cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the *groveling for a sale* thing work for you?

And by that I mean, sending a watcher of ones listing, a lesser price offer; And to be sure, call it what you will, but in my opinion, that IS, groveling.... and I don't think it has ever panned out for me. I think that 80% (if not more) of my watchers, are chronic watchers, for various reasons.  And by the same token, as a warcher, I don't think I've ever accepted a seller's offer)  So back to my  original question, how many times has sending a watcher an offer, resulted in a sale for you?

Message 1 of 179
latest reply
178 REPLIES 178

Re: Does the *groveling for a sale* thing work for you?

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

What some might call a "tourist trap" I might call heaven...nothing like leaving the great white north in winter and getting off a plane and having that heat hit my face, that sunshine, that music, those fresh vegetables with twice as much flavor as ours, those smiling faces whether trying to sell me something or not...this "rich?" American says please transport me to that "tourist trap"! 

Also, I think you're reacting to someone else's comment about "tourist traps" and "rich Americans", as did I.

I am, what someone else may claim is a tourist trap or "rich" Americans, both comments seem condescending.

Message 136 of 179
latest reply

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

@dubiousgain wrote:

I guess it's all about synonyms  or in this case,  possibly pseudo synonyms. But look at all of the threads this post has generated,

That's likely the truth. Had you used a word steeped in repose, you would not have received half the response. Using the term groveling is an anthima to most sellers, I would imagine; Ergo that innate defense mechanism kicks in. A defense is best served, when it serves oneself.

I have a pretty good vocabulary, but you had me googling that one...

The definition of an anathema is a person or thing who is detested or hated. 

Message 137 of 179
latest reply

I did try that method of selling and oddly enough it worked for me. All be it, I did offer an awful hefty discount.

Message 138 of 179
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:.

I have a pretty good vocabulary, but you had me googling that one...

The definition of an anathema is a person or thing who is detested or hated. 

So, are you being censorious? As I did use "ananthema"(cursed voice to text) correctly. That terminology, groveling, IS [obviously] disliked/hated.

Message 139 of 179
latest reply

@dubiousgain   Good thread and topic and while I only read your OP and no other replies I have kept an eye on the thread's growth.  My view on sending Watchers offers is simple, it is another way to drive prices down which I do not condone.  I do not use Best Offer nor do I send Watchers offers.  I have watched trends in the number of watchers on various items and in some instances they are an indicator on whether or not an item will sell.   My preferred method of sale for higher priced items (relative to what I sell) is Auction style where the starting price would be the same price I would use on a Fixed Priced GTC listing so 1 bid and I make my profit, more bids and profit goes up.  Last weekend with a Monday holiday I had a highly watched item end Sunday.  I knew if I relisted for another 7 day auction it would most likely sell the following weekend.  I think Watchers on collectibles are patient thinking if an item does not sell the Seller will lower the price BUT if someone else bids they will bid too because they want the item.  I also seldom use the BIN option ... so what I did to help encourage the more interested Watchers Relist for 1 day instead of 7 and added the BIN ... I got a bid within 6 hours ... and I believe the thought process for the Buyer(s) was they didn't want someone else to come along and snag it for 30% more so they placed their bid.  It sold on one bid which was fine with me because that's a profit number.  I've done this on more than one occasion and sometimes the item actually winds up bidding OVER the BIN price.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 140 of 179
latest reply

That actually sounds like a very viable strategy.

Message 141 of 179
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I've been a 'poor American' wandering in some pretty obscure places and people have still have offered me things for sale, hawking it to me just as they do the locals passing by.  One man did so was selling produce and we ended up chatting in the shade, and he played me some of the local music on his boom box - I was down in the Caribbean.  Small villages, no tourist traps.

Generally speaking, if you're anywhere south of the border and look "American," the vendors see dollar signs. Most of the world considers Americans to be rich, mainly due to exchange rate, because they do not understand at all how much it costs to live here. 

I live in a city chock-full-o immigrants and several that I've known that have been here a couple years have commented that they really had no idea how little money say $12 or $15/hr is in the US because back in their home countries that's pretty much megabucks income. In other words, many move here seeking "the American Dream" and by their country's standards those salaries are very high so they think they'll be "rolling it in" when they get here - to a rude awakening on arrival. 

If you live in an urban area of the US, $45K/yr is just getting by, nevermind if you have kids or a spouse who doesn't work. 

You can go to a bar in Mexico and get a happy hour Modelo for 15 pesos, which comes out to about $0.68 US. I challenge you to find any US bar with that kind of pricing. 

