cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUDULENT & DISHONEST BUYER, SELLERS BEWARE!

Sold a 2019 Transmission to this buyer *** and he used the address of the freight terminal as his shipping address obviously to hide his real address. We shipped out transmission, buyer picked up from the freight terminal and requested a return the same day transmission was picked up. We provided return label, only for us to receive the transmission 2 weeks plus later with the torque converter swapped with a completely different torque converter that does not belong to the transmission, and also after further look, we noticed the tamper detection paints we used on the bolts were stripped meaning the transmission has been opened and some of the oil pan bolts were missing. Behold when we opened the oil pan, all the internal parts including valve body were stolen by the buyer. We received pretty much an empty casing which is worthless. Buyer already stole the parts he needed to fix his own transmission and returned the remaining junk to us. We reported to eBay, objected to refunding the buyer. eBay disappointedly as usual claims there is no way for them to verify that the buyer stole the parts, even with the pictures(which means eBay's is saying that we stole our own parts, since they didn't believe that the buyer did). They decided against us and issued the buyer a full refund and billed us for both the eBay fees and of course we uncured the shipping and returned fees of almost $1k. Not asking for sympathy, just alerting other sellers, because eBay has also decided to keep this buyer on their platform. Just protect yourselves guys. 

IMG_20230729_110211.jpg

IMG_20230729_110338.jpg

IMG_20230729_110340.jpg

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: FRAUDULENT & DISHONEST BUYER, SELLERS BEWARE!

Thanks for the information, I will look into that option as well.🙏

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Yes I can definitely get the weights before and after return, that's not a problem. But who do I send it to? 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@iwcautoparts wrote:

We explained everything including the delivery receipt that shows picked up at the dock. I just think they don't want to admit they administered the wrong judgement. 

They did not issue a right or wrong judgement in their eyes. They issued the usual judgement.

Posting ID
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@iwcautoparts wrote:

Yes I can definitely get the weights before and after return, that's not a problem. But who do I send it to? 

The quickest way to get this resolved is for eBay Customer Support to resolve it.  But if that does not work you can do a Notice of Dispute and with this someone should take a better look at the situation.  It it can not be resolved with the Notice of Dispute you still have the Arbitration or Court options.

With the weight of the transmission be prepared to demonstrate there is a weight difference.  When you ship something freight do you get an exact weight?

Take a look at these two links and see if they are helpful to you.

Notice_of_Dispute.pdf

Legal Disputes

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/user-agreement?id=4259&st=12&pos=1&query...

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

The part I don't understand...

What baffles me...

If a thief is going to go to these lengths to take advantage of a seller...

Why not just swap the transmissions and send back the old one.
Why go through the trouble of opening both up and removing parts from the good one to swap out with the broken one, when one can simply swap the entire transmission and be done?

Since the old / broken one has to come out of the vehicle anyway, just bolt up the good one...

Worse still, in all reality, the whole rigmarole of sending anything back at all...

Why go through all this trouble?

Why not just send back an empty box?

The end result is the same.

That's the part that befuddles me.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

If the item wasn't reshipped it doesn't matter if the item was shipped to a freight forwarder.

The buyer has to admit it was reshipped to void their perfection. No address simply voids the buyer protections.

That is not how I interpret the following from their policy. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1690689088061.png

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

If the item wasn't reshipped it doesn't matter if the item was shipped to a freight forwarder.

The buyer has to admit it was reshipped to void their perfection. No address simply voids the buyer protections.

I wonder if it is possible to get the chain of custody information from the freight forwarder?

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

R+L Carriers is not a third party which collected the transmission: The seller had it delivered to that R+L address, which no eBay policy states must be the buyer's registered address.

And they are not a freight forwarder, but rather a freight terminal. That third party collection policy does not apply to this delivery, and eBay on Facebook would discount its mention immediately.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

If we go based on your understand of the policy then having a shipment sent to the UPS store would void a buyers MBG.

It has been mentioned numerous on these forums that sending to a FF does not void the eBay MBG unless the item has been reshipped.

Please refer to eBay responses on the matter

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/A-refunded-300-laptop-was-delivered-buyer-ignores-my-messages/...

@sdneped  provided information of a screen grab from an eBay employee here

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/A-refunded-300-laptop-was-delivered-buyer-ignores-my-messages/...

The mere fact that the address is to a FF doesn't void a buyers protections. The item has to be collected by a third party and reshipped. There are many legitimate reasons that the location is used such as where the buyer is picking up the item. Employees could be sending their purchases to their work address. Should employees simply lose their MBG because the company they work for is a FF?

Your argument makes no sense, sorry.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

If we go based on your understand of the policy then having a shipment sent to the UPS store would void a buyers MBG.

It has been mentioned numerous on these forums that sending to a FF does not void the eBay MBG unless the item has been reshipped.

Please refer to eBay responses on the matter

@sasa790592  provided information of a screen grab from an eBay employee here

The mere fact that the address is to a FF doesn't void a buyers protections. The item has to be collected by a third party and reshipped. There are many legitimate reasons that the location is used such as where the buyer is picking up the item. Employees could be sending their purchases to their work address. Should employees simply lose their MBG because the company they work for is a FF?

Your argument makes no sense, sorry.

So what this basically boils down to is another case where the seller is left on their own to protect themselves from scammers. I will add this to my list of orders that I cancel for problems with the buyers address. 

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I'm not defending the policy, just stating that escalating to eBay the address and show it's a FF service doesn't void the buyer protections.

I've learned to try and be extremely helpful me showing that I want to take care of their issue. Then throw something in there like, 'I've been talking to the USPS as they have an open investigation into the package. They informed me that they delivered it to a FF, in order to finalize can you let me know where they reshipped so USPS can finalize their investigation.

Usually they provide that info and then I can go to eBay on Facebook have them verify the message that they acknowledged the item was reshipped and then get the case closed in my favor.

Only reason I know this as I made the assumption that I'd win just because of FF and lost. They told me I need to proof of reshipment (buyer admittance typically).

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

if, when a carpenter bends a nail while building a house then does he from then on not trust all nails and quits building houses because of one bad encounter?

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

The problem here that it's not the fault of the nail and whether you should trust the nail, whoever bends the nail is not a carpenter because carpenters know how to hit the nail on the head.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Why go through all this trouble?

Why not just send back an empty box?

The end result is the same.

That's the part that befuddles me.

You are making the mistake of believing crooks are smart.

They are not.

All that work for no extra benefit.

Stupid.

You figured out the smart way to pull the switch. He didn't.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

So basically just be happy to lose $500 because you could have lost $1,000 that you should have never lost to start with. This is the problem. There is no common sense.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply