cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay WHAT Are You Thinking???

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is just a minor rant BUT while I was updating some of my listings today I noticed something on the righthand side of the screen next to my listing I've never seen before. It was a small advertisement to click on another seller's page and check them out!

Now what is alarming is this seller has only sold 5 LISTINGS and yet Ebay wants me to check them out? Why? What do they have that is so much better than what the customer is currently looking at? Do they even have what the customer needs? How much are they being Ebay to be placed in that spot? Are they paying Ebay at all or is Ebay just randomly selecting them to be there? ( It think not on that last question)

So I continued to scroll down just to see if I could find anything else like that in the listing. What I found was disgusting honestly. After two rows of "other seller's listings" a small sliver of page was giving to item details/description area THEN the rest of the page was filled with other listings until you reached the bottom.

Selling on another platform is looking more appealing everyday I log into Ebay. My question is WHY are you overloading the viewer/customer with so many options that only distract from what they are really looking for. Oh wait, I know... TO LINE YOUR POCKETS WITH MORE $$$ YOU DON'T DESERVE. Shameful Ebay.

First Listing example (Ad on righthand side of page)First Listing example (Ad on righthand side of page)Second Listing example (SAME EXACT PERSON on righthand side of page)Second Listing example (SAME EXACT PERSON on righthand side of page)Next is other listingsNext is other listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsAfter a short piece of the page for the item details, more listingsAfter a short piece of the page for the item details, more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand more listingsand FINALLY THE END OF THE PAGE.and FINALLY THE END OF THE PAGE.

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

That just means the seller has enough money to pay an ad rate. No one told you that you had to click the ad. You searched the seller's original item so you can decide to buy it or not right from that page. Hit the back button next time.

Message 2 of 91
latest reply

Ebay is the shortest term thinking company I know. They will do anything and everything for the fastest quickest cash grab possible whether or not it hurts sellers/buyers/or ebay in the long run.

These promoted listings are destroying the buyer and seller experience and driving our customers aaway or worse yet to bad sellers that are willing to give ebay promoted fees- even if they provide a substandard buying experience.

What puzzles me is that its is such a woke/ left leaning company in almost everything..... but when it comes to profit- they sell their soul for a dollar lol...... very hypocritical if you ask me.

Message 3 of 91
latest reply

WHY are you overloading the viewer/customer with so many options that only distract from what they are really looking for.

@Anonymous 

I would think that so much of eBay's income now  is from "promoted listings" as opposed to actual final value fees,  they have to stick those promoted products somewhere.  What better place than on a page of (other people's listings) like items to put them.  The more that sellers are convinced that they NEED to promote in order to be even be seen, the more those "rows" of other people's stuff will increase. 

As suggested,  for eBay it is a "short term" solution to other more serious problems.  Even Amazon has a discreet link to see "like items" or  provide more choices of same as opposed to STUFFING a seller's listing like this.  It used to be and is still said "you don't like it, leave"....  It is not that difficult to diversify now days.  Contrary to the popular spiel,  eBay is NOT the only place that has buyers and sales.  

Message 4 of 91
latest reply

They aren't selling their soul, they are selling our souls. 

Message 5 of 91
latest reply

Hi!

"That just means the seller has enough money to pay an ad rate."     CORRECTION:   It means people want to pay fror an add. There are many out there who have enough money, myself included, however we decide not to waste our money on adds😊🦃

Message 6 of 91
latest reply

@valueaddedresourse

Do you think this might be a beta test for the sponsored store ads ebay talked about ages ago?

Message 7 of 91
latest reply

It is getting pretty obsessive. Let's compare it to walking into a fast food restaurant and in the lobby a competing fast food restaurant is handing out free samples.

Message 8 of 91
latest reply

Ebay is the shortest term thinking company I know. They will do anything and everything for the fastest quickest cash grab possible whether or not it hurts sellers/buyers/or ebay in the long run.

These promoted listings are destroying the buyer and seller experience and driving our customers aaway or worse yet to bad sellers that are willing to give ebay promoted fees- even if they provide a substandard buying experience.

What puzzles me is that its is such a woke/ left leaning company in almost everything..... but when it comes to profit- they sell their soul for a dollar lol...... very hypocritical if you ask me.

I for one like those that utilize PL, which I do not, the revenue from the PL probably keeps eBay from increasing FVF's across the board. 

Message 9 of 91
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresourse

Do you think this might be a beta test for the sponsored store ads ebay talked about ages ago?

Good call @my-cottage-books-and-antiques ! I'm not 100% sure, but that does sound likely.

adsteam@ebay  - can you confirm if this is a beta test and if these are the ads for stores that VP Ads Alex Kazim was talking about in his presentation at Investor Day back in March?

Message 10 of 91
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakeland_music wrote:

They aren't selling their soul, they are selling our souls. 

My soul has never been for sale. Only GOD owns that.

Message 11 of 91
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dakotasnowshine wrote:

It is getting pretty obsessive. Let's compare it to walking into a fast food restaurant and in the lobby a competing fast food restaurant is handing out free samples.

BINGO! That's exactly what this is. And if anyone takes the time to really look at those images I attached, how many are the same exact listing? A lot!

Message 12 of 91
latest reply

Yes. Ebay loves to sabotage sellers. It makes no sense, but that is eBay. 

Message 13 of 91
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I for one like those that utilize PL, which I do not, the revenue from the PL probably keeps eBay from increasing FVF's across the board. 

But that brings up the questions also... if Ebay did not push Promoted Listings on other seller listing pages and instead had a higher final value fee, would the seller actually sell more items? I believe we would because buyers would find the item, like it, and buy it. Done deal. Now (IF) they get through the search results, they are being bombarded with all this mess on one item listing page. Poor things; I would give up and go somewhere else too. Like I don't know... Amazon maybe.

Message 14 of 91
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresourse

Good call @my-cottage-books-and-antiques ! I'm not 100% sure, but that does sound likely.

adsteam@ebay  - can you confirm if this is a beta test and if these are the ads for stores that VP Ads Alex Kazim was talking about in his presentation at Investor Day back in March?

YES, please expand on this as I did  not know anything about it and noticed the "Sponsored Store Ad" as well when I saw this. It certainly gave me the impression that Ebay had chosen this store to be highlighted, but why I don't know. All I can come up with is whoever pays the highest gets the most game on Ebay.

Message 15 of 91
latest reply