cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails failing / Rejected messages bouncing back

We have always replied to eBay messages from customers using our email client (Thunderbird). In recent months, we are having quite a few emails fail to send. It's not an issue with our server, as no changes have been made. It only happens when using the email client to respond to eBay customer messages. There are no other addresses/domains that we have this issue with.

eBay's system must be blocking some messages??? This happens even without any attachments or links/URLs of any sort being included with the message. No contact or other information that might be prohibited.  Most times, these are messages we're sending in response to customers who initiated contact. And in some cases, we've already replied to the customer through our email client successfully - but then our next reply will just fail.

How should we troubleshoot this? It's happening much more frequently lately and I don't think it's anything on our end.

The following errors are returned by the "Mail Delivery System":

"A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error."

"SMTP error from remote mail server after DATA:
550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected."

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Emails failing / Rejected messages bouncing back

@loothive 

I have no real solution for you but just wanted to mention that I operate in  the same way, messages are always replied to via Thunderbird as I never use My Messages directly.

I have not have had ANY messages rejected, at least none that initiated an actual error message (occasionally I do wonder if the messages were received because they resulted in either no reply when one was expected or the reply feels like the original message I sent was not received.

The only issue I can think of is a mismatch with your Reply To or Sent From address that could possibly result in eBay rejecting it.

The other possibility if you are sending a lot of messages is that you are seeing the results of the random block on messages that users of My Messages occasionally report "you have exceeded the number of messages" or something to that effect.

When you receive the rejection notice do you then retry directly through My Messages? Do those go through ok?

Message 2 of 2
latest reply