cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SLOW Holiday sales

Just wondering if sales have picked up for anyone else now that EBAY's big box stores had their Christmas selling season at the expense of EBAY's smaller sellers.  There is sure a difference in my sales today.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: EBAY SLOW Holiday sales

Yesterday my views picked up. I got TWO!????? woweeee. They must have turned me back on, because seriously, we had no views the last two weeks but the bots. I doubt I will put up with this much longer. Its getting beyond ridiculous.  Hope things stay better for you. Its been a bad holiday season.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I had about 1/3 the amount of sales in December as usual but I actually had a sale today. Not surprising for me as most of my items are used.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

My sales have been on a steady upward trend all year and have already exceeded last year’s sales..

Maybe it is just a matter of selling what the big box stores do not sell. Less competition that way.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@tackyt65 wrote:

Just wondering if sales have picked up for anyone else now that EBAY's big box stores had their Christmas selling season at the expense of EBAY's smaller sellers.  There is sure a difference in my sales today.

I have been around here for a long time,  and just never had big sales at Christmas.  I have come not to expect it.   I used to sell antiques and collectibles, - same thing.  I just have a study amount of sales all year, pretty much.  There was a discussion before on this board about Ebay having a set amount a each dealer can sell?, - if you start to go over it they sort of send ya off into Never Never Land?  From my experience  I think  that is true, - based on how much in your inventory.  I used to have a bigger inventory and my sales were more.  I am working on getting back to what my inventory used to be before I moved. 

"It is unreasonable to attempt to reason with the unreasonable."
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@clothescloseouts4u wrote:

@tackyt65 wrote:

I have been around here for a long time,  and just never had big sales at Christmas.  I have come not to expect it.   I used to sell antiques and collectibles, - same thing.  I just have a study amount of sales all year, pretty much.  There was a discussion before on this board about Ebay having a set amount a each dealer can sell?, - if you start to go over it they sort of send ya off into Never Never Land?  From my experience  I think  that is true, - based on how much in your inventory.  I used to have a bigger inventory and my sales were more.  I am working on getting back to what my inventory used to be before I moved. 

I have another theory, that ebay shuts down your sales  if you have sold a few items and have not posted shipping/tracking.  I think they are afraid, you might get overwhelmed so stop you from getting more sales.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

fortys-tech-n-stuff wrote:

I have another theory, that ebay shuts down your sales  if you have sold a few items and have not posted shipping/tracking.

*****IF**** that was true then wouldn’t your decline in sales be your own fault for not complying with the rules?

ALSO

clothescloseouts4u wrote:

There was a discussion before on this board about Ebay having a set amount a each dealer can sell?

****IF**** that was true then why do some of us have constantly increasing sales?

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

EBay was slow but other venue made up for ebay slowness
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

My sales all year have increased.  November was $1k above ly and my December is about even with a week to go.  Pretty happy with thinks

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@fortys-tech-n-stuff wrote:

@tackyt65 wrote:

I have another theory, that ebay shuts down your sales  if you have sold a few items and have not posted shipping/tracking.  I think they are afraid, you might get overwhelmed so stop you from getting more sales.

I doubt that. I've be unindated with sales and they keep happening for hours sometimes even when I'm AFK.

And when the lights are off, I haven't sold anything for days, so no reason to keep the lights out for that reason.

I think we just like to come up with theories on why we aren't selling stuff, best to try and work towards solutions than blame eBay's search engine.

Cheers, C.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

I have another theory, that ebay shuts down your sales  if you have sold a few items and have not posted shipping/tracking.

*****IF**** that was true then wouldn’t your decline in sales be your own fault for not complying with the rules?

ALSO

There was a discussion before on this board about Ebay having a set amount a each dealer can sell?

****IF**** that was true then why do some of us have constantly increasing sales?

I don't know, - maybe you are great at what you do and some of us just suck at Ebay.  Just saying what I have noticed and others, too.  
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

ALSO

I don't know, - maybe you are great at what you do and some of us just suck at Ebay.  Just saying what I have noticed and others, too.  

It's genre specific, some things do well at different times of the year. My hot season in Jan to March. I don't do great with Christmas because my customers are off buying gifts for their children and grandchildren and don't have extra money for their coin collection. I abandonned the idea of selling in December and had family time for me instead.

There are things going on with eBay that we can't explain... maybe it has to do with the searches, maybe the customers, maybe the competitors. You all need to research, research, research what it is you're doing to figure out what's going wrong.

I used to have a table at a market selling jewellery for six years, and my sales started to tank, so I cut prices, I sold the same number of things, then had even less money. Not sure I ever did figure it out, if it was the fake jewellery sellers that had a table beside mine, or if everyone in my city was tired of buying what I sold and my merchandise was stale from being the same kind of stuff year after year. What I did figure out, was that being at that market was costing me more than I could afford and wasting my time. I dumped the market and decided to come here and sell something different for a while. Change is good.

I use my down time from selling to do more listing, or analyse my stats and try to improve. If you just put items up for GTC and leave them there, they will get stale and move further down on the search. (Albeit that is a very minimum amount of work, it's not a very proactive way to fight in a very competitive marketplace).

Cheers, C.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Down from last year most definitely. 0 today.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

ALSO

It's genre specific, some things do well at different times of the year. My hot season in Jan to March. I don't do great with Christmas because my customers are off buying gifts for their children and grandchildren and don't have extra money for their coin collection. I abandonned the idea of selling in December and had family time for me instead.

There are things going on with eBay that we can't explain... maybe it has to do with the searches, maybe the customers, maybe the competitors. You all need to research, research, research what it is you're doing to figure out what's going wrong.

I used to have a table at a market selling jewellery for six years, and my sales started to tank, so I cut prices, I sold the same number of things, then had even less money. Not sure I ever did figure it out, if it was the fake jewellery sellers that had a table beside mine, or if everyone in my city was tired of buying what I sold and my merchandise was stale from being the same kind of stuff year after year. What I did figure out, was that being at that market was costing me more than I could afford and wasting my time. I dumped the market and decided to come here and sell something different for a while. Change is good.

I use my down time from selling to do more listing, or analyse my stats and try to improve. If you just put items up for GTC and leave them there, they will get stale and move further down on the search. (Albeit that is a very minimum amount of work, it's not a very proactive way to fight in a very competitive marketplace).

Cheers, C.

Sounds like you are doing great!!

Merry Christmas

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

My sales have been on a steady upward trend all year and have already exceeded last year’s sales..

Maybe it is just a matter of selling what the big box stores do not sell. Less competition that way.

you're proof that with the right products, money come be made on ebay...

10000 listings, going? that is impressive...

your sales are even more impressive...

letoulousain
Message 15 of 25
latest reply