cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced Seller's Opinion On Good Till Cancelled BIN's

I've been in retail 35 years. I have been interviewed about retailing numerous times by local television & radio throughout the years and I was the yearly keynote speaker for the Fashion Merchandising classes at one of our local colleges. I was chosen because of my success in the area.

The number one question I always got & still do till this day is, "what do you do with merchandise that doesn't sell?" Any experienced seller knows the answer but this leads me to my point on why Good Till Cancelled is a horrible idea. 

Ebay puts listings that didn't sell into my "Unsold Listings" section. Having an "unsold listing" section on my seller dashboard forces my eyeballs on each listing that didn't sell in 30 days. This is a GOOD Thing!

It makes me scrutinize the listing and ask myself,  "Are there enough keywords in the title? Is there an error in the title or details section? Do the photos need to be re-done? Is the price too high? Should I make it an auction............." Whatever the case, I change that listing in some way to give it a better chance for a sale. This formula works! I did it in my brick & mortar store & I do it here on Ebay.

Now, Ebay decides to take a listing that didn't sell in 30 days & re-list it for me without giving me the option to make changes to improve the chances of a sale. It's as if those that make our rules have never retailed a day in their life. 

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Experienced Seller's Opinion On Good Till Cancelled BIN's

I have a question about this subject and not sure where to post it. 

I understand that they no longer will list for 30 days.

At the end of the 30 days it will Continue Till Canceled. Do they keep charging for the item after the normal 30 days, like a .30 for each one that continues or .....???? So if you use the allotted amount each month and they keep renewing that would start to add up wouldn't it?

Thanks,

KJ

Message 76 of 81
latest reply

@special-hugs wrote:

I have a question about this subject and not sure where to post it. 

I understand that they no longer will list for 30 days.

At the end of the 30 days it will Continue Till Canceled. Do they keep charging for the item after the normal 30 days, like a .30 for each one that continues or .....???? So if you use the allotted amount each month and they keep renewing that would start to add up wouldn't it?

Thanks,

KJ

Of course they still charge you,. Ebay quit relying on revenue from sales years ago. Its a new way to increase revenue from your items doing what items on Ebay usually do, not sell.

Pretty cool Huh?

Message 77 of 81
latest reply

As far as hoping eBay will walk back this change, this question came  up at Chat today.  One of the Blues stated in today's Chat that eBay has no plans to rescind this change.

You can read the Chat for today if you care to confirm this; there are other GTC related questions there as well.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Community-Chat-March-27-1-00-pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/29652254...

Message 78 of 81
latest reply

Of coarse they won't. There is too much money to be made on listing fees. 

I still have no plan on how I am going to make this work. 

Cancelling listing 2 minutes before they are going to automatically relist is not an option. 

My options are

stagger my listings like I normally do but only have 25 items listed at a time. 

Only list 4 days in the middle of the month

go back to auctions and have buyers not pay. 

Message 79 of 81
latest reply

I totally agree with you.  I called Ebay right after I found out about this new system and complained to them and said exactly what you have said here.  It just is an awful system and totally unfair to Sellers.  I have been an Ebay Seller from the inception and this is totally terrible.  I, too, do well when I relist for 3 or 5 days with a Buy now.  I do not like that my listings have to stay on for 30 days.  It ties up everything and I feel that I have no control over my own things I am selling.  I just hope that if enough people complain to Ebay, they might change things.  However, right now, it is just horrible and I am so disgusted. 

How many of you out there feel this way as well?  I think perhaps if other Ebay Sellers call Ebay and express their feelings, or even write letters, they might consider going back to the old wonderful system.  This new system is ridiculous and totally unfair to the Seller.

Message 80 of 81
latest reply

I made the call, the customer service representative said they are documenting the feedback.

Please call and discus this with them if it is affecting you.

Message 81 of 81
latest reply