cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay resolution Center unfair to sellers.

I listed an item on ebay that is at least 20  years old.  I listed it as  "mint" because it is.  Mint measn relatively  perfect  which is almost perfect, not perfect.  There was a small spot on which I never even saw.  Well the buyer said I misrepresented the item and I most certainly did not.  I have tried to appeal their ruling I can find no way to  appeal..  I am going to get off ebay because of this unfairness and never use it again.  If the appeals board had actually looked at the pictures they would have seen I did not misrepresent the item.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ebay resolution Center unfair to sellers.

@margarelariso_0

You can have up to 12 pictures. I'd use them, showing ALL angles: front, back, left side, right side, top, bottom. I won't touch on the description of being mint since many other posters have already done so.

I will say in cases of not as described, eBay can be unfair to sellers since they'll take the word of the buyer over the seller in the vast majority of cases.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@takikawa4

yes, I've learned my lesson on things like this...  it's really not fair how most sellers are done. This situation more than likely was legit. However It could have been handled without having eBay involved. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree. 😕

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Although I wish Ebay made it a condition that buyers approach the buyer first and wait at least 48 hrs for a repsonce before filing a case - we'll probably never see that happen.

Then you'll have sellers like I ran into this week. I requested a simple return for a leaky ink cartridge - making sure I didn't open a case but I can see how that happens as it's not as clear cut as it once was with the choices. The seller finally responded wanting me to open the item from the sealed package - clean it and see if it worked. I politely refused stating it would void my buyer protection as it would not then be in the condition in which it was sent - then they offered $5 for my trouble - but please try the item - again refused. They offered me $7 to close the request. The item was useless to me and a new one from another buyer had already set me back another $18. All I wanted to do was return a defective item.  It wasn't until I said I would get Ebay involved that I received the $2.77 return shipping label. If buyer's run into sellers like this - no wonder they jump the gun and open SNAD's withput contacting the seller.

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

Sorry but mint means perfect.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

I've seen sellers who list comics as NM, but further state that the pictures take precedence. Now, while I agree pics take precedence, I never, EVER affirm the condition of an item, instead stating that I am not a professional grader, and the condition is only my opinion.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Although I wish Ebay made it a condition that buyers approach the buyer first and wait at least 48 hrs for a repsonce before filing a case - we'll probably never see that happen.

Then you'll have sellers like I ran into this week. I requested a simple return for a leaky ink cartridge - making sure I didn't open a case but I can see how that happens as it's not as clear cut as it once was with the choices. The seller finally responded wanting me to open the item from the sealed package - clean it and see if it worked. I politely refused stating it would void my buyer protection as it would not then be in the condition in which it was sent - then they offered $5 for my trouble - but please try the item - again refused. They offered me $7 to close the request. The item was useless to me and a new one from another buyer had already set me back another $18. All I wanted to do was return a defective item.  It wasn't until I said I would get Ebay involved that I received the $2.77 return shipping label. If buyer's run into sellers like this - no wonder they jump the gun and open SNAD's withput contacting the seller.

@tunicaslot

I agree.  Also I think buyers now may not be aware of the unofficial rule of contacting the seller as a courtesy and may be more inclined to do things their way as opposed to those who have been on ebay a long time who will contact a seller before opening a case.  

I understand your frustration and no doubt situations like this can spur a buyer to go straight to a case, rather than waste more time and having to open one anyway. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@kitschy*loot wrote:

Mint condition means no flaws, nearly mint means there is some kind of small flaw to be expected. No matter what you put, a buyer can always disagree. Condition is subjective to many.

Sometimes I disagree condition is subjective. People will list books as very good or good condition when it has stains and dirt on the front cover, the back cover falling off, and enough stains on the pages to make you ill. 

@kitschy*loot

Have seen doll listings that state mint; the picture shows a doll with hair wildly flying in every direction, dirt, damage, missing shoes, etc., looks like something the dog used for tug of war.  

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

OP the purse is beautiful - I love Dooney but I never list anything as mint.

On Ebay - you underplay the condition so that buyers won't quibble about that little mark you missed and will be overjoyed they received such a wonderful item.   

You really need to put more in your description - color - material - dimensions - strap drop ect... Having a complete description would have gotten you more money.

Many serious buyers will pass that by as there wasn't enough information describing the item.

On Ebay - there really isn't a "No Return" policy except for exceptional sellers who know how to battle the system and few of us do - if you accept returns - you'd have a bigger buyer pool.

A lot of buyers steer away from listings with little information, no sizes or dimensions, a no return policy and reserves on item price.

