cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY CHARGES SELLING FEES ON SALES TAX 2022

Selling fee should only be on the selling price as in 12.55% of item sold amount selling price + the $0.30 fixed order fee.

NOTE: eBay is charging the seller when items are sold, the EXTRA ON TOP selling fee of 12.55% on the tax amount they collect from the Buyer.

Thus, eBay is making 12.55 % on the tax they are collecting to thew seller.

Most sealers like me are selling items at a lost, just to get rid of items,

The Shipping sometimes cost more that what we seller are making on one item!

This is so Unfair in so many ways and SHOULD BE ILLEGAL on so many points.

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Re: EBAY CHARGES SELLING FEES ON SALES TAX 2022

Agreed. This is bull**bleep** & should be illegal.

Message 136 of 195
latest reply

Jack...  I agree with you...

it is really sad that eBay is throwing their weight around. I think they should not be able to charge us (the seller fee.. except on the selling price of the item) and not on the combination of the item selling price and  tax they collected on the transaction.  The tax should be a one time charge collected at the state, county or federal level and sent to the states comptroller or the Federal Government.  The sellers fee should only be targeting the items (selling price) and not charged on the total transaction.

(selling price + the tax collected)  x  (seller fee percentage)   -  the current method / kind of unethical (my option)

the fair method in my opinion is two separate lines 

item selling price  x  seller fee  =  fee collected from seller   (that is fare ebay has to make money..)

item selling price  x  state, county or federal tax  =  tax collected  -  (turned over to the state comptroller or federal government)

I think maybe the tax they are collecting is a federal tax at a set rate (same for all online transactions regardless of the state the purchase originated in )

I have not looked in to this so I'm not sure the facts...

On our company website we only collect tax in Texas as we are in Texas and we collect at the county rate of our business location we sell throughout the US but we don't sell over $100,000 in any one state so we don't collect state tax outside of Texas...  (When I first caught what they (eBay was doing) my thought was how do I know the tax rate being collected as you have no way to predict the future location of the sale) so my profit spreadsheets were gone to be off..  so they charge a set federal rate. I can't remember what I calculated at the time..   so it might be that eBay being so large has a set federal rate that over rides the local state laws and there must be a loop hole that lets them calculated the tax and the seller fee together..  and they don't distribute to the states but to the federal government and then the fed's maybe give it back to the state.. ?  (kind of off the subject) Like I said I'm to busy to go reading on all this ..  but I still feel eBay should not charge us a seller fee on the amount of tax that is collected.  To me that is kind of dirty.. like I said it must be legal for them but a good company with ethical principles really should help their seller's out and not just nickel and dime them because they can.  Its that word called "Greed"  unfortunately I don't really believe we have any way to challenge it other than selling on a competitors site.  I just wanted you to know your not alone on how you feel about the topic.

eBay has found another way to put a little more change in their pocket and a loop hole I'm guessing.  If it was not legal I would find it hard to believe they would do it as a class action suite would cost them millions. 

Message 137 of 195
latest reply

This is incredible.  Taking an exorbitant cut of the final sales price of the item should be sufficient.   

the taxing authority charges the tax and eBay views this as an opportunity to apply a fee to the seller again! 

In surprises there are not ethics or legal violations here. The closed at one prices. 
Government adds a tax however this is outside of the auction transaction but it is treated like the seller realized an artificially inflated proceeds by including the taxes applied as part of the final sale price!! 

How come more folks aren’t watching this scam.  When a $200 sale nets you about $150 at the end of the day, you really need to think about eBay business practices.  

The hidden greed in the fees is overwhelming 

Message 138 of 195
latest reply

Called a rep got nothing but doubletalk. He actually suggested to have the buyer call their state franchise board about it. 

It's not just the fees, it's the way eBay makes it difficult for any person without a degree in accounting to understand exactly how they are doing this. 

Bottom line is just divide your final payment for the item sold by your selling price including shipping and the customers tax (total sale figure) to see the ACTUAL percentage eBay collects from the seller. It averages 17 to 18%.  

They charge less for musical instruments because Reverb (musical gear and accessories pro audio etc) was taking away all that business and charging only 5%. Google it holmes!

Message 139 of 195
latest reply

ALL payment processors charge a fee on the total amount the buyer pays.

Places like Walmart and your gas station also pay fees on taxes collected.

This is not new.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 140 of 195
latest reply

Yes every one pays a payment processing fee, but the point is it is only 3 percent.  Ebay charges four times that, plus gets payment from each state for doing the collecting as well.  

Message 141 of 195
latest reply

For those of you making light of this. I just sold an engine on here and had to pay ebay $46 to collect sales tax. That's absurd no matter how you swing it. It's not a couple bucks or spare change when its higher dollar items. It's nothing more than greed but I guess that's just how it is.

Message 142 of 195
latest reply

My only issue with that Is, and what people seem to over look is the double taxing for shipping

Ebay tries thru site navigation to get you to use their shipping, "Pay for Labels" I chose not to use theirs

Shipping because it is inaccurate at times and requires some inconvenience if you don't have access to a scale, their site navigation gets you stuck in a loop hole when buyer selects specific shipping and say "Buyer Paid For XVYZ".

I went to the UPS store shipped my own package, paid the Tax There along with In-store service charge and still Ebay collects tax on a product they neither ship nor handle, because they factor in the shipping to final value. 

Bottom line is Ebay wants that Tax Sur Charge on shipping, they want a cut of everything

Banking, Shipping, Tax Collecting basically every aspect of the transaction Ebay wants a cut on top of what  ever institution you use to provide the actual service charges. 

I'm sure their working on a way to collect tax on local pick ups "Charge you a percent for filling up your own car with gas on top of what you pay the gas station".

If they could collect Tolls on the way there they would.

Message 143 of 195
latest reply

not to many bright people in here!

Message 144 of 195
latest reply

yes!! I feel that same way as they inflating the "Total  Amount" to collect more fees. 

Message 145 of 195
latest reply

Zombie Thread and identical to 100's of other postings.

Message 146 of 195
latest reply

Agreed, egregious fees.   

I need to find an alternative, net proceeds are very poor.

Message 147 of 195
latest reply

Actually the tax is sent to the taxing authority governing the registered address of the selller - for a change IRS is not involved.

Message 148 of 195
latest reply

Zombie Thread, OP is 6 months old and just like 100's of other similar postings. 

Message 149 of 195
latest reply

Why ebay is charging me sooo much every time? Item $20 + shipping $16 and i got as a result $27 😕😕😕 it is much more than 12%

Pure robbery! 

Message 150 of 195
latest reply