Message 142 of 179
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

And this addresses something I have been saying on here for years, which is that professional sellers are forced to compete on the same platform with casual sellers who don't care what they get for an item, or others who do stuff like this "just to keep busy."

I've been saying for years that the casual sellers are forced to compete on the same platform as "professional" sellers.

Plus, I only search auctions, and have never bought anything new from here other than maybe watch batteries not conveniently available. Only antique/vintage.

I think that's just more evidence that eBay ought to put "professional sales and b2b" on a different platform than "yard sales and classified ads."

Message 143 of 179
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

What some might call a "tourist trap" I might call heaven...nothing like leaving the great white north in winter and getting off a plane and having that heat hit my face, that sunshine, that music, those fresh vegetables with twice as much flavor as ours, those smiling faces whether trying to sell me something or not...this "rich?" American says please transport me to that "tourist trap"! 

Also, I think you're reacting to someone else's comment about "tourist traps" and "rich Americans", as did I.

I am, what someone else may claim is a tourist trap or "rich" Americans, both comments seem condescending.

I don't see what's condescending about it. That's literally how "3rd world" countries view people from the states. 

If its any consolation, Euro countries and Canadians view Americans as dumb a**holes. 

Message 144 of 179
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I was just reporting that I've traveled quite a bit off the beaten path had have seen the same behaviour, and I think it's a tradition in many places in the world.  There's no need to be sensitive about traveling to tourist spots.  

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 145 of 179
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I was just reporting that I've traveled quite a bit off the beaten path had have seen the same behaviour, and I think it's a tradition in many places in the world.  There's no need to be sensitive about traveling to tourist spots.  

Just to add a little bit here... to give an example... if you say, went to France, and sat down for a family meal... The waiter/waitress might give you a little description up-front, but beyond that you're pretty much expected to know what you're ordering. You'll also pay for water, which should come in a bottle. When you go for a meal with a group, its expected that you'll probably stay at the table for at least two hours and maybe up to about 4(!) hours. The waiter/waitress will be expected to serve you in every reasonable way with little fuss. There will be no "well, I want this, how is this how is that? blah blah".. you simply tell them or in US terms demand  what you want, and the waiter/waitress is expected to provide it. ie. no niceties. "Get me one of these and get me that." That's it. They bring it and add it to the bill. This isn't considered rude, its expected. 

When a meal is delivered, its likely to be by the person who made it and they will tell you what it is and how they made it(ie the chef/cook in the kitchen). If you have a problem, you tell them then and if you don't, you'll be expected to eat and pay for the meal. If there is a problem, they will go back and remake it and bring it back out(probably **bleep**ing about you the whole time in the kitchen). 

There are no tips. In fact, there are no tips anywhere I can think of beside the US and maybe Canada. 

You can hail a french waiter/waitress as "Garcon!" and they will come STAT. "Garcon" means "boy" but you would still say that even if they are female. 

Compare this to the US where there's a whole bunch of hooplah spoken in between... generally bad service... and then they want to be paid additionally for it(in a tip). If you hold a table over about 1-1.5 hours in the US they waiter/waitress will probably either ask you to move or leave.

Anyways, by what I have read here... I think its fairly clear that those who are posting as such have probably never spent any significant amount of time overseas or outside of a tourist area in one of those countries. Take that as you will. 

Message 146 of 179
latest reply

Other than in the US the waitstaff is generally paid a decent wage and so don't depend on tips to keep a roof over their heads (in Australia a 10% tip for exceptional service is appreciated).  There may be tip jars in coffee shops and the like. YMMV, depending on how you travel.  I'm generally on foot and on a shoestring, and just eat where the locals eat, wherever I happen to be.

I've never been asked to leave a table after an hour or so in the US. Never. My friends and I can spend considerable time when we go out, too - again, we don't go to spendy places, just local joints where people know each other.

One thing I know - there are no absolutes beyond respecting the local manners and customs.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 147 of 179
latest reply

There are many different pricing strategies as well as reasons for sending an offer.  I do it from time to time and would put my success rate at around 20% or so.  Overall, I like the send an offer feature for buyers watching an item but have a few concerns about it.

Message 148 of 179
latest reply

Never have.  It was in my e mail even after I already had this app uninstalled from my phone.  I just had no clue what the hell you were talking about. And if you imply  my husband is dying from cancer, you're **bleep** right I'm waking him up

Message 149 of 179
latest reply