everyone to do it or you cannot sell here.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yes you will have to use managed payments.  Money goes in bank account you set up daily or weekly. I dont like the managed payments either especially when I got my funds instantly on paypal and 3 or more days in bank account. Fees are about 1% cheaper than with paypal. I know this question has been awhile ago.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply