cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay does nothing when a buyer refuses to pay sales tax & leaves neg feedback

Customer does not want to pay NY sales tax & is unwilling to cancel transaction. Also, does not want to pay for shipping. Left negative feedback. Says best offer was with the caveat of no tax or shipping. I am more then willing to cancel the transaction.

Called eBay CS twice this week concerning this matter, spent over two hours on the phone and was unable to resolve the problem. Told nothing can be done about feedback and eBay does not refund fees on cancelled transactions. Finally, eBay has been removing internal messages sent to me by the buyer.

BUYER:

Hello,

Thank you for accepting my offer; however, I did not receive the correct invoice. Per my Best Offer accepted for $150.00 with free shipping and no sales tax... ...please send the adjusted invoice for the $150.00 total cost and I can then promptly send payment through Pay-palmy response:

My response

Not aware your offer required free shipping and no tax. Willing to cancel order.

Hi,

I'm sorry, but there seems to be some confusion here. You accept my Best Offer for $150.00 with free shipping and no tax - per eBay policy for a legitimate, binding transaction. So, it's not making sense that you are trying to charge me for $21.00 more after the offer is accepted and listing ended.
my response: 
I contacted eBay customer service and Team Leadership supervisor in Utah stated it's against eBay policy to charge more money for any charges after the Best Offer and terms of it have been accepted by the seller. The supervisor suggested for good relations for the transaction that I could compromise and offer to pay the $7.00 for shipping with the $12.00 absorbed by you.

I'm willing to compromise. but not pay a significant $21.00 more when my Best Offer was properly accepted by you for a legit transaction.

my response:

Can not do free shipping and no tax.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay will react when the buyer has failed to pay once an unpaid item case has been opened and then closed. It's at that time any negative feedback will be removed. Until then, there is always the chance the buyer might pay, which will not void any feedback left.

Personally, since your asking price was $159.99 and their offer was only $10 less at $150, it would make sense they'd want to sweeten it with Free Shipping. (It looks to me, those stamps would fit in a legal size priority flat rate envelope for $6.05.) Most sellers would be thrilled to have an offer this close to asking. As for the sales tax, that is questionable, they should have just lowered their offer so it would basically include it.

Was $150 the lowest you were willing to accept for this? If not, I think you made a mountain out of a mole hill. Especially in this highly competitive climate, where sales are often few and far between. I see you've now relisted it via auction starting at $149.99 with $7.50 shipping. So if it sells for this amount, you've only gained the $7.50 shipping! Hardly worth all this trouble and hours worth of phone calls.

Good Luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 69 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

i would keep calling until you got a helpful csr. Shipping or state tax is never negotiable on a best offer.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 82
latest reply

I'm assuming the slimeball buyer added those "terms" into the notes box? Did you accept the offer on your phone?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 82
latest reply

There was a note on the BO form telling the buyer that shipping was NOT part of the offer. Does anyone know if is still there?

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

It seems the seller is now held to whatever 'terms' the buyer chooses to insert in the text box.

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
It seems the seller is now held to whatever 'terms' the buyer chooses to insert in the text box.

Are the "terms" visible on the phone app? I wouldn't know. I don't use best offer.

Message 6 of 82
latest reply

OP. I would just tell the buyer that shipping and tax are not included in the offer and DO NOT send a revised invoice. The buyer will either pay, request a cancellation or ignore the current invoice. If they ignore it file the UPI.

Message 7 of 82
latest reply

some of my favorite requests.

Please spread the 3 one ounce packets in the envelope so they weigh only one ounce for combined shipping.

or how about: my mailbox leaks please use a zip lock bag to protect the stamp I ordered.

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

We knew this was going to happen when they changed the wording.

Ebay recently changed the rules on Best Offers, telling sellers that when you accept one, you are accepting any terms the buyer has sent with the Best Offer.

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

This is true.   A VERY recent policy change that has been discussed on the Selling Board.

Message 11 of 82
latest reply

There is no need for all that back and forth.  Simply link the member to the help page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html

For listings in which the seller has a specified shipping cost, the buyer is responsible for the shipping costs stated in the listing, the Best Offer amount is made on the item cost only. For listings in which the shipping costs aren't specified, the buyer can choose to include shipping costs in their offer.

As far as the Tax issue, you have the person's name and address so you could refer that to their state taxing authority if you wanted to.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 12 of 82
latest reply

Your listing had a stated shipping cost of $14, so that's what they pay.  It can't be negotiated against your will.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

@chipper01work wrote:

There was a note on the BO form telling the buyer that shipping was NOT part of the offer. Does anyone know if is still there?

It is no longer there.

The listing in my screenshot has shipping calculated at $65.21

bestoffer.JPG

OP @chipper01work should file a UPI and be done with it.

How difficult is it for sellers to see the message part of a BO?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 14 of 82
latest reply

That said, I'm not sure the buyer can LEGALLY demand to be exempt from paying Sales Tax.

Message 15 of 82
latest reply