cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay overstepping boundaries

While a lot of recent great changes have happened at eBay, I am still mad at the way eBay overstepped boundaries by deciding for sellers how to handle returns and refunds.

The vast variety of sellers on eBay, from kitchen table sellers to large corporate retail operations and everything in between, with an assortment of products even Amazon can't match, I strongly believe this one size fits all approach is a horrible decision.
While eBay certainly should run it's own business 100% the way management sees fit, as a marketplace facilitator, an online place connecting buyers with sellers, it is simply not eBay's place to decide how sellers should run their business.
In particular I am referring to taking away our choice as sellers to charge restocking yes/no. That should be our decision to make and not eBay's.  The explanation from eBay that supposedly it is not standard practice to charge restocking is laughable. It is and always has been standard practice .. just not all retailers have it.
Even for my own company (our brick store and several websites) I am not saying I always want to or should implement a restocking. I am saying it should be my choice as seller to communicate to buyers that yes or no, this particular item or this particular transaction carries a restocking.
It is supposed to be a free market  .. unless someone oversteps boundaries 🙂  and if fees are clearly displayed prior to purchase, buyer can decide to yes/no purchase from this vendor.

The way I see it, eBay is playing nice with our (sellers) money and is overstepping boundaries.

Are you reading these posts Mr Sweetnam?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Ebay overstepping boundaries

It seems like atikovi may have misunderstood something.  I believe he thought we were referring to sellers who are actually listing kitchen tables for sale on eBay.  

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

Even Amazon charges a restocking fee for some items.   I was hit with a fee and shipping for returning a heavy automotive part because I ordered the wrong one.  They gave me 75% of the item cost and I paid shipping back.

Message 32 of 55
latest reply

@soh.maryl

>It seems like atikovi may have misunderstood something. I believe he thought we were referring to sellers who are actually listing kitchen tables for sale on eBay. 

Yeah, sure!

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

What does "Yeah, sure" mean, exactly?

Message 34 of 55
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

What does "Yeah, sure" mean, exactly?

Incredulousness

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

Something appeared to be lost in translation?  

AAR, I took the remark to mean that little kitchen table (i.e., work from one's kitchen table) sellers do not belong here, not that kitchen tables, per se, were some kind of liability.

It reminds me of that old Dean Martin joke on his show (during the 'send in X box tops for a prize!') when he said that he had asked everyone to tear off the tops of their pianos and send them in for a prize...and a week later he received 138 piano tops.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 36 of 55
latest reply

asdbsir The B&M stores actually do have rental program for tools. Not the kind you were referring to either.

It used to be they would charge a deposit or hold your credit card number and not run it. If you brought the tool back in one piece, no charge.

Now you go to rent a tool you pay the full price on the tool and when your done and if you bring it back in one piece they refund you just like a return. I rented a puller a couple of weeks back and actually complained about it.  My argument was it shouldn't be called a tool rental when it was nothing more than a return like any other.

It's sad because I wasn't raised that way but the return thing for fraudulent reasons has become so commonplace people actually think it's ok.

Message 37 of 55
latest reply

@bimm_corp wrote:

@soh.maryl

>It seems like atikovi may have misunderstood something. I believe he thought we were referring to sellers who are actually listing kitchen tables for sale on eBay. 

Yeah, sure!

And why I said an item like that would belong on Craigslist not Ebay. Guess there is whole other lingo I'm not aware of that some people here seem to use. 

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

And BTW, do a search on "kitchen table" and you get over 3,000 hits, many of which are actual kitchen tables. DUH.

Message 39 of 55
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@cyclebitz wrote:

While eBay certainly should run it's own business 100% the way management sees fit, as a marketplace facilitator,

Ebay has not been a "facilitator" or a "venue" in over a decade as much as they try to get you believe that isn't the case.

Absolutely no idea what you mean by that. Unless you are just trying to be negative.
Ebay is by definition a marketplace facilitator. Facilitating transactions between buyers and sellers.

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

Best Buy certainly has restocking fees!  

Message 41 of 55
latest reply

@

>What does "Yeah, sure" mean, exactly?

@monster-deals

>Incredulousness

Thank you! (And I might add a "Ya gotta be kiddin' me!")

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Something appeared to be lost in translation?  

AAR, I took the remark to mean that little kitchen table (i.e., work from one's kitchen table) sellers do not belong here, not that kitchen tables, per se, were some kind of liability.

It reminds me of that old Dean Martin joke on his show (during the 'send in X box tops for a prize!') when he said that he had asked everyone to tear off the tops of their pianos and send them in for a prize...and a week later he received 138 piano tops.

Exactly. People whose first language is not English, or are from a different English-speaking country, fall into these traps, all the time. Example: in the U.K. they say, "he upset my apple-cart" when someone does something that interferes with the person's plans. Those familiar with the culture know what it means - while others who speak and write good English but are not from a certain country would believe that the person is really talking about an apple-cart. 

It is called an anglicism. Some people assume the worst in somebody, without asking astute questions and clarification, first. Looks like we are all on the edge. Hard times, economically...

PW🐿

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

@monster-deals

Furthermore........

@cyclebitz

>The vast variety of sellers on eBay, from kitchen table sellers to large corporate retail operations and everything in between.

@atikovi

>Kitchen table sellers don't even belong on Ebay.

The original quote from cyclebitz can in no way be construed to mean sellers of kitchen tables. The range from small to large sellers is immediately apparent to any English-speaker whether on this side of the pond. old Blighty or any other nation with a large English conversant population to mean low-volume sellers, perhaps packaging sold items on their kitchen table.. The attempts to change the obvious context is ludicrous.

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

We table-toppers, though, haven't a leg to stand on.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 45 of 55
latest reply