cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay says "Good 'Til Cancelled" changes are good for sellers, what do you say?

Ebay good til canceled changes.png

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: Ebay says "Good 'Til Cancelled" changes are good for sellers, what do you say?

@tvcollectibles wrote:

So let's say a seller has 10,000 items listed on the 1st using their maximum allowed free items, the listings will now be automatically listed on the 31st leaving the seller to be charged for all the 10,000 re-listings?

How many sellers do you think list ALL their listings on the one day? Let alone all on the 1st of the month?

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 76 of 147
latest reply

Re: Ebay says "Good 'Til Cancelled" changes are good for sellers, what do you say?

I could not agree more... my business is already suffering.  Let me decide the duration, not eBay.. I've been selling on eBay for over 20 years and this is the absolute worst decision eBay has ever made!   I normally have between 150-200 listings, why even have and pay for my store?  No benefit … I can list 1000 listings a month, but with the 30 day till cancel...  there's 800 relisting I can't even use.    

Message 77 of 147
latest reply

It's better for eBay, updating every 30 days with another listing fee, sellers will need to be aware when that 30 day period arrives or their listing will be automatically charged another listing fee. My experience selling over the past 20 years shows the buyers get heavier on the last day of a listing, with this new program this will not occur. I prefer being able to conduct my business my way not eBay's way. I have been through many eBay changes, some have been better for the seller and some have not. Only time will tell. I am not for this change, I like to control my business...

Message 78 of 147
latest reply

Message 79 of 147
latest reply

This is terrible! I hate it! If I wanted an Item listed GTC I know how to do it. I do NOT want many listed this way!!!!!!

Message 80 of 147
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay since 1999 and this change does not affect me at all.

For many years now I just list everything as GTC and forget about it until someone buys it, a lot less work is required that way. Sometimes I will have a look at older listings and drop the price a bit, if possible.

One of the (few) good things eBay did for sellers was bringing in (for Australian stores) a $50 per month store fee with 1500 free listings, or 1500 divided by $50 = about 3.3 cents per listing.

That suited me fine, so, I just keep about 1500 items listed, as items sell, I replace them with new ones.

They are listed as ship to Australia only, as overseas shipping caused too many headaches and losses.

Auctions were good for a while, but they are a lot of extra work and don't spread the workload evenly, so I gave up on them years ago and just list GTC, set and forget.

I can list auctions if I choose for 3.3 cents each (as long as I stick to 1500 listings a month) but choose not to bother, as I sell enough by GTC.

However, I understand that my business model does not necessarily suit other people and what people are upset about is the lack of CHOICE in how to manage their listings.

It seems like another attempt to force  sellers into a store situation and is another impost on smaller sellers who don't have or want a store.

This is unfortunate, because the small sellers are what add the diversity and flavour to eBay.

All I can offer is that one tries to adapt to eBay's constant changes, where possible.

If one cannot, it is time to move on.

If you have not got an eBay store, have a look and see if it might suit you.

There are several different stores, all which offer quite a few low cost listings, it may be better to pay the $20 or $50 a month and have a store. Also, the Final Value F'ees are usually a lower charge if you have a store.

As for me, I nearly quit eBay a few times over changes they made, but am glad I stuck around...

Message 81 of 147
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

@calntom wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I think for a lot of us it will give much greater visibility in Google. No more "this listing has ended, here's a similar item" message when a searcher click an Ebay link.

I am absolutely willing to adjust the way I list if it gets me greater visibility in the world's largest search engine.

If eBay is finally getting back in cozy with goggle, I agree that is a positive move. 

Just curious but what gives you the idea that ebay is getting back in friendly mode with Google? here certainly has not been any word from Google to that effect and nothing ebay does on their side of the firewall will make Google sigh and get the warm fuzzies.

Google has all the power, it's their way or the highway, pay up like everyone else or beat it. Ebay abused the system until Google was fed up and had enough. the ebay thought they would do the same thing with social media, Facebook in particular, lolol...The day I heard Heir Wenig say, with a straight face mind you, that Facebook would pick up (for free evn) where Google left off, I nearly hurt myself laughing so hard. Just on a side note, you know less than 4% of the site traffic on ebay comes from social media, not facebook, all social media platforms combined!

Not trying to get all up in your face or anything but just making sure you aren't getting your hopes up over a Google/Ebay hug it out session that isn't going to happen any time soon.

@treasure.hunter.d 

It is pure speculation that eBay is getting back in with google. The GTC endeavor points to working with google. If eBay is cutting a deal to pay more to google for better search results, then eBay will be ready to play ball. 

I did quite a bit of research on my own listings a few weeks ago. Finding the dead links/listings, seeing how long it takes google to cache one of my GTC listings etc.  It is obvious to me that longer term GTC listings are going to play better with google and other search engines. Especially for multi-quantity items. 

eBay has not eluded to a new deal with google but they were sure giddy about search engine talk in the Early Spring Update Chat earlier this month. 

I certainly don't possess any type of "hopes" for a google/ebay snuggle session and don't really care, though it would be a good idea for ebay to learn to play nicely and then pay up. It would be good for ebay to get this train heading in the right direction for long term benefit.

Message 82 of 147
latest reply

MERCARI looks interesting
Message 83 of 147
latest reply

I've used GTC since the beginning. Don't know what I would do without it (other than manually re-listing my store items all month).
Message 84 of 147
latest reply

This is not good for me!! I am in and out of Town and can not take my products to ship with me, therefore I will have to Cancel and relist. If I don't cancel and take a chance and leave my listings up and items sell that I can not ship right away I will then get dinged for not shipping within a day. I do not want to pay for a store just so I can put my stuff on notice for out of Town sales.
The option was there for people to choose until cancelled so I am not sure why Ebay is taking away my flexibility to list for a shorter amount of time, and no I don't want to list Auction style to get that option.
I may have to look at other sites to sell on if Ebay is not willing to stay flexible for my lifestyle.
Message 85 of 147
latest reply

A policy that is good for sellers would be one that allows options.  No everybody runs their selling the same way.  Many of us operate within our monthly number of free listings.  We are the small sellers on which ebay was built.

This new policy is a blatant way for ebay to extract more listing fees when items automatically relist, but the seller has run out of free listings.  Now, as listings near their 30 days, I'll have to cancel them to avoid relisting (and applicable charges), and perhaps miss last minute buyers.

Does not help sellers.

Infuriating and sad.

Message 86 of 147
latest reply

This is not good for me!! I am in and out of Town and can not take my products to ship with me, therefore I will have to Cancel and relist. If I don't cancel and take a chance and leave my listings up and items sell that I can not ship right away I will then get dinged for not shipping within a day. I do not want to pay for a store just so I can put my stuff on notice for out of Town sales.
The option was there for people to choose until cancelled so I am not sure why Ebay is taking away my flexibility to list for a shorter amount of time, and no I don't want to list Auction style to get that option.
I may have to look at other sites to sell on if Ebay is not willing to stay flexible for my lifestyle.
Message 87 of 147
latest reply

Message 88 of 147
latest reply

Change your handling time before you go out of town.  It's a (fairly) quick bulk edit.

Even if you use vacation settings the ultimate and only foolproof  protection is:  Change your handling time.  

You won't lose the TRS+ discount on all FVFs; just on the ones that don't have 1-day handling.  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 89 of 147
latest reply

I will be putting a new line in my item description.  It will be all red caps warning people about the actual date this listing will end.  

Message 90 of 147
latest reply