cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay simply encourage fraud. Their policies are absolutely geared for buyers to be fraudulent.

The support for sellers is criminal, ebay encourage misuse and allow buyer to commit fraud. it is so easy to do with their mindbogglingly dumb rules. For example,  If i have an ipad that does not work, i can buy one from ebay, complain, say i want a refund and then send the faulty item back and, amazingly, ebay do everything they can to support this. If i buy a cmaera, break it after a week, then want a return i can. It is actually geared toward hiring, but without insurance for the seller. In fact, if you dont want to buy it, you can just pay fr an item, use it as you need, send it back and get a refund. Free usage. 

Ebay is the worst, i am out as soon as i get a return from another customer who has done similar to what i have said above. I am not out a brand new camera that they have broken, ebay supports their claim, they have had their use and will get a full refund, and i will be stuck with a camera that they have damaged. And, ebay supports this....Incredibly dumb, or fraudulant, whatever spin, its criminal.....

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Ebay simply encourage fraud. Their policies are absolutely geared for buyers to be fraudulent.

fear in buyers

Seriously?  Why in the world would any marketplace scare away buyers?

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

Re: Ebay simply encourage fraud. Their policies are absolutely geared for buyers to be fraudulent.

Keep in mind that Paypal will give refunds up to SIX MONTHS! That's ridiculous. 

If the photos (assuming an item is non-mechanical) in the auction show everything is fine, but the buyer provides a photo showing item is broken on arrival (no damage to the box), who's to say the buyer didn't drop the item when taking it out of the packaging or as mentioned earlier isn't substituting their own broken item?  Ebay does nothing to help the seller in these situations which is unfair.

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

How is Ebay supposed to know which party is the fraudulent one?  They don't know, that's why they should stay out of it. 

As you noted, eBay was perfectly happy to stay out of it at first.  And every argument sellers now make about  eBay unfairness was made by buyers back in those days.  eBay eventually realized that the site was not going to continue to grow and prosper once it became known as a den of thieves. 

And no third party knows whether buyer or seller is fraudulent; not ebay, not paypal, not the card issuer, not even a court.  Yet someone has to decide if the buyer and seller fail to agree.  In the 21st Century, if there is no actual proof of performance, the benefit of the doubt is given to the buyer by all of these entities.

If buyers had no protection they would go back to buying locally

I'm not seeing that as a good business strategy for eBay.

The credit card companies spent decades finding the right balance in dealing with chargebacks

Which they modify regularly and are inarguably consumer friendly.  And before we start thinking of cc companies as being pure as the driven snow, recall that two of them had arranged with paypal to deny ALL consumer protections by treating paypal payments as cash advances.

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

And 99% of the time the fraud des come from the buyers because they have nothing to lose.

I'm sure the statistic is nowhere near that - especially if measured in dollars.  However, buyer fraud on a small scale is certainly easier than seller fraud - as it should be.

And if crooked buyers have "nothing to lose", it's probably because they know defaruded sellers will turn their wrath toward eBay instead of filing mail fraud complaints against the actual crooks.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

Between the fraud, scams and counterfeits, ebay is one of the largest criminal organizations in the world.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The credit card company will simply reject such a claim based on the fact eBay found in favor of the buyer and PayPal concurred.

Huh?

If only that were true right? I can't believe someone actually believes that!!!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 21 of 45
latest reply

@sandmansales wrote:

Between the fraud, scams and counterfeits, ebay is one of the largest criminal organizations in the world.

Close, but not quite. I think that the US Congress still occupies the number one spot, lol.

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

fear in buyers

Seriously?  Why in the world would any marketplace scare away buyers?

I don't think eBay should be scaring buyers but I do think they should setup a return processing center in which they charge buyers a fee to process the returns, in which eBay inspects the product themselves before forwarding them back to the sellers. And in cases in which someone sends back a completely different product or missing items, the return should then be denied and the buyer should have to pay the return fee for causing problems.

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

If you're a seller, you have to know how to protect yourself. Even then, you're going to lose some.

You can report fraudulent returns. But you better be sure you can prove that you're in the right.

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

I do not understand why people with 100% feedback expect eBay to side with them on that merit alone. Your account history MIGHT work in your favor, but that's only if the other party's history works against them.

People really need to get over feedback they receive, as it's the feedback left for others that has more significance to other members. As far as eBay is concerned, it means nothing. It's subjective, and is merely a tool for members to evaluate other members.
Message 25 of 45
latest reply

The cost to do that would be passed onto the seller, no doubt.
I would like to be able to charge an extra fee to people who don't pay on time
Message 26 of 45
latest reply

The best way to recoop some moeny is for sellers to always offer returns and charge a restocking fee. That way, if a buyer is fraudulentkly using the MBG, they can be reported and the seller can give them less than 100% refund. 

You really have to know how protections work befoe selling (especially with expensive items).

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

slati_2013 said:
"I keep saying this and I hope one day it happens; eBay needs to put the same fear in buyers as it does in sellers. Ebay need to track all claims, returns and refunds for patterns by buyers that point to criminal behavior."

What makes you think they don't? Sellers HAVE to report misuse of returns and misuse of MBG when this happens, otherwise, how will eBay know a bad buyer from a good one? Many buyers have been suspended for repeated patterns of "dissastisfaction".
Message 28 of 45
latest reply

I'm not a store. I didn't know we could charge a re-stocking fee. Is Ebay OK with that?

@plumbingspecials wrote:

The best way to recoop some moeny is for sellers to always offer returns and charge a restocking fee. That way, if a buyer is fraudulentkly using the MBG, they can be reported and the seller can give them less than 100% refund. 

You really have to know how protections work befoe selling (especially with expensive items).

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
What makes you think they don't? Sellers HAVE to report misuse of returns and misuse of MBG when this happens, otherwise, how will eBay know a bad buyer from a good one? Many buyers have been suspended for repeated patterns of "dissastisfaction".

How do you know buyers have been suspended?

Message 30 of 45
latest reply