cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay using previous sales money to pay for shipping. Not right.

EBay always finds a way to drag their feet on payouts. I'm sure they've been doing this awhile, but it's really annoying. Whenever I sell two items in a day or two, they take out the shipping for the second item from the funds from the first sale. That reduces the payout for the first item and gives them another two to five days to pay me the total they owe me. Seems sleazy to me. That was a seperate sale and that money should be sent as a payout. Not a huge deal, but I don't remember them doing that in the past. EBay will always find a way to make a seller feel like they're being played...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: EBay using previous sales money to pay for shipping. Not right.

If you ship a lot of stuff, it is worth it to ship through a 3rd party instead. Pirateship will have similar pricing to eBay for UPS and USPS, plus you can use a cashback or rewards card to pay Pirateship. This way, you benefit from shipping instead of eBay.

The way eBay treats sellers, you should be doing everything possible to cut off any unnecessary ways eBay profits from your selling here.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You can pay for the shipping on via Paypal or via your stored funds in eBay. There is a button to select it when you buy the label. It defaults to whatever it was let set to. It also lets you use funds that are currently 'processing' to buy labels, doesn't have to be 'available' funds. Personally I see that as plus. 

Anyway, if you want to pay for the label separately, you can. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If you ship a lot of stuff, it is worth it to ship through a 3rd party instead. Pirateship will have similar pricing to eBay for UPS and USPS, plus you can use a cashback or rewards card to pay Pirateship. This way, you benefit from shipping instead of eBay.

The way eBay treats sellers, you should be doing everything possible to cut off any unnecessary ways eBay profits from your selling here.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@freebirdtim wrote:

"...they take out the shipping for the second item from the funds from the first sale..."

"they" don't take anything out. You do.

If you don't want your 'payout' reduced, pay for your shipping from your own source (CC or Paypal)...

(I think they are doing some sellers a favor by allowing "pending" funds to cover shipping costs before the funds are transmitted to the seller)

Your customer paid for the shipping (in most cases), so, technically, the money is not even yours to begin with......

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you have the funds avaliable, they've always taken any fees or shipping from them first.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Of course, the money for shipping is mine! What a stupid reply! It sure doesn't belong to eBay. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You have $100 sitting in your ebay account from a previous sale. 

You need to come up with $10 for shipping for a new sale.

You're upset that ebay deducts the funds in your ebay account lessening your payout by $10?

You would rather pay for it using  some other method and lessen that method by $10?

I'm not a math genius but aren't you out $10 either way?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

You have $100 sitting in your ebay account from a previous sale. 

You need to come up with $10 for shipping for a new sale.

You're upset that ebay deducts the funds in your ebay account lessening your payout by $10?

You would rather pay for it using  some other method and lessen that method by $10?

I'm not a math genius but aren't you out $10 either way?

Exactly-- it makes no difference whether you pay that $10 from your pending funds, your credit card, or your bank account. You're still paying $10 for shipping regardless of the source of that money.  I'm truly not understanding the complaint here.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

my...the hostility...

my analogy is simply that we are the middlemen in the shipping function of the sale (just like sales tax)

the total sale consists of:

The Item: You receive all the proceeds for this line...(after fees) we are the primary

(money in ----> Out to our account)

Shipping: The carrier receives the proceeds of this line.. we are just the middleman

(money in ---> out to USPS, UPS, DHL, FedX)

Sales Tax: The Gov gets all the proceeds of this line..we are just the middleman....

(money in ---> out to State Authority)

Someone has to pay for the shipping when you buy the label....and that someone is you

you can pay with the funds being processed from the sale, you can pay from Paypal or your credit card. You can pay at Pirateship, Shipstation, The Post Office, UPS Store....what difference does it make where you pay it from?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Buying shipping through pending funds has been a huge convenience for me. I have to pay shipping somehow . It's quick and easy to buy and print a label right after the sale without even leaving the site.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The way around what upsets you is to back up a day on buying your label. Buy it after you receive your payout in the morning!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply