cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay overstepping boundaries

While a lot of recent great changes have happened at eBay, I am still mad at the way eBay overstepped boundaries by deciding for sellers how to handle returns and refunds.

The vast variety of sellers on eBay, from kitchen table sellers to large corporate retail operations and everything in between, with an assortment of products even Amazon can't match, I strongly believe this one size fits all approach is a horrible decision.
While eBay certainly should run it's own business 100% the way management sees fit, as a marketplace facilitator, an online place connecting buyers with sellers, it is simply not eBay's place to decide how sellers should run their business.
In particular I am referring to taking away our choice as sellers to charge restocking yes/no. That should be our decision to make and not eBay's.  The explanation from eBay that supposedly it is not standard practice to charge restocking is laughable. It is and always has been standard practice .. just not all retailers have it.
Even for my own company (our brick store and several websites) I am not saying I always want to or should implement a restocking. I am saying it should be my choice as seller to communicate to buyers that yes or no, this particular item or this particular transaction carries a restocking.
It is supposed to be a free market  .. unless someone oversteps boundaries 🙂  and if fees are clearly displayed prior to purchase, buyer can decide to yes/no purchase from this vendor.

The way I see it, eBay is playing nice with our (sellers) money and is overstepping boundaries.

Are you reading these posts Mr Sweetnam?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Ebay overstepping boundaries

@bimm_corp wrote:

@monster-deals

Furthermore........

@cyclebitz

>The vast variety of sellers on eBay, from kitchen table sellers to large corporate retail operations and everything in between.

@atikovi

>Kitchen table sellers don't even belong on Ebay.

The original quote from cyclebitz can in no way be construed to mean sellers of kitchen tables. The range from small to large sellers is immediately apparent to any English-speaker whether on this side of the pond. old Blighty or any other nation with a large English conversant population to mean low-volume sellers, perhaps packaging sold items on their kitchen table.. The attempts to change the obvious context is ludicrous.

Au contraire, maybe a different choice of words would have been better to avoid confusion. As I said before, do a search on "kitchen table" and you get over 3,000 hits, many of actual kitchen tables. Do those kitchen table sellers know something I don't?

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

"The vast variety of sellers on eBay, from kitchen table sellers to large corporate retail operations and everything in between."

Well, then, does that mean that we should expect to find a lot of "large corporate retail operations" available for purchase on ebay, as well?  I wonder how many one would find if one did a search for that, too?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 47 of 55
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

"The vast variety of sellers on eBay, from kitchen table sellers to large corporate retail operations and everything in between."

Well, then, does that mean that we should expect to find a lot of "large corporate retail operations" available for purchase on ebay, as well?  I wonder how many one would find if one did a search for that, too?

Nope. "large corporate retail operations" are not items like kitchen tables are.

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Nope. "large corporate retail operations" are not items like kitchen tables are.

You mean .... they don't sell boardroom tables?  Not even the kind where the BOD's provide their own chairs? Or, even meeting or committee room tables?  Well, how about coffee tables for the break room?  I mean, a lot of stuff gets packaged on those tables.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 49 of 55
latest reply

Goodnight Gracie.

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

Ebay no longer lets you state that the buyer has to pay return shipping. It is now on the seller to pay both ways. 

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

You are  correct. I have experience this on several occasions.

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

@jthomasracing wrote:

Ebay no longer lets you state that the buyer has to pay return shipping. It is now on the seller to pay both ways. 

@jthomasracing 

That depends on your return policy.  For sellers that have a No Return policy or a 30-60 day return policy with buyer pays shipping, for those sellers a buyer pays return shipping if the buyer filed a proper Buyer's Remorse Return request.

Granted most return requests are INADs.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 53 of 55
latest reply

The problem is that how one seller acts affects every other seller, at least in some small way.  So, if a particular return policy is a major negative for buyers, eBay should encourage a change in seller approach.  

Message 54 of 55
latest reply

I have no clue what a kitchen table seller is. Do you mean big-box sellers like Best Buy  who deal in furniture? As far as restocking fees, those have been banned for years. Did you not see the announcement? All of this is very confusing. Seriously, selling kitchen tables is a “thing?”

Message 55 of 55
latest reply