cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's total disregard for sellers...re: new 15 day limit on putting items on sale

I have been a seller for a few years, have done everything right according to Ebay, gone along with new policies (offer guaranteed delivery, free shipping, have 100% positive fb etc) and was a TPS Plus until the free shipping requirement. This morning I found out that Ebay has instituted a policy that an item that was on promotion cannot be put back on sale for 15 days. I sell clothing and this policy is going to significantly hurt my sales. Over the weekend I put a large part of my store on promotion and consequently had a significant boost in sales. I now can't put any of those items back on sale for 15 days. If I were to put some of these items back on sale next weekend and would get a similar boost in sales how is that a bad thing? I called Ebay and was told that buyers have complained about sellers marking items up and immediately putting them on sale. So instead of targeting those sellers and working with them Ebay institutes a blanket policy that affects all sellers. When I run a promotion it's generally 10-20% off. I do not mark up items before they go on sale. Increased volume of purchases as a result of a promotion is good for me and ultimately Ebay too. Also, there is no way to tell which items are eligible to be put on promotion. If I go to the promotions page and format a sale there is no indication as to which items are beyond the 15 day restriction. Finally, as a seller shouldn't I have received prior notice to this policy? I found out from another seller.

I have always been one to defend Ebay when others complain about policies as a great venue for selling but after they have made free shipping a requirement for TRS Plus and now this I am very discouraged. I would think I am the kind of seller Ebay wants to keep happy as I am making them money. It feels like Ebay is trying to get rid of sellers like me.

Message 1 of 246
latest reply
245 REPLIES 245

Re: Ebay's total disregard for sellers...re: new 15 day limit on putting items on sale

So tagging him as I did in my posts doesn’t call him?

tyler@ebay

brian.t@ebay

Message 61 of 246
latest reply

Re: Ebay's total disregard for sellers...re: new 15 day limit on putting items on sale

There is nothing deceptive about a seller having a sale, even if it is a continuous sale.   Buyers still have the ability to compare prices.  

What I  see happening is getting more and more scary.   Sellers are losing the ability to control their business, so, now we can no longer decide when we can put our item on Sale.   This is yet another push for sellers to explore selling their wares elsewhere. 

Message 62 of 246
latest reply

This is a terrible idea we put items on sale all the time if they are not selling well.  What happens when we get close to holidays?  If we do not get the item in stock 14 days before black Friday you cant put it on sale?  This needs to be changed. 

Message 63 of 246
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@coniferclothingcompany wrote:

I have been a seller for a few years, have done everything right according to Ebay, gone along with new policies (offer guaranteed delivery, free shipping, have 100% positive fb etc) and was a TPS Plus until the free shipping requirement. This morning I found out that Ebay has instituted a policy that an item that was on promotion cannot be put back on sale for 15 days. I sell clothing and this policy is going to significantly hurt my sales. Over the weekend I put a large part of my store on promotion and consequently had a significant boost in sales. I now can't put any of those items back on sale for 15 days. If I were to put some of these items back on sale next weekend and would get a similar boost in sales how is that a bad thing? I called Ebay and was told that buyers have complained about sellers marking items up and immediately putting them on sale. So instead of targeting those sellers and working with them Ebay institutes a blanket policy that affects all sellers. When I run a promotion it's generally 10-20% off. I do not mark up items before they go on sale. Increased volume of purchases as a result of a promotion is good for me and ultimately Ebay too. Also, there is no way to tell which items are eligible to be put on promotion. If I go to the promotions page and format a sale there is no indication as to which items are beyond the 15 day restriction. Finally, as a seller shouldn't I have received prior notice to this policy? I found out from another seller.

I have always been one to defend Ebay when others complain about policies as a great venue for selling but after they have made free shipping a requirement for TRS Plus and now this I am very discouraged. I would think I am the kind of seller Ebay wants to keep happy as I am making them money. It feels like Ebay is trying to get rid of sellers like me.

Hi @coniferclothingcompany, we have made changes to the length of time that an item needs to be on the site at the same price before it can be placed on sale to better serve our Community. When items are listed and immediately placed on sale, we have seen a negative reaction from many buyers. You can read more about this in our Summer Seller Update

If you regularly have some items in stock, I recommend using the Good 'Til Cancelled listing format with the out of stock feature - this will help you to minimize the 14 day waiting period for the sales you wish to run on these items.

Message 64 of 246
latest reply

I sell used clothing, which has an arbitrary price point anyway. I check to see what pricing similar items have sold for .., but it's really like pulling a price out of thin air. These are not prices set by the manufacturer ... again, they are arbitrary. The point is to sell the item!  I put on sales partly to generate business, but also I'm told that if I don't have a sale running, then other sellers items show up down in the listing. If I run a sale, then my items show up down in the listing. This is a big insentive for me.  Again, sellers are being penalized ... which is not good business!  Let's try for a win-win approach please!

Message 65 of 246
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @coniferclothingcompany, we have made changes to the length of time that an item needs to be on the site at the same price before it can be placed on sale to better serve our Community. When items are listed and immediately placed on sale, we have seen a negative reaction from many buyers. You can read more about this in our Summer Seller Update

If I list a widget at a competitive price and within day (5) of that listing I learn my competitor has listed it for slightly less,  I should be allowed to put my widget on sale,  Fourteen days, is too long for a Seller to be allowed to have a sale.   

If you regularly have some items in stock, I recommend using the Good 'Til Cancelled listing format with the out of stock feature - this will help you to minimize the 14 day waiting period for the sales you wish to run on these items.

Message 66 of 246
latest reply

Thanks for your comment.  I personally feel what ebay has done is just wrong.  We pay money to have a "store" and now we can't use the features of the store (through policing with the restriction).  Maybe ebay should credit us for all the listings since we are dead in the water.  This whole 14 day wait is counterintuitive.  It now basically forces you to manually adjust the price on the listing in order to get it to move quicker (for those slower moving products that you just want to clear out).  But, if you manually adjust the price, it will not show up on sale, which could have been enticing to a buyer to know an item is dicounted (the whole point to running a sale in first place!!).  Now that's not to mention we can no longer do blanket sales on the entire store during holidays.    

I agree with what some others have said and also think that the inexperienced and/or underperforming sellers may need to have this restriction.  Not the top rated and above with excellent feedback.

C'mon ebay...get it together and stop penalizing the good sellers for others bad mistakes!!  You are only hurting the seller confidence which in turn hurts  you and the final fees you would have made for lost sale opportunities.

Message 67 of 246
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I list a widget at a competitive price and within day (5) of that listing I learn my competitor has listed it for slightly less,  I should be allowed to put my widget on sale,  Fourteen days, is too long for a Seller to be allowed to have a sale.   

All of my listings are Good til Cancelled, yet when I attempted to used the markdown feature after a recent sale, it would not allow me to start another sale.    Could you please private message me on what you mean by:  " I recommend using the Good 'Til Cancelled listing format with the out of stock feature."  This ID is largely my posting id.  

Message 68 of 246
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@colorful*things wrote:

Also contact eBay via the eBay for Business Facebook page.  They respond to messages there.  I'm surprised no one from eBay has bothered to check in on this thread. That's actually pretty insulting to us sellers, eBay.  

The time to have voiced your concern was when ebay announced this during the latest seller update.

If you want a mod to come to this thread you have to call him here.

I did address the update via eBay Biz on FB.  And I didn't tag an eBay employee because he'd already been tagged multiple times on this thread.  I see he finally responded to ONE of the posts today, but left more unanswered than answered.

Message 69 of 246
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

The seller update specificially says "markdown sales", which many of us take to mean Markdown Manager.  However, many of us are discovering that we cannot run ANY kind of sale - no promo % off, no buy one get X promo, no multiple item purchase discount promo, NOTHING.  This was NOT addressed in the seller update.  When will eBay be giving sellers the FULL policy?  It's affecting our business, reading one thing and then eBay enforcing another unpublished policy.