You'll learn - it takes time and you have to read the boards because you will find invaluble information here. At least one of us has been in almost any scenerio a person can think of. Ebay is a learning in process - you get smarter the more you sell - or hopefully you will if you follow advice here!

I don't think it was the Dooney. She also described the Coach and Kate Spade bags as "mint" yet having been used, they probably aren't mint condition.

I suspect it's the Coach bag because the KS isn't "at least 20 years old." And if it's the Coach, without pictures of the interior and the creed, it's impossible to even know whether it's authentic!

If you're going to be selling handbags, there's a wealth of information on the fashion board.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Fashion/bd-p/fashion

BTW, the other Coach listing (ended early) if authentic isn't 25 years old. The creed isn't clear but I think it was made in 1997, so 20 years.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@takikawa4 wrote:

@margarelariso_0

You can have up to 12 pictures. I'd use them, showing ALL angles: front, back, left side, right side, top, bottom. I won't touch on the description of being mint since many other posters have already done so.

This is the best advice and the OP should take it to heart. When selling highly faked items, anything that can prove authenticity as well as show condition should be shown as well as described.

As a handbag seller (but it goes for anything), the best advice I ever received as to "describe as though there are no pictures and photograph as though there's no description."

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@takikawa4 wrote:

@margarelariso_0

This is the best advice and the OP should take it to heart. When selling highly faked items, anything that can prove authenticity as well as show condition should be shown as well as described.

As a handbag seller (but it goes for anything), the best advice I ever received as to "describe as though there are no pictures and photograph as though there's no description."

This is spot on. 

Some sellers think that if they state the true condition of an item, it won't sell.  So they overinflate their description with superlatives, or just don't address the question all, possibly thinking it was the buyer's responsibility to ask questions, and if they didn't, that's their problem. But the buyer is covered by the MBG.

Or they have a one sentence description stating what the item is, and please check all pictures and ask all questions.  Years ago, that meant if you still have a question after reading a very thorough listing.  Now it seems to mean that the seller absolves himself of the responsibility to write a description.  Buyers have stated they just pass these listings by.  

But the purpose of the description is not to overstate.  More problems are caused down the road for the seller by the unhappy buyer who feels mislead when they find the item they got does not match the description they read.  So the seller really doesn't want to miss damage, and should inspect the item closely, and state any damage because if you don't, you have no protection against the problems and extra expense you could incur, and you don't want that.

Stating mint when an item is not is almost a straight path to a case.  

Truly sorry.  Hope this helps.  

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

I have interpreted your post as "You are as tired of eBay as most of us are tired of our current president and his administration".  Just an analogy, not trying to bring politics into the discussion.  I understand your dilemma.  I have stopped selling any items of significance on eBay and rarely list anything except for a few low price items.   I can't imagine how supposed competent management could have screwed up eBay so badly.  From the many inferior product listings to the same mega-sellers listing the same items over and over, eBay has just became annoying!  If you did have the "pleasure" to discuss your situation with one of eBays customer service representatives, you probably became very annoyed because it seemed as if you were dealing with a six-year old reading a script.  As fun as eBay used to be, it is on its way out fast...at least from me!  

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

I love that perfectly placed and time sarchasm!  I was just about to post my own response to tunicaslot..."Written by a true eBay employee", but your response covers it all!  

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

If we're trying to be absolutely correct here regarding "mint", then the definition would include "no visible imperfections, scratches, etc."  Any item that has been handled is subject to friction regardless of how lightly the item is touched or handled.  As such, imperfections to the naked eye might not be visible, but will be visible under high magnification.  I believe the seller was looking for help in supporting the seller's decision to leave eBay rather than a word definition lesson.  So to the seller: "I support your decision to leave eBay.  This site has become very annoying and not worth the risk of being scammed by buyers with eBay deciding in the buyers' favor without ever contacting the sellers or considering the sellers' information to counter the buyers' accusations."

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@18704d wrote:

"...nearly mint means there is some kind of small flaw to be expected."

--------

fwiw,

"nearly mint" is Keyword Spamming.

It's either Mint, or it's Not.

Lynn

Unless it's "Minty" LOL

I HATE that word!

I love that perfectly placed and time sarchasm!  I was just about to post my own response to tunicaslot..."Written by a true eBay employee", but your response covers it all!  

Maybe I misunderstand your aim but that read that as pretty rude. People come here to voluntarily help and comparisons to Ebay employees are usually used as an insult. It's not nice to insult well-meaning volunteers, whether you agree with them or not.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply