cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Cuts Google Search funding Hurting Sellers while Raking it in with Promoted Listings

My business has dropped 40% in the last quarter....Why?  Because Ebay is sucking sellers dry by selling  them promoted listings on their own site instead of promoting on Google and Other search sites.   If you add 7-9% to Ebay and Paypal fees - you are paying $25% in commissions.  This is pure greed on Ebay's part.  If you read the article the execs are not concerned....our sales went down, but their profits went up.  

According to Ecommercebytes....
eBay's search traffic has reportedly fallen, according to a Wall Street analyst who cited third-party services. Mark May of Citi said eBay's reported decline in search traffic could be related to a recent Google update.

May communicated the news in a report previewing eBay's second-quarter earnings release set for tomorrow (July 17th). 

May might have been referring to last month's "diversity" update, about which Google wrote "This site diversity change means that you usually won't see more than two listings from the same site in our top results. However, we may still show more than two in cases where our systems determine it's especially relevant to do so for a particular search..."

Citi's May also discussed a concern about eBay's pullback on marketing and incentives, which we wrote about in April when we reported that eBay's top executives admitted they expected a first quarter decline caused by their decision to significantly reduce marketing activities.

Today, May indicated the decline in eBay's marketing budget continued in the second quarter (April, May, and June). He also noted the reduction in buyer subsidies - readers will likely remember all the sitewide flash sales eBay ran in 2018, where it was basically paying visitors to buy goods.

But while less traffic due to reduced marketing and poorer rankings in Google is devastating news from a seller's point of view, it's not so bad from an investor standpoint - May noted that eBay increased its take-rate "and enabled revenue to grow faster than GMV" (sales).

In today's report, May didn't mention revenue eBay generates from sellers running Promoted Listing ads, which is an obvious byproduct of slower sales growth as sellers battle each other for eyeballs. In fact, in April, when eBay reported a 6% decline in GMV in the US, eBay CEO Devin Wenig told analysts that its own 4% revenue *growth* was partly driven by Promoted Listings - he said sellers were "flocking" to Promoted Listings.

Nor did May mention another good-for-eBay but bad-for-sellers item related to managed payments. Yesterday we wrote about eBay's surprise "per-listing" payment processing fee that will start in October.

We don't know if eBay executives will address the reported Google search problem during Wednesday's call and what they propose to do about it. But if eBay expects sellers to pay for Promoted Listing Ads to get more exposure, shouldn't eBay increase its spend on Google Shopping ads to get greater exposure if it can't do it organically?

Mary
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ebay Cuts Google Search funding Hurting Sellers while Raking it in with Promoted Listings

Very few Ebay users search google to find an item on Ebay. I doubt that is what caused your 40% drop in sales.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Ebay Cuts Google Search funding Hurting Sellers while Raking it in with Promoted Listings

@coolections wrote:

Very few Ebay users search google to find an item on Ebay. I doubt that is what caused your 40% drop in sales.

More and more ebay users are searching google to find items on ebay. eBay's own search engine shows you less than google, even without ebay paying.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

More and more ebay users are searching google to find items on ebay. eBay's own search engine shows you less than google, even without ebay paying.

Customers have told us they can't find our items on eBay from time to time (despite seeing that we have a lot of stock earlier in the day), and in that case they have better luck finding our items on Google than eBay.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

If I want to see if an item is listed on Ebay, I go to Google first.

I can search Google and find what I'm looking for on Ebay, then use the same search on Ebay, and find nothing.

Ebay needs to realize, not everyone is looking for the cheap Chinese junk that shows up in every search, no matter what you search for.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Numbers don't lie....its not just me....Over all sales are down while Ebay profits are up....
Mary
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Every Ebay CS in merchant support that I have talked to has gone on record to say that Ebay reports that over 60% of all site-wide sales originate through a direct google search and NOT on the platform.  That is why they tell us to optimize our listings to google format. 

Your post always seem to be 100% pro ebay so please check your facts- call ebay - they will tell you

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Im hoping that Cool will help teach us what to do to make it work well again instead of just imply we all are doing it wrong. Never any guidance. <shrug>
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I think you are correct ... all of the causes of the problem point back to eBay, the many mistakes they've made, and the many mistakes they continue to make in 2019.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I believe you may be correct. I can recall when sales were much more up than they are now that you could find many of my items in a Google search. It was actually fantastic. Now, hardly any. Much of the extra cash for Ebay is being generated by promoted listings and when it gets in full swing the managed payment. Much of what is going on is to please the stockholders. Money should be spent on advertising and getting items seen on the search engines. Guess that wont happen for a bit for now. Bummer.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Remember what they taught us so many years ago online, "Don't feed the trolls".

I search through Google now too. Guess I am not 'most people' ;-0
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

False.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
Im hoping that Cool will help teach us what to do to make it work well again instead of just imply we all are doing it wrong. Never any guidance. <shrug>

As I am a Guide here, I will try to guide us.  Smiley Indifferent

Let's all see if we can use some Star Wars Jedi Mind Control, to make things work better here.  Together we can Use the Force ...

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Raising fees while reducing exposure is a negative feedback loop. Your going to get desperate sellers get rid of existing inventory, and an early boost, but those same sellers are going to wash out on thin margins. You can only find so many items for a fraction of retail to resell. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Your own post says Google thinks the cause is their new diversity algorithm. This reminds me of the Google Panda update where traffic was messed up until the algorithm was tweaked.

So this apparently doesn't all lie at the feet of Ebay. 

Meanwhile as a buyer I hate promoted listings and will not buy from them.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply