cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exact date restocked fee not allowed not on Spring update

I read the Spring update and see restocking fees will no longer be allowed.

I can't find an exact date for that to start. Does anyone know when sellers 

will no longer be allowed to charge a restocking fee.

Thank you

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Exact date restocked fee not allowed not on Spring update

Starting in May 2018, we will streamline our returns policy options. Buyers' expectations are continuously evolving and we strive to deliver a returns experience that is consistent and competitive with the changing marketplace. Our simplified return policy options will help drive a retail-standard returns experience for buyers and may boost your sales. We recommend that you begin changing your returns policies now.

The five return policy options will be:

• No returns accepted
  • 30-day buyer-paid returns
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day buyer-paid returns
  • 60-day free returns

Restocking fees will no longer be a return option.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I believe it was that new listings cannot have it, but current listings can still have it through any relist this month. So that when you try to relist it cannot have a restocking fee.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

Thank you

Hi @honeysuckle-lane, I wanted to clarify that the option to charge a restocking fee ended on April 30th. Any purchase made on this date or before would still have the option to apply a restocking fee that was in the listing at that time, but any purchases from May 1st on would not have this option. 

Check out our Seller Update page on Simplified Returns for more details on return policies and the benefits of offering Free Returns. While a restocking fee is no longer an option, those who offer Free Returns are able to deduct up to 50% of the refund amount if the item is returned in a different or damaged condition.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

Thank you

Hi @honeysuckle-lane, I wanted to clarify that the option to charge a restocking fee ended on April 30th. Any purchase made on this date or before would still have the option to apply a restocking fee that was in the listing at that time, but any purchases from May 1st on would not have this option. 

Check out our Seller Update page on Simplified Returns for more details on return policies and the benefits of offering Free Returns. While a restocking fee is no longer an option, those who offer Free Returns are able to deduct up to 50% of the refund amount if the item is returned in a different or damaged condition.

So the notice said starting in May, but it was implemented April 30? How come eBay is always starting new policies before the announced dates?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

Thank you

That just makes me feel sooooooooo good that if I gave free returns, I can give back only half of the money if it comes back trashed, wrong item, or an empty box.

Like that's an incentive for giving free returns on antique/vintage items ........ not!

I will drive there and take it back if need be.

trinton@ebay

@rose_city wrote:

Thank you

Hi @rose_city, I wanted to clarify that the option to charge a restocking fee ended on April 30th. Any purchase made on this date or before would still have the option to apply a restocking fee that was in the listing at that time, but any purchases from May 1st on would not have this option. 

Check out our Seller Update page on Simplified Returns for more details on return policies and the benefits of offering Free Returns. While a restocking fee is no longer an option, those who offer Free Returns are able to deduct up to 50% of the refund amount if the item is returned in a different or damaged condition.

trinton@ebay

Thank you for your answer. I spoke with several seller friends that have stores and they tell me that they are still processing returns and charging their restocking fees. They all said that they have had returns after May 1 and had no issues collecting their stated restocking fee of 10 to 20%. Is this a glitch? Each one of those sellers have listed items within the last hour and are able to add text to their return policy

about restocking fees. Customer service phone reps. are telling sellers that those with stores may continue to charge restocking fees. Does having a store make as difference?  Thank you for your time.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous

trinton@ebay

Thank you for your answer. I spoke with several seller friends that have stores and they tell me that they are still processing returns and charging their restocking fees. They all said that they have had returns after May 1 and had no issues collecting their stated restocking fee of 10 to 20%. Is this a glitch? Each one of those sellers have listed items within the last hour and are able to add text to their return policy

about restocking fees. Customer service phone reps. are telling sellers that those with stores may continue to charge restocking fees. Does having a store make as difference?  Thank you for your time.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I'm interested in this answer, also.  I was charged a restocking fee of 20% on a relatively expensive item just a few days ago.  It was a Big Seller so maybe the rule doesn't apply to them ?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

It was stated by a blue, can’t remember which one, that restocking fees are no longer allowed as of May 1 so anything purchased prior to May 1 can have a restocking fee and anything purchased on or after 5/1 cannot.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I paid what the seller definitely called a restocking fee on an item purchased after May 1.  The actual number wasn't quite 20% but was more than the original shipping, which seller said was the reason for the partial refund - to cover the "free" shipping.  I know this because it didn't match the amount I paid for the return shipping like a good little honest buyer.

I was going to argue with the seller but though oh, nah, I'm weary.  But now realizing they (supposedly) can't charge a restocking fee, I may respond to their answer to my "explain the math of the partial refund to me" question.

Sounds like ebay didn't get those not-allowed-to-charge-that-anymore programming ducks in a row.  I'm shawked, I tell ya.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

Thank you

So the notice said starting in May, but it was implemented April 30? How come eBay is always starting new policies before the announced dates?

Georg~Trinton said the last day to charge a restocking fee was April 30th.  This totally corresponds to no restocking fee as of May 1  2018.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

Thank you

Georg~Trinton said the last day to charge a restocking fee was April 30th.  This totally corresponds to no restocking fee as of May 1  2018.

Hi @rose_city, I wanted to clarify that the option to charge a restocking fee ended on April 30th.

Am I seeing April 30 there or May 1?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I wanted to clarify that the option to charge a restocking fee ended on April 30th.

Am I seeing April 30 there or May 1?

April 30 was the last day of the old policy; May 1 was the first day of the new policy. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

The last day to charge it was April 30.  It ended May 1.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply