cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay should not being charging fees including postage !!

I just was made aware that ebay's fees include the postage. If that isn't robbery what is.  Postage is paid to the us government and Ebay should not be making money off the postage amount.

Buyers need to start speaking up  until they start to be fair.

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: Ebay should not being charging fees including postage !!

honestly, you kinda need to learn /read up on why it is this way....and compare and learn how all charge fees....shipping + price= Total...that is is...long ago there was sellers that made Ebay HAVE to look into the FVF on items, BUT really go back read up on where ebay was and is.....learn and then you will still feel FEES are unfair, but maybe you'll under stand that it is their busines,,,we pay to use it....like a store pays rent/ or you pay fees to auction places, etc....

and your statement that you just learned about this "issue"...wow that just shows you didn't really know what the fees would be and how it works....there are probably a lot more things you'll find out about....site map on bottom of page...can get you to lots of topics....Fees, Shipping, etc... not to mention the Seller annoubcements and updates that come out,,,spring, fall, etc.....

Message 31 of 101
latest reply

I havent really sold much when i first started until recently when I lost my job. So yes I was unaware of these unfair practices that they charge the buyer for postage too.  I don't appreciate having to pay for returns with their new guarantee satisfaction.  This just allows for anyone to abuse the system at the buyers expense. They are in effect biting the hand that feeds them. Without buyers they have nothing to sell so they cant make a dime without merchandise. 

Message 32 of 101
latest reply

@evodoor wrote:

I'm not sure how you would not have known about this, but most online venues do this, even Etsy started it this spring. The fees you pay to eBay covers a lot of ground, and offers you a global market with safe guards you will not get on Facebook. I sell on several venues, including Facebook. My sales are highest on eBay, and frankly, I get really sick of people constantly whining about fees.

I believe in doing the right thing, how dare you !  I lost my job and things are not selling on ebay so if i only sell one thing which is just about what is happening now when i have over 62 items for sale and so yes the fees hurt when your not making any money on sales. I am on a limited income no one wants to hire a 63 year old.  Yes it affects me !

Message 33 of 101
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

First off, the fees are the fees. If they didn’t include the shipping portion the percentage would be higher. You are not paying higher fees because eBay changed the way they calculated them to make them more fair.

Second, I don’t know why it would be illegal to charge fees on shipping? What law would that be breaking? eBay can base fees on anything they want. They could charge you according to the phases of the moon and your eye color because you agreed to abide by their terms.

this way the sellers of the exact same ball for the exact same total pays the exact same fees regardless of how they split out their shipping. Exactly as it should be.

This is wrong, I purchase my postage through them and print off my shipping labels so in no way in this circumstance am i getting away with inflating the shipping price. In these situations they should not be charging fees that include the postage.  If you want to throw your money away then fine but I dont like being used !!!

Message 34 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

I don't appreciate having to pay for returns with their new guarantee satisfaction. 

The Money Back Guarantee also isn't new. It's been the policy for YEARS. The fact that it's new to you is just another sign that you haven't educated yourself about eBay's policies for sellers.

Message 35 of 101
latest reply

Dear your in the dark you are invoiced and pay ebay a percentage on what you make but they include the postage also in that percentage.  While the seller may pay for the postage you still end up paying them a percentage on the postage which is not part of your income. It seems wrong to be charged fees on money that is not coming to you but to the US Government.

Message 36 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

I dont care that you dont care.  It's about fairness lady !!!!! It is absolutely wrong because they are making money off you that is not being paid to you. Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most accurate indicators I've ever found is the inverse relationship between the logic of an argument and the number of exclamation points used to make it.

Message 37 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

How is that smart if you raise the price of postage your paying them 10%. Postage should be exluded from fees. 

again, you need to learn about business....

your point to raise the shipping cost to a buyer, to pay the fee....is NOT the way to go....first buyer look at the shipping so if you are higher, you'll miss a sale...so yes you saved paying the 10%, but you have $0 for a total....and I doubt that will be a good profit for you.

In most business, when you price or accept an offer(sale)...you have counted in ALL expenses..cost to sell that item...which includes tape/package/gas/ original cost of item AND shipping+ FEES===SO the TOTAL SALE(including shipping paid by buyer) - the costs = your profit;

so my point....YOU can raise the PRICE of the item , OR accept a price that fits into your profit margin....

NOW again, raiseing the price...might put you in a higher price, so sales may suffer too...

so what is the answer? well you figure out your  profit needs, and costs (close as you can), look at shipping cost--is free shipping gaining you sales? would a shipping paid by buyer listed lower than others be better, can you save on supplies, or on what you pay for original item(if you re selling)... lots of things to consider....BUT you are using EBAY's site and rules....fair to you doesn't matter--you choose to sell or not here. And you want buyer to buy YOUR items...so think like a buyer,  with seller in mind, BUT what would a buyer see on your listing?...high shipping? but lowest price....or higer price, but lower shipping...(comparing to others) BUT either way the TOTAL is the same...so profit comes after costs and fees..... That's business.

Message 38 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

I dont care that you dont care.  It's about fairness lady !!!!! It is absolutely wrong because they are making money off you that is not being paid to you. Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. ABSOLUTELY WRONG .

wow you should care ...you came to ask why? and then you blast someone who told you why....and who if you looked back answers lots of question from people....

you could learn a lot from her....especially since it seems you are still learning all this stuff.... few ever know it all, but most try and ask, and still find they jhave to re read and ask again....not saying EBAY announcements and policies are alway clear and consise, but  may be fine a friend..... some people actually can become  "friends" here and can answer a question via PM....  you could call Ebay CS and ask them.....(lots of laughing out there)

Message 39 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

I dont care that you dont care.  It's about fairness lady !!!!! It is absolutely wrong because they are making money off you that is not being paid to you. Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The date they started this was in July 2011, and at that time they discounted the FVF for a majority of category by 1% to offset this change.  Nobody seems to remember this when they start complaining about this.

If it really is just about what is right and wrong for you, then one solution for you is to offer free shipping so you will not have any fees on your shipping amount (free = $0.00)? 

Also if your listing are TRS + qualified you get a discount off your item price (not shipping) So by bundling your item and shipping price into the item price you will get a discount off the entire item price which has the shipping built in.  So it is actually possible to get an earned discount on your shipping. (when you bundle shipping into the item price).

Many sellers make the mistake of thinking postage is the only cost involved in shipping and I think you are in this group?  The fact is you have a handful of extra costs that if you should be considering.  The FVF on shipping is an extra cost just like packaging and packing material, time, travel, etc.

When you decide how much to charge for shipping you should be considering these things in your shipping price. I actually set my shipping prices lower than the actual cost to ship but I bundle the missing amount into the price, and I do a lot of flat rate shipping for an entire order.

This creates a lot of transaction with a very low shipping cost showing and the extra items that ship in the order all have some shipping cost built into the item price so I do not lose out in fact I rarely lose on shipping.  It just some how always seems to work for the better.

When the new eBay payments gets off the ground in Sept. 2018 ebay has already said one easy to understand fee, so this is not something that will go away and perhaps your thread might be the last time we see this subject, (fingers crossed).  We see about 50 threads a year on this same subject from sellers who do not know the fee structure and or do not understand how it all works together.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 40 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

Dear your in the dark you are invoiced and pay ebay a percentage on what you make but they include the postage also in that percentage.  While the seller may pay for the postage you still end up paying them a percentage on the postage which is not part of your income. It seems wrong to be charged fees on money that is not coming to you but to the US Government.

You are seriously confused, dear.

The seller is the person who sells things.  The seller is the person who pays the Final Value Fees and all other eBay fees.

The buyer is the person who buys things.  The buyer pays the seller.  The buyer does not directly pay any eBay fees.

Would you care to try again on why any buyer should care about the fees that a seller pays?

Oh, and not to confuse your issues even more, the USPS is not the US Government.  It is a separate entity.

Message 41 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. 

Smart sellers are.

