cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Decides to add best offer to my items. Very annoying.

When I have a 3.00 or 4.00 dollar item and ebay decides to add BEST OFFER makes me want to remove all of my items. I can not always remove it before a buyer makes offer then I am giving it away. I have to take time to remove the BEST OFFER. ANNOYING

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Ebay Decides to add best offer to my items. Very annoying.

You don't HAVE to accept ANY offer.

(and yes I agree it's beyond annoying eBay is doing this)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

A 3 or 4 dollar item REALLY makes it smell of desperaton.

Please be aware that some sellers are reporting that they remove Best Offer and it shows up again in the middle of the night.

Ebay should NOT be modifying running listings. Ever. Once sellers accept this Ebay may start changing prices and ending dates to get your listing more likely to sell. It may sell for far less than you want, but it will be more likely to sell.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

The point is that buyers are making good faith best offers to sellers they think want them. Unfortunately the sellers do not. Ebay is setting everyone up for failure. I'm not sure they even considered the implications of how bad this can go.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

You are right. Thanks for your response. Once Ebay controls my items and prices I will pull out.
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

The point is that buyers are making good faith best offers to sellers they think want them. Unfortunately the sellers do not. Ebay is setting everyone up for failure. I'm not sure they even considered the implications of how bad this can go.

Another 'throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks' move, without regards to consequences, other than making an extra few pennies.

Well, i beat eBay to the punch. All of my 'buy-it-now' items already have the 'make an offer' feature.

I used to hate that concept. To me, it seemed to create the atmosphere of eBay as being just an online tag sale or flea market. Kinda tacky as you know what.

However, i have found that it can be a useful tool to help boost sales when sales may need boosting. When a buyers sees the 'make an offer' option, he or she knows that you as the seller has some flexibility to work with. And perhaps your item was priced a tad too high as compared to others selling similar items. I have been there, done that.

For an item to sell quickly, the pricing should appear as a 'nobrainer' to the potential buyer, and also be visible, of course, to that right person at the right time.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

best, from what I've read they're also adding Best Offers to some auctions now. Nothing like thinking your selling price is going to go up and Ebay is suggesting to buyers that it should actually go down.

Oh and I don't think anyone is arguing your decision to use Best Offer. We just don't think it's ethical for Ebay to add it for you.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I agree with you, and I do use Best Offer on a lot of items, but I has to be my decision. I am selling antique literature for under $5.00 and Ebay wants to accept $1.50. Not worth my time taking pictures and posting.
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Exactly
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I know. I feel bad for the buyers, but not badly enough I'd lose money on an item to make them feel better.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

The postulated theory is that they want the FVFs, even if it's on a lower sale amount.  They'd rather have a smaller FVF than no FVF at all for unsold items.  They also don't want unsold items clogging up server space, which is why they have started this and the process of removing some items that go unsold for some months.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

It can also atagonize the buyer, who may not understand how a Best Offer works to start with.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

You are right. Now it seems it's all about Ebay making money instead of sellers.
Message 15 of 35
latest reply