cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Refunds Buyer Who Still Has Item

Just happened to me today. as if managed payments was not bad enough! Prior with paypal i would get the money right after the sale. managed payments, now holds processing up to 3 days, then 3 days to my bank. no payments on weekends. so now here is what happened today.

buyer sent phone back to us, damaged and missing pieces, also had the google account tied to it, which means we can not reset the device. Get it documented through customer service  and send the phone back to buyer so buyer can fix and send back. do this all the time. USED TO! Had no issues until today. We thought, it gives the buyer a chance to fix the issue. they get the full refund. We get the phone back that we can reset and resell. The other way, would just hit them with 50% and throw phone in trash. if it has account locked to it. we can not reset it.

So buyer's item comes back. Missing pieces, the sim card try and missing charger. Also has google account locked to it. We send it back August 4th to buyer so they can fix and send back for full refund. Customer service documented this on the 4th and said no problem. let buyer fix issue and send phone back to us. 

Buyer calls and files a case today. Ebay gives them the 100 percent refund back, deducts from our paypal account. Buyer still had the phone!!!! so we are out 83 dollars and a phone. 

im getting off of here. been here since the first year ebay started.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay Refunds Buyer Who Still Has Item

I WON! I WON!... Ebay God was on my side overnight!!! LOL.....  I appealed with as much information as i possibly could put and repeated it 3 times. Woke up to a full refund!!

eBay Inc issued a $82.89 USD refund  

The money was refunded to your VISA x-2394. It may take a few days to appear on your statement.

Your refund summary Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx August 18, 2020 06:13:09 PDT Total purchase amount $82.89 USD  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Sad but true. The buyer doesn't have to fix issues... they just get a full refund. Sorry this is happening to you.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

"so now here is what happened today. buyer sent phone back to us, damaged and missing pieces, also had the google account tied to it, which means we can not reset the device. Get it documented through customer service and send the phone back to buyer so buyer can fix and send back. do this all the time. USED TO!

Buyer calls and files a case. Ebay gives them the 100 percent refund back, deducts from our paypal account. Buyer still had the phone!!!!"

--------

I don't understand.  Buyer still has the phone?

Did eBay see that the buyer, did actually send the phone back to you .. and then eBay refunded?

But you, by that time, had sent the phone back to the buyer ... to "fix"?

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I don't blame you, I haven't sold anything on eBay in 2 years.  I don't know how much longer this can go on like this. Nothing but seller horror stories everyday.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I have never seen a company treat the clients who make them money in such a horrible manner.  It has always been a disadvantage to sell products on Ebay but it is getting worse.  Now that they can make some interest profit on withholding payment to sellers expect them to hold your money for longer and longer periods of time.  I will buy no more inventory and leave ebay at the end of the year.  They are a despicable company to work with.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Ebay saw everything. As I make sure to have them document everything and i do to on shipstation. Buyer returns item August 4th. No box, missing sim card/volume rocker (its a combined sim card try and volume control), missing charger, google account locked to phone. 

August 4th, report to ebay of the missing items, damage. August 4th, told ebay i am sending it back so buyer can fix issue and will wait for buyer to send back item. They agreed per the chat transcript that this was OK. even gave them the tracking of the return now going back to customer. 

Today, August 17th, buyer calls ebay and files a case, not received refund. Even though ebay saw, the buyer did not furnish any tracking for the 2nd return back to us, with the issues fixed. KNOWING, the buyer still had the merchandise. They issued buyer 100 percent full refund. 

buyer will not answer my messages as to when they will be returning my property. I am thinking of going to local small claims court. pay the 35 dollar filing fee, even though i know i wont see that back. Suing the buyer for the 83.00 (not counting shipping etc). Win that. then see if he sends it back to me. 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

So after looking around for 20 more minutes. I did find the hidden option to appeal. Which i think is not going to do any good. Being that as soon as i saw the email message that they gave the buyer the refund. I went on chat and waited one full hour for them to connect to chat. Where they told me. Buyer gets full refund since we did not take immediate action when we received the return. Meaning we did not just simply issue a 50% refund. Which I feel is unfair, since a normal business not on ebay would give the customer a chance to fix what is wrong to get all of their money back. It is a win win for the customer and also the business. Customer is happy with 100 percent their money and business gets their property back in the original condition and can also resell if they so choose. 