Message 42 of 101
latest reply

ebay started the FVF on shipping since 2009

Message 43 of 101
latest reply

Hi goodcatch2 - There is a way to combat the way ebay charges fees on postage or shipping...Just search ebay for bulk lots of mint stamps ( no matter the face values ) and as long as you can buy them between 80 to 85% of face value. That is what i do . Then the expense of you being charged fees on the price of the postage or shipping will be covered....I started doing this with stamps with an investment of $100.00 in the year 1974 when i left school. I was only 17 years old then and am almost 61 now.  My dad lent me the money.  I told him he would be paid back in 12 months with an earn of 10% ( totalling $110.00 ) I actually paid him back before the 12 months was up.  I then compounded it all and the profit i made bought more stamps and so on. Sort of like getting compound intrest in the bank but a different format. That was when i was in australia... That was going on for 35 years and I then moved to ohio in 2011 and before my move to the states, i then went to stamp shows in Sydney and Melbourne and traded my aussie stamps for USA stamps  at 90% their way for any mint USA stamps.... That means $1,000.00 of australian stamps i received back $900.00 USA stamps. We did not worry about conversion rates. The dealers had to make a profit and i was willing to take the lossof 10% as i saw the bigger picture..What was the use keeping the australian stamps when they were not useful for me overseas in USA and the usa stamps were not useful for them in Australia so it was a win win situation. After all was finnished , i sent over to a family member in AZ  $17,000 ( face value ) of USA stamps and picked it up on the way through to OHIO. 

If you can picture, the package was a bit bigger than a medium priority mail box. On top of that, the rest of the money i eart from the stamps paid for my shippig container from AU to USA. That was close to $10,000 itself.

I saw the large scale of things as you can see...The package was there when we arrived in the states in August of 2011. Those stamps now are what i use to send packages back home to family in Australia and all my ebay packages i ship of today... I even pay for tracking ( as that is what ebay insists )  with the stamps. I make sure to scan the packages before i send to the buyer and send them a message through ebay so they know what to expect in the mail and that ebay has it on record.  I can show a package in here but cannot show you the side with the adress due to buyers privacy. ... The first thing you have to do is to decide what amount of money you want to spend as your initial investment into the stamps and what values you want to buy. The lower the face value, i can promise you the bigger discount you will get as most dealers are lazy and simply dont want o play around with the smaller values. That is where i gain from it all. You may even be able to buy them at 60% depending on what mood the stamp dealer is in. There was one time on the back of a medium priority mail box, i placed a full sheet of 4c stamps. That in itself was only $2 face value but higher denominations ( grand total of 11.65 ) were placed on the edges and top to make up the price to ship...... The biggest amounts of stamp values i purchased were 3c 4c 5c 8c and 13c stamps. There were absolutely hundreds of sheets of stamps that i bought from 1 seller in ebay. They were mostly 3c stamps. At the back of a small priority mail box, one can fit 25 x 3c stamps and then the balance is on the other sides. Most people these days are lazy and dont want to do the work. That is their loss i guess.

Me personally all i see is approx a 15-20%  for sticking stamps on a package.. AND THAT IS AT NO RISK!!!! So let ebay charge fees on the shipping as personally i dont care.... I have worked a way to combat that loss of fees on the postage or shipping. No one can win with ebay and that is that. We simply  have to look after ourselves in one form or another and try to make up for the fees we have to fork out to ebay.

Just remember ebay is a company and needs fees to pay their staff. If they cant pay their staff then the staff go elsewhere to look for a job...Then it is all downhill and ebay will be vaporized so to speak...So you either pay the fees and make up for it in another format or simply dont bother... BTW, i am not on ebays side so dont get that into your heads.... I simply have found a method so my fees paid to ebay from paypal are taken care of and dont come out of the price i sell my items for in the ebay auctions. I had to spend my money to make the money....Just like what Kevin  O'Leary says on shark tank.

I cannot tell you what to do but i have proven to myself that stamps do not devalue and are always usable 

as long as they are mint with the glue on the back.

You can ignore me or take note but i did not retire before the age of 55 and purchased my first home at 27 ( with no mortgage ) because it was wrong and did not earn money for me.

Regards oz_in_ohio

Message 44 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

They did it because sellers were and still are making money off shipping and handling.

Message 45 of 101
latest reply