cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay has changed the packing slip

The new packing slip no longer allows you to include your own message.  You can choose from one of eBay's pre-written messages, or you can choose no message.  You cannot edit or add to their pre-written messages.  

Over the years, eBay has tried to make the sales process as uniform, standardized, and impersonal as possible.  I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve by taking away our ability to include our own message.  

This is not an improvement.  Yes, I know I could handwrite something, or take the time to copy and paste all the information to create my own packing slip, but this shouldn't be necessary.  I wish that eBay would allow us a few options in how we choose to do business.  

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Now that you've posted the workaround, I suppose eBay will take that away.  😞 

Message 16 of 83
latest reply

Yes.  We are finding that the new packing slip cuts off the quantity.  We did find that if you print the new packing slip at 50% size it fits the quantity onto the sheet.  Unfortunately, it is illegible at that size.

Message 17 of 83
latest reply

baxterbog I print within Chrome, and that allows me to reset the margins....maybe that would work for you?
Message 18 of 83
latest reply

Since I had to mail out a large number of items using the new packing slips (I was holding out to see if eBay would change it back... lol, what was I thinking) I just realized the new slips do not include the STATE in the buyers address.   I mail out a large number of basketball cards each day using white envelopes, so now I have to search each zip code to make sure I have the correct state in the address.  (sorry eBay, I haven't memorized each zip code and what state it is in).  This is really infuriating.  Thanks eBay!  You are hurting the very sellers who make you money.

Message 19 of 83
latest reply

There was a very good suggestion by @buyin4less in another thread on this topic. 

"All of us need to use the feedback link on the shipping page on the bottom left. These message boards get ignored more often than not."

Message 20 of 83
latest reply

First they took out the item price and shipping cost.

And I had to print a separate invoice, because the BUYER SHOULD SEE WHAT THEY PAID.

So I started a workaround, opening 2 windows and making a single screen copy of the "incomplete" packing slip, with the 2nd screen showing the the order information and pics of the actual listing image, and printing that as my packing slip.

Now, they have taken out my thank you note (which often included info on how to take care of original cartoon art), and they're showing the new packing slip so small on the screen I can't take a screen grab of that to print.

So now I'll have to hand copy ALL the info for every sale on a separate page, taking screen grabs of a pic of the item. 

i'm not a big seller, but it's a lot of work just to get back to what ebay already had set up years ago.

every time ebay hires someone new, they come in and change something just to prove they're working. 

after 20 years on ebay, i'm finally ready to leave

Message 21 of 83
latest reply

I just printed two labels for packages.  The packing slips did not include the buyer's name and address or the shipper's name and address.

One of the main reasons I use packing slips is to match the item to the mailing label in order to avoid mixups.  Another reason is in case anything happens to the outer packaging or mailing label.  Now that they've removed the buyer's name and address and the shipper's name and address, the packing slip is useless.  

And the canned messages (with exclamation points!) in quotes are childish. 

Message 22 of 83
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Why shouldn't I be able to add my own message?

Why should ebay make it easy for people to add their own website/other sales venue to the packing slip for an ebay sale? 

That's easy to do in any number of ways.  I think it's an attempt at further uniformity and branding attempts, similar to Amazon and lately Etsy.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 83
latest reply

@emerald_door wrote:

I just printed two labels for packages.  The packing slips did not include the buyer's name and address or the shipper's name and address.

One of the main reasons I use packing slips is to match the item to the mailing label in order to avoid mixups.  Another reason is in case anything happens to the outer packaging or mailing label.  Now that they've removed the buyer's name and address and the shipper's name and address, the packing slip is useless.  

And the canned messages (with exclamation points!) in quotes are childish. 

Exactly, had to go to paypal to print packing slips to get the addresses and my thank you note. I also attach them to the item for the same reason. Had USPS tear up a padded envelope and it was the packing slip inside the bubble wrap that got it delivered to the buyer.

As to those canned messages, apparently it is too much to get a simple professional : Thank You for your Purchase.  When I got to this one I just shook my head and closed the window and went to paypal to print:

Thanks for your purchase! I hope your item is received in the same condition which it was packed and shipped. Do enjoy!

lisa5768
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 24 of 83
latest reply

I didn't notice anything missing.

Maybe because the print was too dang small.

1/4 page sized packing slip my old, tired eyes could barely read.

Message 25 of 83
latest reply

This MAY (just) be okay for a seller who packs and ships one item a day, but for someone who ships many parcels daily (often of identical items) it's a freaking nightmare.
Message 26 of 83
latest reply

Another ebay glitch. Every month, there's a new glitch here. The new packing slip will NOT print at all. I can change the details and message, save it, but IT WILL NOT PRINT. It doesn't even open the print preview window. The old packing slip worked fine, why does eBay always screw things up like this?

Message 27 of 83
latest reply

Thank you for this! The new packing slip won't even print for me, this old way is working!

"

To go back to the former style of the packaging slip that allows a personal message -- 

• (through seller hub) go to "orders"  ,
  • scroll down to "shipping labels" ,
  • find that particular label, select "more actions"   
  •  select " print packing slip". "
Message 28 of 83
latest reply

Better half's packing slip has the name/address of buyer and seller, but no state, plus the Qty 1 added....

I notice mine has the Qty 1 added, still have the full addresses

@Anonymous 

tests/glitches/what?

various configurations are being reported.....and of course, we have no idea what's going on......

I'd like to add a protest about the Qty 1.........I often sell 2 or more items in one listing....i.e. 2 sizes of casserole dish.......is the buyer going to think I'm only mailing 1?  I fear that is going to lead to confusion.  I, as a seller, understand it means 1 listing (I  presume).........

Message 29 of 83
latest reply

Just printed one that doesn't have my state or the buyer's address at all. Did this change from this yesterday? What is going on here?

Message 30 of 83
latest reply