cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is slowly dying.

Ebay management isn't doing a good job at promoting ebay and advertising on other platforms.  We've been selling on Ebay for over 20 years.  Slowly it's dying and will soon be replaced by something else or taken over completely by Amazon.  Management has allowed it to die and are doing a crappy job of promotion.  

Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

Ebay is slowly dying.

Good riddance. Maybe the next company will hire agents who can speak and comprehend English.

Message 106 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

But the AI shouldn't decide that you weren't interested in any items on that first search if ALL you're doing is re-ordering the search.

That's the issue.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 107 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

@joliztoyco wrote:

I keep posting up Ebay's own numbers that show that in less than 4 years they have LOST close to 20% of their buyers and sellers.

Must be just a coincidence that it has happened at the same time as the promoted Listings scam?

Hardly a " thriving " business. 

We have absolutely lost both buyers and sellers.  We gained both during the pandemic and then likely lost many of them after the world started opening up again.

In case you were unaware, Promoted listings started in 2015.  The info below does not even hint at this being an issue.

Where did you get your numbers from.  It sure isn't what I see @joliztoyco .

Active sellers 2007 - 2022.jpgBuyers 2010-1st Q 2023.jpg

https://www.businessofapps.com/data/ebay-statistics/

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 108 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

it's because they dont do anything about scam sellers. one of the single biggest scammers in history is right here on ebay. they dont ship tens of thousands of merch every single year. and no matter what you do, even if you prove theyre operating 100 stores that are actively scamming ppl ebay will no do one single thing about it. i will bet cash i could get away with not shipping 200 items this year and ebay won't do anything about it

Message 109 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

now That I agree with!!

Message 110 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

Another Gaslight post where the Graph Clearly shows the facts and YOU tell everyone a pack of lies.

The Number in 2018 is 22.3

The Number in 2019 is 21.1

That's LESS!!!

Not a "We gained" like you say!

Oh ya...again I was back to One sale since Thursday and I see eBay has problems with payments... Again!

Message 111 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

For years the gaslighting worked but those days, much like the static e-commerce days, are coming to an end.   

Folks, you read it and hear it constantly, diversify, cross-post, be versatile.  We're entering frontier territory, and the coming days and years brings many unknowns.  

Message 112 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

ditto

Message 113 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

@jbjbgraphicsusa wrote:

it's because they dont do anything about scam sellers. one of the single biggest scammers in history is right here on ebay. they dont ship tens of thousands of merch every single year. and no matter what you do, even if you prove theyre operating 100 stores that are actively scamming ppl ebay will no do one single thing about it. i will bet cash i could get away with not shipping 200 items this year and ebay won't do anything about it

I'll take that bet...... Seller's are most definitely held accountable, buyers however have free range with the MBG.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 114 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

MATH is pretty simple, mam.
In the 4th quarter of 2018 Ebay had 179 million active users.
1st quarter of this year they had 133 million.
That's a drop of OVER 25%!!!
Those were potential buyers!!
That's huge.
And when "promoted final value fees" were first started, they were hardly a thing.
It wasn't until 2018 that they really started to push them.
And with Ebay's new idiotic "Halo" money grab on PL's, they pushed them again.
Right off a cliff...

Message 115 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

First of all Target showed growth last year. Ebay didn't. Targets sales went from 106 billion(2021) to 109 billion last year.
And since the beginning of 2019 Target has increased sales by 30 BILLION.
And since the beginning of 2019?
Ebay has LOST over 25% of it's active users.
Pretty sure "Target" and "Home Depot" didn't do that.
Gaslight all you want.
Ebay's troubles  go a lot deeper than the "economy".

Message 116 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

@jbjbgraphicsusa wrote:

Interesting allegations.  I would like to take a closer look at this seller.  You can't post their ID here, but if you are willing, you could send me a private message with their ID.

Message 117 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

I think the economy is "quickly" dying. That's more of a problem than most people realize. eBay will stick it out, it's still making bushels of cash, so it will probably adjust, but not die. 

Message 118 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

@gotta-have-it-collectables wrote:

Another Gaslight post where the Graph Clearly shows the facts and YOU tell everyone a pack of lies.

The Number in 2018 is 22.3

The Number in 2019 is 21.1

That's LESS!!!

Not a "We gained" like you say!

Oh ya...again I was back to One sale since Thursday and I see eBay has problems with payments... Again!

@jbjbgraphicsusa 

Excuse me!!!  You will have to show me where I said we have NOT been losing members, both buyers and sellers [except through the pandemic].  Seems to me that you need to look a bit closer at what I actually said and not what you assume I said.

I was responding to another poster that said "in less than 4 years they have LOST close to 20% of their buyers and sellers."  The graphs and link I posted clearly show that is NOT true.

What I said was "We have absolutely lost both buyers and sellers. We gained both during the pandemic and then likely lost many of them after the world started opening up again."   Just not the 20% that the other poster that I was addressing said.  So where you got what you posted from IDK.  It wasn't me that said it.

I don't mind if you quote me, just be accurate in what you have said.  Taking stuff OUT OF CONTEXT to make it appear as if I said something I didn't is just a way misrepresent what was actually said to further whatever it is you want to enhance.  It does not by any stretch of the imagination make it the truth.

Message 119 of 132
latest reply

Ebay is slowly dying.

Pandemic lead to an obvious rise and inflated the numbers and a drop off is only natural.

Economy isn't that solid, I'd expect buyers to hold onto their money so decreased buyer activity.

These all seem like expected outcomes for the days we're currently living in. No need to be panic. 🙂

Message 120 of 132
latest reply