Message 70 of 246
latest reply

Hi Trinton-I appreciate you responding but have to say the response is upsetting. Your comment about responding to the community means you are completely disregarding the sellers in lieu of making a few buyers who complained about some sellers happy. I don’t have duplicate items often so your suggestion to me will not work. I’m waiting for someone at Ebay to say that they understand what the good sellers are saying and give us a reason to believe that Ebay cares about its sellers. This change will drastically affect my sales on Ebay and from what I can tell lots of others sellers feel the same way. Again, thank you for coming to the thread but I feel like my concerns were not only not addressed but dismissed.

Message 71 of 246
latest reply

July 4th is around the corner, we are already screwed by ebay

Message 72 of 246
latest reply

i hate to bring you the bad news but ebay could absolutely care less about you or any other seller PERIOD! its taken me several years and several bad experiences with con artist to realize it.

Message 73 of 246
latest reply

Can they at least let us create a markdown event WITHOUT a sale? Meaning, no headline declaring that there's a sale, no crossing out of the original price and replacing it with a sale price, and no letting the customers know that the item is a certain % discounted.

Can they just allow us to edit price (either up or down) based on % in bulk?

Meaning, letting us select the items we want to discount by a certain %. Ie, it'd look like: "Select items that you'd want to reduce by (5%, 10%, 15%, 20%)

I have nearly 1,200 items listed and sometimes want to reduce cost on things but with the amount I have in my inventory, it takes FOREVER and also a lot of guesswork - I don't want to reduce too little or too much. Plus, I'd want to have the option to raise the reduced prices back up if lowering them didn't draw in many buyers. My prices are already more than reasonable, but sometimes lowering prices helps move items. Back when I only had 300 items listed, I'd manually reduce prices by a certain % using a calculator, and I'd let them stay at their lowered prices for about a month or so, and if they didn't sell, I just raised them back up since it'd make me realize the cost wasn't the issue, but perhaps keywords needed to be changed, new photos had to be taken, descriptions needed updating, etc. But now I have so many items in stock, I just don't want to sit here for hours and figure out how much to discount over a thousand items. It simply takes too long.

I sell a lot of OOAK, rare, hand made, hand painted, antique, obscure, hard to find items that often don't have a clear starting price point so I have to do a lot of guesswork to figure out how much something is sometimes worth because I'll have the only one on Ebay, or it'll be OOAK / hand made and, as I said, obscure. Markdown manager helped me sell these items. When I'd run MM, I'd sell folk art / hand made goods / obscure and rare hard to find antiques, etc. that has been sitting in my store for YEARS because the sale would attract new people to look at my things, and I'd often have one single buyer buy 5+ items from me (many items that also are obscure and hard to sell) or so because they saw that I was running a sale and they looked through my other items and saw things that they liked.

I understand that some sellers raised prices and then put the items on "sale", creating the illusion of a discount, but we don't all do that. Plus, buyers always can do a quick search on Ebay and filter by lowest price to see.... who has the lowest price. Isn't that what the lowest price filter is for? To show buyers... the lowest price of that particular item? It's a search that takes a whole 30 seconds to do. If someone impulse bought an item simply because it was marked down on a sale and didn't take that 30 seconds to do a quick Ebay search, filtering by lowest price, then is it anyone else's fault that they didn't take that 30 seconds to do some quick research? Sure, jacking up prices and then running a sale is NOT cool. But no one forces anyone to buy anything. Buyers have free will, don't they? They choose what they buy.

Sellers should definitely have some more free will, too. Sigh...

Message 74 of 246
latest reply

It is hard enough to make sales during summer time but why is ebay actively punishing sellers?  Don't they know that if there is no seller, there is no buyer?

Even though I'm small time seller, I thinking about moving to another platform. What do they want from us? Ebay is becoming ridiculous. I have 100% positive (+200) in all my 4 subscription stores (2700 items)  and what do I get in return, I got penalized for not offering free return shipping. Since I'm not getting 10% discount, maybe I should increase handling time to 2 or 3 days. What is incentive for me (as a seller) to ship the item within 1 day? I'm doing all this work/service for nothing

Message 75 of 246
latest reply