Ebay's way, buyer gets 100 percent refund and also our item. SO of course they are happy. Leaving us, the business who makes ebay, or should i say, we pay ebay over 1200 dollars  a month for the pleasure of having them advertise our products. The buyer who in this case spends less than 200 a year on ebay makes out like bandit, pun intended. THey actually stole something from us.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

thank you! That was the truth. I need to start thinking that when i am considering what action to take when i get returns back. From now on. If customer sends something back that they can fix if i had sent it back to them. I am just going to give them the 50% deduction if it warrants it and then document the item as a loss for paperwork then toss the item in the trash or recycle it. 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@18704d 

The buyer returned the phone in unsaleable condition and the OP /seller sent it back to him and refused to refund.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@pageplusdealeronline wrote:
Buyer calls and files a case today. Ebay gives them the 100 percent refund back, deducts from our paypal account. Buyer still had the phone!!!! so we are out 83 dollars and a phone.

Where was the $83 before you listed the phone? So you didn't lose $83 -- it went back to the buyer, where it originally was.

August 4th, report to ebay of the missing items, damage. August 4th, told ebay i am sending it back so buyer can fix issue and will wait for buyer to send back item. They agreed per the chat transcript that this was OK. even gave them the tracking of the return now going back to customer.

Unfortunately, the buyer didn't ask to unlock the phone and return it again for a 100% refund -- you decided to send it back, essentially gifting it -- of your own violation, pun intended.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

You caused yourself way too many problems. Once the buyer filed a claim and showed he returned the phone, yes he gets a refund. Stop doing the practice in which you are doing. Ebay has no way to set up ship, return, ship return procedures. It's best to use you own website for doing such business. Phone conversation never go well as they say they keep track but that is not their business to follow every procedure you make. Live and learn.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

We are not the people who make them money.

eBay created its site based on the hard word of small time users and companies back in the day. eBay was not the first to think of images within listings, delayed listings, auction software and so on. eBay didn't even create its own API. eBay was even sued to stealing patents regarding online auctions.

eBay started to purge small time sellers years ago in favor of big box stores.

Those stores were dumped in favor of Chinese manufacturers. The stores were just middlemen. By dealing direct with Chinese companies, and thus the communist government of China, one can take advantage of their slave labor, environmental abuses, intellectual property theft and so on. Much less costly for eBay to deal with.

In the early days eBay was popular and everyone made fun of Amazon for always losing money. Yet what Amazon was doing was investing in infrastructure for long term growth. Not eBay! That is what happens when the only thing management is concerned about is obtaining their bonus pay regardless of the long term harm it causes to a company.

A monkey throwing darts to make decisions could have run the company better than Meg Whitman. Long time sellers warned HP not to hire her as she would ruin their company. Unlike her term at eBay she had no to ape at HP.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Ebay saw everything. As I make sure to have them document everything and i do to on shipstation. Buyer returns item August 4th. No box, missing sim card/volume rocker (its a combined sim card try and volume control), missing charger, google account locked to phone. 

Today, August 17th, buyer calls ebay and files a case, not received refund. Even though ebay saw, the buyer did not furnish any tracking for the 2nd return back to us, with the issues fixed. KNOWING, the buyer still had the merchandise. They issued buyer 100 percent full refund. 

buyer will not answer my messages as to when they will be returning my property. I am thinking of going to local small claims court. pay the 35 dollar filing fee, even though i know i wont see that back. Suing the buyer for the 83.00 (not counting shipping etc). Win that. then see if he sends it back to me. 

Tagging for clarification.

Is this something new or just something I've never read about before?  Why would Ebay have a buyer file an INAD and then immediately force the refund?  

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I'm torn between feeling bad and laughing hysterically.

I'm having difficulty believing this is the first time the MBG has tripped you up.

I mean seriously, sending an item BACK to the BUYER *AFTER* the buyer returned it?

Hello...

You have an open return case!!!

You don't have time to play games here, 5 days after tracking shows delivered is all you have.

Ebay even notifies the buyer how to proceed.

You own or run or work in a brick and mortar store, don't you?

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Tagging for clarification.

Is this something new or just something I've never read about before?  Why would Ebay have a buyer file an INAD and then immediately force the refund?  

No...

The buyer filed the INAD, RETURNED the item...

The seller RECEIVED it, believes it to not be in the correct working order so SENDS it BACK *TO* The Buyer (so the buyer can presumably "fix" it...)

The buyer of course escalated the case and won.

No need to call blues for this.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply