cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay simply encourage fraud. Their policies are absolutely geared for buyers to be fraudulent.

The support for sellers is criminal, ebay encourage misuse and allow buyer to commit fraud. it is so easy to do with their mindbogglingly dumb rules. For example,  If i have an ipad that does not work, i can buy one from ebay, complain, say i want a refund and then send the faulty item back and, amazingly, ebay do everything they can to support this. If i buy a cmaera, break it after a week, then want a return i can. It is actually geared toward hiring, but without insurance for the seller. In fact, if you dont want to buy it, you can just pay fr an item, use it as you need, send it back and get a refund. Free usage. 

Ebay is the worst, i am out as soon as i get a return from another customer who has done similar to what i have said above. I am not out a brand new camera that they have broken, ebay supports their claim, they have had their use and will get a full refund, and i will be stuck with a camera that they have damaged. And, ebay supports this....Incredibly dumb, or fraudulant, whatever spin, its criminal.....

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Ebay simply encourage fraud. Their policies are absolutely geared for buyers to be fraudulent.

How is Ebay supposed to know which party is the fraudulent one? If a buyer bought something that arrived DOA they could just file a chargeback with their credit card anyway. These are the consumer protections in this internet age.

If buyers had no protection they would go back to buying locally where they could test things for themselves and not rely on the word of someone who could be a scammer OR has their own best interests. 

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Oh, here's another opinion.

"If a buyer bought something that arrived DOA they could just file a charge back with their credit card anyway."

"....file a charge back with their credit card anyway." Well maybe if the credit card is the common link to their PayPal account.  This isn't going to result in an automatic charge back refund if a refund at all.  The credit card company isn't a party to your agreement with PayPal and therefore have no obligation to comply with request.

The credit card company will simply reject such a claim based on the fact eBay found in favor of the buyer and PayPal concurred.

The upshot is the buyer has his or her refund is now to be heard form again, except to leave neg feed back for the seller.

Additionally credit card refunds can take 30 to 90 days if, if  they decide the card holder was not at fault.  Again, eBay says they are.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

ebay is on statistics like white on rice...it's the sine qua non of their operation.
Ironically, they find in favor of the buyer in 95%+ of potential fraud cases.
Odd, to say the least...until you factor in that a buyer pays ZERO fees to ebay.
Follow the money...
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

The credit card company will simply reject such a claim based on the fact eBay found in favor of the buyer and PayPal concurred.

Huh?

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

I don't know about encouraging it, but they make it easy for somebody to do it. It's almost like a keyboard warrior they can attack you an accuse you all day an you almost just have to sit there an take it, but in this they get a lot more then making you look, or feel bad they make you waste your money, and possibly break your items you have sold to them.

Yeah it is hard to tell who is the fraud, but when they side with the buyer over something that is made painfully obvious that it's not the seller then it sure seems that way.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Modern Description Of Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil!

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

It's very easy to scam sellers on eBay. One of my incidents was someone buying an electronic and claiming it was broken. They sent me their broken one back, different serial number and all, but ebay still sided with him. Fifteen years on eBay 100% fb did not help against the two month newbie the buyer was.    

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@fvm8 wrote:

I don't know about encouraging it, but they make it easy for somebody to do it. It's almost like a keyboard warrior they can attack you an accuse you all day an you almost just have to sit there an take it, but in this they get a lot more then making you look, or feel bad they make you waste your money, and possibly break your items you have sold to them.

Yeah it is hard to tell who is the fraud, but when they side with the buyer over something that is made painfully obvious that it's not the seller then it sure seems that way.

It's very easy to scam sellers on eBay. One of my incidents was someone buying an electronic and claiming it was broken. They sent me their broken one back, different serial number and all, but ebay still sided with him. Fifteen years on eBay 100% fb did not help against the two month newbie the buyer was.    

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Oh yeah that is what I have basically just experienced, I have not recieved the item back yet, but not holding very high hopes for it being in to great condition, or working when I get it back.

Yeah the buyer could send a completely different item back for all I know, or he could have just broken it himself. Either way what ever is coming back to me I don't hold very high hopes for it.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

Huh?

I couldn't follow it either.

How is Ebay supposed to know which party is the fraudulent one?  They don't know, that's why they should stay out of it.  If a buyer bought something that arrived DOA they could just file a chargeback with their credit card anyway. These are the consumer protections in this internet age.

If buyers had no protection they would go back to buying locally where they could test things for themselves and not rely on the word of someone who could be a scammer OR has their own best interests. 

eBay became the biggest selling site on the whole www without a bit of this protection.  Most stuff was paid with checks or M.O. or PayPal balance.  A lot of relying on the seller's word, yet it worked well enough that eBay grew rapidly while everyone else lost money year after year.   

Smart buyers would stick to sellers who took PayPal, and then fund that with the credit card if they felt the need for "protection".  That is the exact same protection buyers get everywhere else on the www today when they use a credit card.  The claim that there has to be more protection or buyers will go back to B&M retail is obviously incorrect because eCommerce continues to grow rapidly everywhere.  Except here, where it grows slowly.

The credit card companies spent decades finding the right balance in dealing with chargebacks - one that is not unusually biased in either direction, and where fraud is actually monitored and eliminated.  The eBay/PayPal protections are none of that.  What they are is a good way to keep the chargeback rate low so their processing fees stay low while insulating themselves from the cost of the fraud they refuse to curb. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

"How is Ebay supposed to know which party is the fraudulent one?"

Let's try and be honest here for a change. You must know as well as i do that eBay doesn't care who is committing fraud as long as eBay isn't losing any money from the transaction. And 99% of the time the fraud des come from the buyers because they have nothing to lose. A good selling account can sometimes take several years to build, and most sellers would not throw all their hard work away to scam people because if they got caught, all their hard work goes right down the drain, and they could also be facing legal issues.

So the bottom line is, buyers represent the bulk of the scamming on eBay, simply because they have nothing to lose. Make sense?

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

What bothers me the most about this nonsense is that eBay encourages returns by forcing the seller not only to accept them - but pay for them too. Either that or issue a full refund and allow the buyer to commit theft by keeping the items too.  Even if one gets used cat litter in the return box. Go figure.

free ebay.jpg

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

See this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/25/ebay-seller-beware-buyer-guarantee-exploited-scammers

It is confirmation of Ebays criminal, immoral actions. I wont be paying them a thing until i have been refunded.

I am happy to go to court, i have all the proof from them that they have been negligent beyond beleif....

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

I keep saying this and I hope one day it happens; eBay needs to put the same fear in buyers as it does in sellers. Ebay need to track all claims, returns and refunds for patterns by buyers that point to criminal behavior.

Maybe when buyers start getting emails that read " Dear eBay member, you will no longer be able to shop on eBay because we believe your activities on the site jeopardizes the integrity of our marketplace", you will see fewer buyers filing frivolous claims,.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply