cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay should not being charging fees including postage !!

I just was made aware that ebay's fees include the postage. If that isn't robbery what is.  Postage is paid to the us government and Ebay should not be making money off the postage amount.

Buyers need to start speaking up  until they start to be fair.

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: Ebay should not being charging fees including postage !!

I'm not sure how you would not have known about this, but most online venues do this, even Etsy started it this spring. The fees you pay to eBay covers a lot of ground, and offers you a global market with safe guards you will not get on Facebook. I sell on several venues, including Facebook. My sales are highest on eBay, and frankly, I get really sick of people constantly whining about fees.

Message 16 of 101
latest reply

First off, the fees are the fees. If they didn’t include the shipping portion the percentage would be higher. You are not paying higher fees because eBay changed the way they calculated them to make them more fair.

Second, I don’t know why it would be illegal to charge fees on shipping? What law would that be breaking? eBay can base fees on anything they want. They could charge you according to the phases of the moon and your eye color because you agreed to abide by their terms.

this way the sellers of the exact same ball for the exact same total pays the exact same fees regardless of how they split out their shipping. Exactly as it should be.

Message 17 of 101
latest reply

Ebay has been charging the FVF on shipping since July 6, 2011.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/SpringUpdate2011.html
Message 18 of 101
latest reply

It's true this has been happening since 2011, but I've never thought it's fair or makes sense.  We get all the shipping labels from ebay.  Instead of ebay taking the buyer's money and giving us a shipping label, they're saying "Wait seller, you hold on to that money for a minute, then pay us an extra 11% interest, then we'll give you that shipping label."

Any way you cut it, it's basically a fee for nothing, on nothing.  It's ebay just saying "Hey, we see that money exists, but before it gets to us let's throw a fee on it!"

I get that back in 2011 it was a way to get sellers to use the Free Shipping option.  But nowadays they should be able to write their code so that sellers get charged the same Final Value Fee whether or not they use Free Shipping.  (Just deduct the actual label cost from the total price.)

In the end it was a cash grab and a fee increase, though it was very misleading.  Just one of the things like the TRS 10% fee reduction and Free Returns requirement that has made this place worse for sellers over the years.  Which has led to ebay's higher item prices and poorer selection.

Message 19 of 101
latest reply

@sonoranboutique wrote:

In the end it was a cash grab and a fee increase, though it was very misleading.  Just one of the things like the TRS 10% fee reduction and Free Returns requirement that has made this place worse for sellers over the years.  Which has led to ebay's higher item prices and poorer selection.

For-profit companies are all about grabbing cash. 

Message 20 of 101
latest reply

How is that smart if you raise the price of postage your paying them 10%. Postage should be exluded from fees. 

Message 21 of 101
latest reply

I dont care that you dont care.  It's about fairness lady !!!!! It is absolutely wrong because they are making money off you that is not being paid to you. Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 22 of 101
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@goodcatch2 Why aren’t you complaining about PayPal doing the same thing? PayPal has done this since the beginning. 

as a BUYER I couldn’t care less how eBay or any other venue charges their sellers. Buyers aren’t going to

I dont care that you dont care.  It's about fairness lady !!!!! It is absolutely wrong because they are making money off you that is not being paid to you. Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boycott because of this.

Message 23 of 101
latest reply

I dont care that you dont care.  It's about fairness lady !!!!! It is absolutely wrong because they are making money off you that is not being paid to you. Your not making money off postage so why do they penalize you by charging 10% off your sale on the postage amount. ABSOLUTELY WRONG .

Message 24 of 101
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

Buyers need to start speaking up until they start to be fair.

Why would buyers care about fees the seller pays?

Message 25 of 101
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

Why aren’t you complaining about PayPal doing the same thing? PayPal has done this since the beginning. 

PayPal is a payment processing service.  The fee is based on the total amount of money that is transferred.  It has absolutely no bearing on what any of that money is used for later.

Message 26 of 101
latest reply

@satisfiedcoinsandstamps wrote:

I have to stick up for eBay on this one.  Some years ago, sellers were selling the items for a very small amount and were charging huge shipping fees to make the difference.  For example, if an item was sold for $25.00, eBay would receive at least 6% of that.  However, before eBay started charging fees on shipping, the seller would sell the item for $1.00 with $24.00 shipping.  eBay would receive 6 cents on the second offering, and $1.50 the normal way.  Ebay had to stop that in order to receive the proper revenue by charging on shipping.  Hope this makes sense.

I purchase the postage through ebay and printing off my shipping label so there is no faking the shipping there. This should not apply in this situation.

Message 27 of 101
latest reply

@sonoranboutique wrote:

I get that back in 2011 it was a way to get sellers to use the Free Shipping option.  But nowadays they should be able to write their code so that sellers get charged the same Final Value Fee whether or not they use Free Shipping.  (Just deduct the actual label cost from the total price.)

You are suggesting that all sellers must print shipping labels through eBay, correct?

Not going to happen.  Your solution is not feasible.

Message 28 of 101
latest reply

Read the terms you agreed to.    this fee is longstanding and not hidden.

The answer center needs to be canceled.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 29 of 101
latest reply

When you buy shipping labels through EBay they should know the actual cost of shipping the USPS is actually charging. Therefore in all fairness they should only charge a fee on any amount that a seller charges over the actual cost. Unfortunately we are not playing on a level and fair field. The best suggestion is to work the actual shipping cost plus fees into your selling price and offer free shipping.

Message 30 of 101
latest reply