cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Guarantee Fit ---- Can you opt-out ??

I sold a Brand new special sensor for an exotic car.  I have 2, but priced individually.  I know people don't read descriptions so I e-mailed the guy to make sure he wanted just 1  (they are recommended to be replaced in pairs).  It is revealed that his car is a 2006, but I know these sensors only fit 2009+ .   I say it won't work for your car, but initially he doesn't believe me and I seem to be accused of being 'out-of-stock' because eBay's Guarantee fit says it will fit his car.   So I send the part# and picture of the same type of part that would go in a 2006 and the issue is resolved.   BUT....  normally that would never have been caught before shipping to a buyer and they would have received it, opened the sealed brand new package to discover it doesn't fit.   SURE, eBay will supposedly cover the return shipping..... but now I'm out the 'Free' shipping cost and Now I have an expensive part that I can no longer sell as New in sealed packaging?   I'M SO GLAD THIS WAS CAUGHT but if their 'Guarantee Fit' program is so inaccurate is there any way to opt-out before thing do go wrong !!  ???

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ebay Guarantee Fit ---- Can you opt-out ??

Oh, forgot to mention.... additionally it puts a bad taste in his mouth because he gets the wrong part anyway.....  that's not good for eBay's reputation in general,  Right ???

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Best I can tell, you don't opt out....you sort of opt IN.
If you don't fill out the COMPATABILITY section for your parts, then you are not getting that green check mark that guarantees fit.

BUT, I agree, this guarantee fit thing is a VERY BAD IDEA.  
A seller must enter the right info. A buyer must fill out the correct info as well. 
And both of those happening.....Not likely.

Ebay seems to be trying to cater to the Big listers of new aftermarket, and big salvage yard/hollander listers.  But, still not going to work

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

One more point !

It's bad enough that buyers don't read and understand descriptions.

NOW they're being taught there's no need for it because of the Wonderful NEW Guaranteed Fit Program !!

NOW we have to put in our descriptions to address the fact that the New fitment program is not always correct, and to double-check anyway......... and HOPE THEY READ IT !!     Yikes

IS there an Opt - Out .... PLEASE  ??

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@stangbanger68 
 In order to be seen, you almost must fill out compatibilities (the best you can).
And, since most of us don't have Interchange Info readily available? Most of us are guessing. Thus, most are making mistakes.
BUT, you just about must do it to be seen, even if it's wrong.
AND, you are correct...
  My next move will be to add a disclaimer to my listings stating the Fitment isn't accurate.
I have NEVER needed a disclaimer.  But now I must add one for eBay, not me. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Anyone who's ever worked behind a retail auto parts counter will tell you what a dumb a$$ idea the Guarantee Fit program is.  Ebay has zero concept of what it takes to put the right part in someone's hands... especially the occasional do-it-yourselfer, a good percentage of whom don't know enough about what they're working on in the first place. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

eBay has an entity with 20 million?  30 million? 40 million? Maybe more.... Listings to keep happy. 
That's where the Guaranteed Fit (compatibilities) comes into play.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding

Message 8 of 8
latest reply