cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay should not being charging fees including postage !!

I just was made aware that ebay's fees include the postage. If that isn't robbery what is.  Postage is paid to the us government and Ebay should not be making money off the postage amount.

Buyers need to start speaking up  until they start to be fair.

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Hey goodcatch.....Take no notice of pingpong...

If you did not see my lengthly message than i will send it to you in an im.... 

I copied and pasted it to make sure i still had it on file for you...

Message 46 of 101
latest reply

it's been going on for many years. They do it because many sellers overcharge on shipping. What eBay wants sellers to do is "free shipping" - including it in the total price.
Message 47 of 101
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio wrote:

Hi goodcatch2 - There is a way to combat the way ebay charges fees on postage or shipping...Just search ebay for bulk lots of mint stamps ( no matter the face values ) and as long as you can buy them between 80 to 85% of face value. That is what i do .

LOL, the "ship with stamps (and without tracking)" guy is back. Hi oz!

Message 48 of 101
latest reply

They used that as an excuse to change the calculation but I think the real reason was that they were pushing "free" shipping at the time and penalizing sellers for including shipping in the item price was against that goal.

The fees are an expense against the total revenue. Total revenue is equal to what the seller charges for item, shipping and taxes. The fee is not really a fee against shipping, it is an expense against the item sale, just like all the other expenses. It LOOKS like an expense against shipping because it is assessed when the buyer pays and chooses the shipping method.

Sellers should stop thinking of this as a fee against shipping and think of it as a fee against the sale. It doesn't matter how it is calculated. Sellers are going to pay the same fees. Ebay is not going to walk away from money. Nearly everyone who argues this point is obviously assuming Ebay would just walk away from the extra money. That's ridiculous.

Nearly everyone balks when you ask them if they'd rather pay 15% on the item price instead.

Message 49 of 101
latest reply

Whatever the reason, imo these types of sellers gave them the opportunity to implement it.

They might have done it anyway, but who knows.

But even today as I mentioned in another post, I am seeing shipping charges 3X, 4X and more than what they should be.

Sellers are padding the shipping cost and at the same time, downgrading their packaging.

Just received another doll in such a frankenstein box I had to wait until one of my childen came home to help me open it.  It was a mass of pieced together boxes and wads of tape.

Message 50 of 101
latest reply

First of all, the FVF rate didn't drop because they added 10% to the shipping cost.  The 2 charges are completely unrelated.  They ONLY charge 10% on shipping to prevent people for selling for $1.00 & charging $30 for S/H & avoiding the FVF.  Secondly, they have absolutely nothing to do with the S/H.  They don't package up the mail, take it to the P.O. etc. so, why should they get 10% of my money that is used to send the mail?  How many businesses would still be around if they tried that nonsense?!  Good luck getting sales if you charge the 10% to the buyer on top of the, already, high S/H costs!  Best of luck to all.

Message 51 of 101
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Good luck getting sales if you charge the 10% to the buyer on top of the, already, high S/H costs!  Best of luck to all.

If your items won't sell for a price that can absorb an increase in fees, then you probably should consider another product line.

It's not eBay's (or any venue's) job to ensure that whatever you want to sell will make a profit.  It is your job to ensure that what you choose to sell will make a profit.  Or not, if you have some reason other than profit for selling stuff.

Message 52 of 101
latest reply

I'm frustrated that eBay isn't paying ME for exhibiting my interesting, exciting, and exotic items on their site.  Fortunately I sell enough, and charge buyers enough, to cover all the fees, postage, and shipping materials, and have a little bit left for me.  But it would be a lot nicer if eBay would pay up!

Now if we could just have a class-action suit against all those buyers who make ridiculously low offers on my amazing items!

grin

Message 53 of 101
latest reply

Hi,no hope ebay has been doing this for years,they need the money LOL!!!!!!

Message 54 of 101
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio- those are some mighty purty looking packages!  I hope, though, that you're still purchasing tracking at the USPS counter - don't know how that works now with stamps.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 55 of 101
latest reply

attn chapeau_noir .......The amount of stamps placed on the package covers all the tracking...As you see originally all postage stamps were purchased from the post office and they ( the USPS ) alredady have the money. Whether it be yesterday, last year, 10 years ago , 20 years ago and so on...the only thing that changes is the going price of stamps of the day and the cost of the shipping of a package....Like i placed a lot of 5c stamps that were the cost of a letter in the mid 1960's what would be the difference if there were all 35 x 10c cent stamps on the package or 6 x forever stamps + 1 x 50c stamp???? There could also be 3 x $1 stamps - 2 x 20c staps and 10 x 1c stamps...It would all come to the same price.  I even do it with priority mail flat rate envelopes and 

boxes no matter the size....The priority boxes are the best as i can place a complete sheet of 3c . 4c , 5c, 6c or 8c stamps with the balance on the other side. I get rid of more quantity of stamps that way . Attached you will find a usps receipt i recently shipped to colorado....The username is not on there nor the name of the person or the adress so it is not disclosing anyones personal information....Take a note of what is stated under the tracking numbers that i omitted for the buyers protection. Actual item cost 6.70 but i accidently placed 7.25 in stamps....Was all mentioned on the invoice where in ( ) it said at the bottom affixed amount. I think i counted the stamps out wrongly at the beginning...my loss i guess. I dont do that all the time but to get rid of bulk small values, it sometimes pays off.

So you see the fact i may have bought the stamps many years ago ( which i did in Australia )  before i moved to USA in 2011 , it does not matter what values i place on a package...AS LONG AS IT TOTALS THE EXACT AMOUNT NEEDED OR A FEW CENTS MORE. You cannot place less than the amount needed....Many times i have placed stamps that are a few cents more like 50c stamps to send a 49c as i was short of the smaller values. I dont mind losing a penny to gain with using up the others. The usps does not care as long at the right amount is covered. I even do it for my stamp club and they only pay media mail price and are a non profit organization.

In australia ( prior 2011 ) i used to sell boxes of DL window face business enveopes pre stamped for 80% of face value on ebay and could not keep up with them. I could not ship them as then it would counteract the saving made . It was pick up only and limited to buyers in Melbourne Victoria Australia.  I dont do that now as i cannot as i do not have enough stamps to warrant the amount needed so i just use them on my ebay packages. As you see it save the buyer 20% at the post office and saved them paying their office staff for unproductive work so both sides won. Decided to add 2 more pics of packages of photos i sent to my family in Australia as my brother collects stamps like me.

He also used to buy stamps off me under the face value to counteract some of his ebay expenses but now as i only use USA stamps, he has to fend for himself. Those days on me helping him are long gone. 

As always there are going to be many people that disagree with me but what do they do in front of television each night?? They just sit there stuck to the goon box ( australian slang for television ) like beached whales whilst i am doing the envelopes and earning money. It is a shame i cannot place my eeymayal adress in here or we would talk personally but we have to play by ebay rules and laws.  As  i said before, the more money you place into the stamps, the larger the profit it will be and there is no way of a loss as they will always remain at face value... I have been doing this since i was 17 years old ( 1975 ) of age and am now 61 next month so there has to be some benefit to it. In those early days i did not worry about the profit made as i was working as well and let the stamps take care of themselves....I used the profit to simply buy more stamps at stamp shows until i had a back flow of close to $5000 face value so i know i would not run out too quickly. Those were in my teen years but as i got older, that quantity had to increase due to the added customers i obtained.  Note i am speaking only of aussie stamps ...Then when ebay came around, i had to upgrade to higher valued face value stamps which took up mor money to outlay. I did not switch to USA stamps until the year 2010 as i was moving to ohio in 2011 and aussie stamps were useless in USA. I got rid of them before my migration. Real estate agents were the best as they needed to mail out accounts for rental properties every week and i always kept 10 completed boxes of envelopes on hand.  When they bought in 2 new boxes, i then gave them the stamped boxes with their bill . Nowadays it is nearly all computerized so the Real Estate agents have somewhat dwindled for me. Did you notice something here??? 

