cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing a partial refund? First time seller.

Don't really know how to handle this but I want to do right by the buyer.  I recently sold a bitcoin ASIC miner, provided working video after the sale, apparently is was briefly working upon delivery but now it's not.  According to him, he thinks it's the power supply.  We've been going back and forth on text and email.  He's being great about it but still, I feel horrible about this even though I clearly stated no refunds or anything like that due to how fragile these things are.  Would it be right to offer a partial refund for the amount that a power supply would cost?  This is the first item I've sold on ebay.  

Link to item sold - https://www.ebay.com/itm/165167749792

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Doing a partial refund? First time seller.

@stinkywea 

Has the buyer filed an INAD?

If they have, you either accept the return and pay return shipping or refund the buyer and let them keep it.

If they haven't, you can try a partial refund, but that won't stop them from filling for a full refund.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I had an electric grandfather type clock that always seemed to work for awhile then not. After trying to fix it again, the repair person said I better put it on a surge suppressor to solve the problem since power surges could affect the mechanism.

Maybe that would be an answer for these items as well.

As for doing a partial refund, I cannot advise.  That is your call.  But you have no real idea of how the buyer used it or whether he damaged it during the time it was working.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It looks really bad to buyers when you say that the item is sold as-is. That makes it sound as if you're knowingly hiding something about it's condition.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"Would it be right to offer a partial refund for the amount that a power supply would cost?"

@stinkywea 

I'm no fan of issuing partial refunds, but I'll tell you how to do it. Go to your Seller Hub/Orders/Paid and shipped. Find the order in question, and using the blue drop-down menu to the left, select 'Send refund'. When the page loads, enter the amount of your partial refund, confirm and submit.

Since you're new, know that FVFs are not credited on a partial refund. And, as Ken mentions... issuing a partial refund doesn't mean you're done refunding, if the buyer decides to open a Return. Good luck.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Information you need;

NO returns does not equal NO REFUNDS.

Choice really is to return for refund,

or let them keep the item and refund.

Of course you can try the partial refund.

Such items by the way are scammer bait; get free items from sellers or get a partial refund on a good item...

and so on...

That said good luck.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

if you describe the defects and list "as is" with no refunds or returns you would not be hiding anything about the condition.  I've listed camera items this way and have never had a problem.   As long as you are honest in your description you shouldn't run into any problems.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If you look at crypto currency miners (ASIC miners) they are pretty fragile in general.  I would be willing to say 95% of listings involved say the same thing.  These things come from China originally and live a hard life.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Again, as I said, I sent a video after the sale w/date and time showing the ASIC working properly.  The buyer says that it worked properly for 10+ minutes.  These things also run on 220V power, not 120, so plugging into a surge protector won't work.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply