cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SLOW Holiday sales

Just wondering if sales have picked up for anyone else now that EBAY's big box stores had their Christmas selling season at the expense of EBAY's smaller sellers.  There is sure a difference in my sales today.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: EBAY SLOW Holiday sales

@clothescloseouts4u wrote:

Sounds like you are doing great!!

Merry Christmas

I'm not boasting, just trying to provide helpful insight as to why things are the way they are.

eBay is OK, but doesn't pay the bills, and there's more than just me who wants to profit from my sales (like the BM store & my business partner). I do work full time during the week and use my vacation days to work on my eBay stuff.

Every time I log in, there's a new thread about "no sales" but no one discusses how to change that. I learnt at the market that you cannot make the competition go away just because of their unfair advantages of selling fakes and convincing customers they are genuine (like all that fake silver my competition sold).

Cheers, C.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

i, like you, try to stay on the positive side.

back in May 2014, i shot myself in the foot.

i was mad at some ebay changes, took down my inventory and set up at the fleamarket.

what a mistake!...

had i thought about it, reinvented myself, change things; i wouldn't be in the situation i am in right now.

since last November i am trying to rebuild the business i had.

i am a small seller but in 2013/14 my sales were from $1500 to $3000 monthly.

i live frugally and it paid the bills.

and that's without the help of food stamps and other government help.

i am too proud to even apply for anything even though i would qualify easy.

the poster Richard1rst.... is proof money can be made on ebay.

another poster (on another thread) was telling us, sales were good.

this poster is selling coloring books.

it is again proof that the product 1 sells, matters.

it is also the way sellers go about it.

not that long ago a poster being suspended for a duplicate had a thread going.

she was selling clothing and doing excellent (well until the suspension).

some sellers do good with clothing and some don't...

go figure....

my December has been my best month since last November.

i hope i can duplicate that and do even better in January.

what i need to do is stay positive and list more new items every month.

on some days i sell 10 items and then i go for days with no sales.

i just can't let it get to me and keep on doing what i am doing.

i'd wish i would have been in that state of mind back in May 2014.

letoulousain
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

You have to work 24/7 on building your business. It is difficult, but man can it be rewarding. 

Dont let your listings get stale and always check competitors. See what works and what doesn't. eBay works. 

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

No one will know what has actually sold until the return policy has expired & the transaction is offically complete.   Thats a Cold Hard Fact..

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@grayirongolf wrote:

No one will know what has actually sold until the return policy has expired & the transaction is offically complete.   Thats a Cold Hard Fact..

While it's true the period for claims with Paypal is 180 days, you cannot let this policy hold you hostage. I generally accept if 45 days pass without a complaint of SNAD or INR, the sale is fine, or when they leave FB (or message) to say everything is fine.

You will get jerks who wait until day 121 when tracking is gone, but they are an extreme minority, and I'd guess most sellers only come across a couple such buyers in their selling career (which may vary pending on what you sell).

In the event I do run across such a customer, there's a cushion in paypal to cover such a situation, that remains in my account as I withdraw my sales. The cushion amount also varies by seller pending on what you sell and how much your typical sale is for. For me, I figure $60-100 is fair.

Cheers, C.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

I never expect sales in December, and even close down during the month without a second thought, because my used books, dress and knitting patterns, postage stamps and postcards are not 'giftable'.

And today I had six fast sales, more than usual for December, so my customers are now spending their Christmas money and Chanukkah gelt.

I fully expect this to last until March, when I will see the summer drop off which will last until September.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Just to let you know I have had great sales in the last 4 months since I changed my selling from 90% auction to 95% buy it now and free shipping.  my ave monthly sales are $1,300 before I changed my monthly sales were around 400.00 to 500.00.  I had 2 sales Christmas eve and 1 Sale Christmas and 3 sales yesterday.  I only do this part time so I am happy.  If EBAY had better customer service I would be over joyed.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@nhfd4976 wrote:

Just to let you know I have had great sales in the last 4 months since I changed my selling from 90% auction to 95% buy it now and free shipping.  my ave monthly sales are $1,300 before I changed my monthly sales were around 400.00 to 500.00.  I had 2 sales Christmas eve and 1 Sale Christmas and 3 sales yesterday.  I only do this part time so I am happy.  If EBAY had better customer service I would be over joyed.

I did auctions in 2013, only auctions, but the items fetched some pretty good prices (some completely unexpected good surprises too). I had to go to BIN because people only want to pay half of what I want to get at an auction, but in a BIN situation, someone willing to pay the price will often come along and buy.

I booked off two days each in Jan/Feb/Mar to do a thorough store comb and find stuff to list. And I think I'm going to find some time, I hope, to photograph the toys in the spare bedroom and list them. I am not expecting much, but better pictures of the lego sets may help sales. No work today in Canada, I could get started on that... but I procrastinate. I hate taking pictures. The only job that's worse is working at the store and dipping silver. Even the dust bunnies on the shelves are more plesant than whatever that dip has.

Cheers, C.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I have had **bleep** for sales. 1st of the year I am looking into Amozon!! Had it with eBay!!!

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 25 of 25
latest reply