cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic promoted listings is just another MONEY GRAB.

You give up control of promotions & they raise it to the roof. All the while acting like they are doing you a favor.

They pretend to help sellers and instead, suck them dry.

Don't even get me started on the PAY PER CLICK disaster. Don't even try it, you might find your bank account emptied one day.

Come on ebay.......get it together, don't you have enough money as it is?

I guess more and more is never enough.

How greedy and so sad...

And yes your management should be ashamed!!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Feel free not to use dynamic promoted listings, then, or PPC.

Problem solved.

ETA: I sure don't promote everything.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

As with pay per click, use a cap so YOU control how high it goes 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thing is, if the trending rate was based on anything real, you would see it go up AND down, like stock market prices, like gold spot prices, etc.  That's what they wanted you to picture when they chose the word "dynamic."   But I have never, and I mean NE-VER seen the trending rate go down on a single item that I promote via Standard (and I promote all of them).  So the last thing I would do is let a rate-setting bot "believe" what the trend-reporting bot is "reporting," with BOTH of them geared toward maximizing ebay profits for shareholders.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

But then why wouldn't you just use PLS and set your personal cap as THE rate for each item?  You don't seriously believe the so-called trending rate is actually going to ever go DOWN below your set rate, do you?  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

yes, I seriously do believe that, having seen it happen. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@bodhi_tree_media ,

No one says you have to use promoted listings much less promoted listings with dynamic pricing. I know a few fulltime sellers of sports cards that have used promoted listings with dynamic pricing and their bank accounts are not empty. 

One of them loves it because he is too busy with packing and listing new items to watch suggested ad rates and adjust them every day. He prefers it to be automated.

If you are a control freak then anything automated is not for you. While I don't use promoted listings  with dynamic pricing I put as many things in my life on auto pilot when possible. I have ALL of my bills on auto payment from my bank account. I don't have to worry when when I go on vacation that my mortgage payment or any other one of my many other bills were paid or not. Its been that way for more than 20 years and I've never had anyone take more money than they are entitled to.     

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I promote at 2%.  I doubt it will go below that.  Money grab.  Absolutely!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I suspect many of those who say things like "I'd never use dynamic pricing" haven't taken the time to understand the ability to cap and the ability to set a percentage over---or UNDER---the daily rate.

And....many think in terms of 2 or 3% as their flat rate. Nothing wrong with that, and if your flat rate is low enough, then dynamic doesn't offer much. But they don't consider that there ARE sellers who have sufficient margins to go with, say, a 20% cap....and for those sellers, that will mean nothing will sell above 20%, and some things will sell BELOW 20%. Whereas, if you choose a 20% fixed rate, ALL your PLS sales will be at 20%.

In other words, this provides convenience, AND it can also provide savings for sellers who use a pretty high cap.

And as you've noted, there are sellers using this and they are getting more sales AND making a profit.

As I've said many times, it all depends on your margins and your business model. 

The basic rule hasn't changed: you make your money when you buy, not when you sell.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply