cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay refunded a buyer after he opened a $100 pack and then he claimed it was damaged

Buyer claimed damage to a wax pack AFTER he opened it.  EBay allowed buyer to return item to me which was now worthless to me as an unopened pack.  Charged me full price of pack plus cost to return.  It looks like EBay allows a buyer to open a pack and if they aren’t happy with contents, claim it was damaged and return for a full refund.  Not fair to seller at all!!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: EBay refunded a buyer after he opened a $100 pack and then he claimed it was damaged

Even if the seller says no returns, EBay still allows a return

----------------------------------------------

That is correct, as "no returns" only applies to "remorse" returns.

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

Re: EBay refunded a buyer after he opened a $100 pack and then he claimed it was damaged

Buyer admitted opening pack, sent me photos  and then claimed damage.  Buyer Should never have opened pack if it was damaged , which it wasn’t .

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

"Which it wasnt"

The only evidence of this is from a bias party.

They claim that isn't true, and due to consumer protection laws their word is more meaningful than a sellers.

This is normal for all marketplaces.

EBay does provide some protection to mitigate the loss.

Two policies that can allow the seller to deduct upto 50% of refund for loss due to altered condition.

1 policy is part of TRS and required 30 day returns.

1 policy is for all sellers above average that offer 30 day FREE returns.

In order to use this policy you have to accept the return and have them ship it back. Then you report buyer for altered condition and refund with deduction.

If you refuse return or don't handle things accordingly and eBay gets asked to step in then the ability to deduct from the refund will be removed and a full refund will be due.

If the buyer complains about the deduction to eBay then eBay has the option to pay the part that was deducted from eBays pocket.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

I handled this according to EBay policy and got 0  in return from EBay.  They refunded the money to buyer, charged me and said case closed!  No further discussion changed anything. 

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

More looking into the actual details may be required.

The system doesn't allow them to ask eBay to step in right away. I believe it's 3 days.

You must issue a free return label to prevent them from asking eBay to step in.

I have not once experienced eBay stepping in if a return label is in the system and its waiting on buyer to return.

Once returned seller has 2 days to inspect. I would recommend doing it as soon as delivered.

If time passes eBay will step in and issue full refund.

If you contest the return due to altered condition they will most likely get a full refund.

Since it became a 'case' then they will get a full refund.

You have to do everything by the book to prevent a case.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

If a buyer opens a pack and finds the item to be damaged inside; how are they supposed to know that without opening it first? Manufacturing damage does occur sometimes even on new items, in those cases the innocent buyer would still be seen as trying to run a scam by the seller. If eBay didn't allow them to return a buyer could be out their money.

In many cases the buyer is actually lying and trying to get over, but that's not always the case and CS doesn't know when it is and when it isn't.  

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

That’s why it’s a gamble to sell unopened packs.  What if it had been a $200 or more factory sealed pack.  A dishonest buyer could get a full refund after opening the pack and seeing what was inside and not happy with the cards in the pack. Taking it a step further, he could replace good cards with commons.  That is why EBay should forbid returns on altered or open packs.  

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

Say eBay does ban the returns do you think that solves the problem?

No, they will just do chargebacks.

Chargebacks for most financial institutions to the best of my knowledge don't require return and will issue automatic full refund.

Paypal is probably most seller friendly as they make buyers pay for return shipping with INAD and won't refund until delivered.

Ebays return options allows to decrease INAD chargebacks that helps sellers actually get back their property before refunds.

On top of that the abusive buyer deductions.

Without eBays return you will almost always be out of all the money and item everytime.

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

@lobster4 wrote:

That’s why it’s a gamble to sell unopened packs.  What if it had been a $200 or more factory sealed pack.  A dishonest buyer could get a full refund after opening the pack and seeing what was inside and not happy with the cards in the pack. Taking it a step further, he could replace good cards with commons.  That is why EBay should forbid returns on altered or open packs.  

OR sellers should not sell such high priced items with such a potential to be scammed, on ANY internet marketplace that uses CC's to take payment. Had this been a cash, face to face sale, there would be no forced return. They also would not have sold for as much money either. 

Sellers need to mitigate their OWN risks. You are selling under the same terms as any other seller here. If you don't want that to happen again, you need to asses the risks of all of your products and decide whish are best to sell online, and which are not. Personally, I would never have sold something like that here to begin with. I also do not sell precious metals, coins and currency, or any high value items here. I mitigate my own risks. You didn't and probably learned a lesson. This was not eBay singling you out, they are the same rules that apply to everyone. You got the same treatment the rest of us get. 

That was fun, huh?

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@lobster4 wrote:

and here we go with the wild wild west eBay of days gone by.

Bad seller (not you) lists "unopened" pack.

Bad seller (not you) takes out the good stuff.

Bad seller (not you) ships the pack to the buyer.

Buyer can not return the item because ..................  not allowed. 

No going to work.

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

@lobster4 wrote:

That’s why it’s a gamble to sell unopened packs.  

It's a gamble to sell ANYTHING on ebay.

All the buyer has to do is make a false claim.

Sellers should understand this.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 26 of 46
latest reply

Wouldn't they have to open the packs to check for any damage to the cards?

Have a great day
Message 27 of 46
latest reply

@lobster4 wrote:

If they did that, they would have to do it with any item, which they won't do.

Have a great day
Message 28 of 46
latest reply

It’s like scratching a lottery ticket and it’s not a winner and wanting a refund.  The value is in the unscratched ticket or a tightly sealed pack.  Scratched lottery ticket, no value…opened pack EBay allows to return….No value and seller loses

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

Buying a pack of unopened cards is no different then buying a new electric razor, then finding out it's damaged after you open the package.

You have to open the package to find any damage.

Have a great day
Message 30 of 46
latest reply