You do not need a college education to do this...All you need is the first initial $ amount of cash to outlay and guts to spend it on stamps that may sit in the cupboard for a while until the wheel starts rolling.

I started it all off with $560.00 in 1974 which was the total money i received as gifts from my friends and family

in 1970 for my barmitzvah.

WHAT I DO WITH MONEY EARNT FROM ENVELOPES

In fact, in 1971 the first hard rock cafe opened in Lonon UK.

In 1974 invested the bami money into stamps

1989 i used the money i earnt from the stamps to start off my

HRC pin collection and that collection just snowballed from there.

To close off, i know it worked for me and i wanted to get my children

doing it so by the time they were 18 years old, they had a downpayment

on their first car each as in Australia as it is legal to drive at 18.

But the kids of today over there are way too lazy to want to do any

sort of work. They just want things on a silver platter.

If the envelopes are not easy money to earn, then nothing is.

I know ebay wont like what i have said and they will more than likely

delete parts of it  but really  the envelopes were

sold on their site and they got commission so i dont know what they can complain about..

OIO

Message 56 of 101
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio wrote:

attn chapeau_noir .......The amount of stamps placed on the package covers all the tracking...As you see originally all postage stamps were purchased from the post office and they ( the USPS ) alredady have the money. Whether it be yesterday, last year, 10 years ago , 20 years ago and so on...the only thing that changes is the going price of stamps of the day and the cost of the shipping of a package....Like i placed a lot of 5c stamps that were the cost of a letter in the mid 1960's what would be the difference if there were all 35 x 10c cent stamps on the package or 6 x forever stamps + 1 x 50c stamp???? There could also be 3 x $1 stamps - 2 x 20c staps and 10 x 1c stamps...It would all come to the same price.  I even do it with priority mail flat rate envelopes and 

boxes no matter the size....The priority boxes are the best as i can place a complete sheet of 3c . 4c , 5c, 6c or 8c stamps with the balance on the other side. I get rid of more quantity of stamps that way . Attached you will find a usps receipt i recently shipped to colorado....The username is not on there nor the name of the person or the adress so it is not disclosing anyones personal information....Take a note of what is stated under the tracking numbers that i omitted for the buyers protection. Actual item cost 6.70 but i accidently placed 7.25 in stamps....Was all mentioned on the invoice where in ( ) it said at the bottom affixed amount. I think i counted the stamps out wrongly at the beginning...my loss i guess. I dont do that all the time but to get rid of bulk small values, it sometimes pays off.

So you see the fact i may have bought the stamps many years ago ( which i did in Australia )  before i moved to USA in 2011 , it does not matter what values i place on a package...AS LONG AS IT TOTALS THE EXACT AMOUNT NEEDED OR A FEW CENTS MORE. You cannot place less than the amount needed....Many times i have placed stamps that are a few cents more like 50c stamps to send a 49c as i was short of the smaller values. I dont mind losing a penny to gain with using up the others. The usps does not care as long at the right amount is covered. I even do it for my stamp club and they only pay media mail price and are a non profit organization.

In australia ( prior 2011 ) i used to sell boxes of DL window face business enveopes pre stamped for 80% of face value on ebay and could not keep up with them. I could not ship them as then it would counteract the saving made . It was pick up only and limited to buyers in Melbourne Victoria Australia.  I dont do that now as i cannot as i do not have enough stamps to warrant the amount needed so i just use them on my ebay packages. As you see it save the buyer 20% at the post office and saved them paying their office staff for unproductive work so both sides won. Decided to add 2 more pics of packages of photos i sent to my family in Australia as my brother collects stamps like me.

He also used to buy stamps off me under the face value to counteract some of his ebay expenses but now as i only use USA stamps, he has to fend for himself. Those days on me helping him are long gone. 

As always there are going to be many people that disagree with me but what do they do in front of television each night?? They just sit there stuck to the goon box ( australian slang for television ) like beached whales whilst i am doing the envelopes and earning money. It is a shame i cannot place my eeymayal adress in here or we would talk personally but we have to play by ebay rules and laws.  As  i said before, the more money you place into the stamps, the larger the profit it will be and there is no way of a loss as they will always remain at face value... I have been doing this since i was 17 years old ( 1975 ) of age and am now 61 next month so there has to be some benefit to it. In those early days i did not worry about the profit made as i was working as well and let the stamps take care of themselves....I used the profit to simply buy more stamps at stamp shows until i had a back flow of close to $5000 face value so i know i would not run out too quickly. Those were in my teen years but as i got older, that quantity had to increase due to the added customers i obtained.  Note i am speaking only of aussie stamps ...Then when ebay came around, i had to upgrade to higher valued face value stamps which took up mor money to outlay. I did not switch to USA stamps until the year 2010 as i was moving to ohio in 2011 and aussie stamps were useless in USA. I got rid of them before my migration. Real estate agents were the best as they needed to mail out accounts for rental properties every week and i always kept 10 completed boxes of envelopes on hand.  When they bought in 2 new boxes, i then gave them the stamped boxes with their bill . Nowadays it is nearly all computerized so the Real Estate agents have somewhat dwindled for me. Did you notice something here??? 

You do not need a college education to do this...All you need is the first initial $ amount of cash to outlay and guts to spend it on stamps that may sit in the cupboard for a while until the wheel starts rolling.

I started it all off with $560.00 in 1974 which was the total money i received as gifts from my friends and family

in 1970 for my barmitzvah.

WHAT I DO WITH MONEY EARNT FROM ENVELOPES

In fact, in 1971 the first hard rock cafe opened in Lonon UK.

In 1974 invested the bami money into stamps

1989 i used the money i earnt from the stamps to start off my

HRC pin collection and that collection just snowballed from there.

To close off, i know it worked for me and i wanted to get my children

doing it so by the time they were 18 years old, they had a downpayment

on their first car each as in Australia as it is legal to drive at 18.

But the kids of today over there are way too lazy to want to do any

sort of work. They just want things on a silver platter.

If the envelopes are not easy money to earn, then nothing is.

I know ebay wont like what i have said and they will more than likely

delete parts of it  but really  the envelopes were

sold on their site and they got commission so i dont know what they can complain about..

OIO

Spending your day creating these large posts, is that what being retired is all about? Have you thought of getting a hobby?

Message 57 of 101
latest reply

The percentage of FVF DID drop in some categories when they extended to include shipping in the calculation. Ebay also started offering free pictures and free listings. 

The calculation is a BASIS. The total is just the most fair way of allocating the pool of fees out among the sellers. It has nothing to do with whether they specifically print labels, it is through Ebay you get the ENTIRE sale. The shipping comes along with the item no? It doesn't just randomly show up out of thin air. It's part of the Ebay sale.

This is not a tax on shipping. It is an allocation of fees by the most fair method possible.

BTW they get 10% of postage just like they get 10% of the money that went to buy the item, the money you paid to buy packing materials, the gas you used to get around to the yard sales. Why would the postage expense be any different than any other expense? You don't get to keep THAT money either.

Message 58 of 101
latest reply

My point is this - eBay has NOTHING to do with the shipping so, why should they get 10% of the money?  I agree with paying fees for use of their site.  No problem.  I do not make any money on shipping & most times, I pay into shipping so, why should I give out another 10% to them??!  What do they do to earn that fee?  Don't go into the making a profit nonsense.  Selling something for more than what you paid for it doesn't factor into shipping unless you are offering free shipping or pay a huge % of it.  Paying a third party for shipping fees, who do NOTHING to earn it, is ridiculous.  How many businesses do you think would survive with that kind of policy?  Judging by the difficulty of having decent sales on here, eBay isn't booming with that policy, either.

Message 59 of 101
latest reply

S/H is not earnings!!!!  Why should we have to share it??  Understand yet??

Message 60 of 101
latest reply