cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY sent a warning message that was innaccurate while lecturing ME about MY listing!

EBAY sent a warning message that was innaccurate while lecturing ME about MY listing!

ebay states in the message that they removed "FEATHER" from my title, but they removed the listing! And what is wrong with the word "FEATHER"?  It is not just an object--it is a VERB and DESCRIPTIVE TERM as I state "FEATHER LIKE" in title.

"Please understand that you used the unrelated keywords "FEATHER" in the title and/or description of the listing. Hence, we removed "FEATHER" from your listing #title and/or description#. As you may list other items on our site, please be sure that only keywords that are directly related to the item should be included in the listing. Keywords can generally be defined as product names, item conditions, generic style/model terms, materials that an item is made from or other much searched words. Unrelated keywords affect search results and may lead to a poor buying and searching experience on eBay.

Please make sure that your current and future listings follow these guidelines. If they don't, they'll be removed, and your fees won't be refunded. It could also result in additional actions, including loss of buying and selling privileges on eBay."

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: EBAY sent a warning message that was innaccurate while lecturing ME about MY listing!

I guess we can't say that an item is like a Ferrari if it's not a Ferrari, and we can't say it's like a feather if it's not a feather. And you can't explain the difference to the bots.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Re: EBAY sent a warning message that was innaccurate while lecturing ME about MY listing!

This has raised more questions than provide answers by customer service reps I spoke with. I need to speak with the dept. that pulled it.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

I think the problem is the word "Like"

If its not a feather you cant say its saying something  "like" it.

Stupid I know but thats the rules.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

"Like" used to be the proper way to list. You said "I think" the problem is.... That's my point. You don'tknow for sure.

This has raised more questions than anything else. The customer service rep and supervisor I spoke with could not determine the reason either. Maybe because a feather is on an animal--maybe because I also put in "long leaves".

The fact is that there is no good answer.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

I agree, I think the problem is the word like.  That can be considered keyword manipulation as it brings up that item to those that want the true item.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

I would think that they consider it keyword spamming since anyone who searches for 'feather' will see your listing even though it isn't actual feathers. Since you used the word 'like' I'm assuming that it isn't a feather.  That's my take on it anyway.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

The other posters are right. It's the word "like".

Either it's a feather, or it's not. "Feather like" is keyword spamming.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

"Like" used to be the proper way to list. You said "I think" the problem is.... That's my point. You don'tknow for sure.

Without seeing the rest of the listing but going by the message you received from ebay, it's the word "like."

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Ebay's site, eBay's rules. Please be careful about relisting and do pay attention to the warning. If you get banned, there is not much anyone can do to help you. It is very rare that  eBay will do that. Well, I have been here forever and never received such a warning. Some words do trigger automatic reviews. Feather could fall in the sexual words that trigger reviews. 

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Yes, the word "like" is problematic. Ebay doesn't want it in the listing Title because it can be used to manipulate search as in "like new" when someone lists a used item, but wants to get the attention of buyers looking for new items. Or "like Coach" when it wasn't a Coach purse, but it is 'similar' (as in unbranded and not legit) but the seller is hoping buyers will focus on the 'Coach' part. Those may not be the best examples, but it gives the general idea. That practice was picking up speed, at least in the categories I search. Some sellers were using it basically as a go-around. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the bots just caught that part of your wording and sent the warning because of it.

I know it can feel personal when you don't think in a manipulative way, but Ebay can't make allowance for the honest sellers like you, due to the dishonest sellers that will run with it for all they're worth. So don't take it too personally. It happened to me once (using it in the same descriptive way) and Ebay did indeed state it was because of the word 'like'. So you can't say your item is feather-like if it's not actually a feather Smiley Wink 

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

The same thing applies to the word, not.  You would see many listings that used that, since it would then bring the item up for those that really did want what that item was not.

For example, NOT DISNEY.  Those that only want DISNEY are going to see the non Disney item as well.  I realize the OP is upset and frustrated but as others have said, Ebay's rules that they expect to be followed.

OP, it's YOUR listing, but it is THEIR site!

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Use feathery not feather like
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Now that's a good thought.

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

Ive been here since 1999. Like has always been keyword spamming. It was harder for eBay to catch violators back then. I remember when sellers used to sell pottery barn candles with everything to try to cheat the rules. It was horrible forbuyers.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply