cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Refunds Buyer Who Still Has Item

Just happened to me today. as if managed payments was not bad enough! Prior with paypal i would get the money right after the sale. managed payments, now holds processing up to 3 days, then 3 days to my bank. no payments on weekends. so now here is what happened today.

buyer sent phone back to us, damaged and missing pieces, also had the google account tied to it, which means we can not reset the device. Get it documented through customer service  and send the phone back to buyer so buyer can fix and send back. do this all the time. USED TO! Had no issues until today. We thought, it gives the buyer a chance to fix the issue. they get the full refund. We get the phone back that we can reset and resell. The other way, would just hit them with 50% and throw phone in trash. if it has account locked to it. we can not reset it.

So buyer's item comes back. Missing pieces, the sim card try and missing charger. Also has google account locked to it. We send it back August 4th to buyer so they can fix and send back for full refund. Customer service documented this on the 4th and said no problem. let buyer fix issue and send phone back to us. 

Buyer calls and files a case today. Ebay gives them the 100 percent refund back, deducts from our paypal account. Buyer still had the phone!!!! so we are out 83 dollars and a phone. 

im getting off of here. been here since the first year ebay started.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ebay Refunds Buyer Who Still Has Item

That's some fancy logistics you got there. Send the phone back to seller, then send it back to buyer so they can fix some stuff, then send it back to seller again.

I think the answer is that ebay isn't set up to deal with that. Buyer returns an item and if they aren't refunded in a few days, it's game over.

I've read this kind of thing before, where a seller (quite logically) needs the buyer to do something that takes the return outside the bounds of ebay's existing system and whap! Buyer refunded, end of story.

I'm a little surprised this has worked out for you in the past. It's dangerous because it leaves you hanging out on a ledge with no recourse if the buyer wants to "ask ebay to step on" (I meant "in"...Freudian slip) or close out a case or whatever.

You seem quite indignant that this happened. I think I'm a little less surprised than you are. While it may be unfair and your "system" may work for you, I think the answer is that ebay deals with millions of transactions, and the more custom your solution, the less likely ebay is going to be able to manage it.

Posting ID
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I WON! I WON!... Ebay God was on my side overnight!!! LOL.....  I appealed with as much information as i possibly could put and repeated it 3 times. Woke up to a full refund!!

eBay Inc issued a $82.89 USD refund  

The money was refunded to your VISA x-2394. It may take a few days to appear on your statement.

Your refund summary Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx August 18, 2020 06:13:09 PDT Total purchase amount $82.89 USD  

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@pageplusdealeronline wrote:

I WON! I WON!... Ebay God was on my side overnight!!! LOL.....  I appealed with as much information as i possibly could put and repeated it 3 times. Woke up to a full refund!!

The money was refunded to your VISA x-2394. It may take a few days to appear on your statement.

Your refund summary Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx August 18, 2020 06:13:09 PDT Total purchase amount $82.89 USD  

lucky.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Ebay has no way to set up ship, return, ship return procedures. 

Of course they can. They already do.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@monster-deals 

Where did you get that info ?  That I know of Ebay has NEVER been set up for back and forth and back again. Either post a link or stop posting fake news. The OP got very lucky and found someone who felt sorry for him. My guess it was a curtesy refund.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@pageplusdealeronline I'm glad to hear that 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@monster-deals 

Where did you get that info ?  That I know of Ebay has NEVER been set up for back and forth and back again. Either post a link or stop posting fake news.

The OP got very lucky and found someone who felt sorry for him. My guess it was a curtesy refund.

eBay does, but it's very specific:

- Ship

- Return

- Ship again

- Possible return

If the seller shipped a replacement or exchange and the buyer has not shipped the original item back within 20 business days of the buyer starting the return, we charge the buyer's PayPal account for the replacement or exchange

7adj98d9dsa8oaids7.png

Yes, no guessing needed Re: phone missing SIM tray and locked to Google:

OP got: A courtesy refund

Buyer got: Away

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I stand amazed.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Thanks. Looks like the OP escaped a bad situation. Hopefully he learned a lesson and does not try that back and forth shipping anymore.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@monster-deals 

Where did you get that info ?  That I know of Ebay has NEVER been set up for back and forth and back again. Either post a link or stop posting fake news. The OP got very lucky and found someone who felt sorry for him. My guess it was a curtesy refund.

Being intentionally obtuse is what is "fake news".

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

The solution is to NOT accept returns. That forces the customer to communicate with you. Then you can "allow" a return under certain conditions - like unlocking the phone first, and returning all of the parts and literature.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply