cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensive item purchased by new buyer with zero feedback.

I have a buyer that just joined, has zero feedback, the item was $1600.00.  I'm nervous to ship....How can I make sure he is legit?  On shipping page it show's "eligible for seller protection".  I read through the topic and don't see any thing that explains this situation.  Paypal also showing, "Seller Protection".

am I safe??

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Expensive item purchased by new buyer with zero feedback.

@emerald40 wrote:

I sell expensive fine jewelry.

Someone in an International country buys it using a reshipper.

He keeps the diamond ring and sends me back a gumball machine plastic ring.

For the price of $100 to send it back to the States, he now has a $5,000 diamond ring.

No thank you.  Not until Paypal catches up to ebay and no returns once it leaves the reshipper.

But ... don't USA scammers use the same switch-out technique?

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@skatefool wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

For the price of $100 to send it back to the States, he now has a $5,000 diamond ring.

No thank you.  Not until Paypal catches up to ebay and no returns once it leaves the reshipper.

But ... don't USA scammers use the same switch-out technique?

Dealing with people in the US is bad enough but at least I would have some recourse like filing with the police or even taking them to small claims court.

But something going Internationally - especially to the  countries well known for their Internet scams.  Would you do it willingly?  So why should you be forced to because they use a reshipper?

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

"But ... don't USA scammers use the same switch-out technique?"

That practice knows no international boundries.

You just as likely to get hosed here 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Expensive items are a bit different, I wouldn't be comfortable selling most higher end items on eBay, domestic OR international.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Zero feedback doesn't mean scammer by default, it could, but it could be legitimate. I had 0 feedback when I signed up to buy something on ebay under another account.  There is really no way to tell unless they start asking for your paypal address to arrange payment. If they paid, and your paypal account says OK to ship, then what can you do?

No offense, but I would never sell an expensive item on ebay. I get nervous for a hundred dollar sale!  I know that selling local may not work for some due to location or demand, but the risks on ebay outweigh the rewards for me. Maybe I read these boards too much, but all I see are problems for sellers with high priced items. Perhaps the reality is much different and ebay is safe for the majority, but you wouldn't know it from reading the discussion boards!

But the bottom line is that if you do get a experienced scammer that knows the simple ways and tricks to manipulate ebay's policies, well, it just takes one, and ebay and paypal, according to repeated reports here, will throw you under the bus in favor of the buyer.

I hope it all works well for you and everything goes smooth.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I happened to acquire a very expensive paint ball gun in 2016. I listed it as a BIN and overpriced it a bit. A brand new buyer with 0 feedback who joined the previous day purchased it. He paid. I shipped. Never heard another word and that was maybe 18 months ago. Item was well photographed and well packaged.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Ebay seller protection is a joke. They are out for the buyer. Beware

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@sell2fishmore wrote:

I have a buyer that just joined, has zero feedback, the item was $1600.00.  I'm nervous to ship....How can I make sure he is legit?  On shipping page it show's "eligible for seller protection".  I read through the topic and don't see any thing that explains this situation.  Paypal also showing, "Seller Protection".

am I safe??

You are never safe from fraud when you are selling on eBay, unless you sell with "local pickup" as the only option and get paid in cash. Ther is no way to tell whether a buyer is legit unless you ca

By using a fraudulent SNAD, any eBay buyer can steal any item from any eBay seller at any time. This is true whether it is a brand new user or one with 1,000 feedback.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Have you noticed how many people are taken aback at your "don't ship to a PO box" advice?

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Send it insured. With tracking. Signature Required.
Message 25 of 26
latest reply

How does insurance protect you against a scammer?

Message 26 of 26
latest reply