cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay automatically combine shipping? How to prevent that from happening?

Hi! When a buyer purchases more than one item from me at a time, it looks like eBay automatically combines the orders when I go to purchase a shipping label through eBay, and I don't see a way to uncombine them or prevent that from happening. It's fine if the items can be easily combined in the same package, but for some items, it would be problematic or impossible to combine them in the same package for the same (or less) shipping cost. Is there a way to prevent orders from the same buyer from automatically combining, or is there a way to separate them? I don't believe I have a setting in my account that says to automatically combine them? Thanks so much for any help on this!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@post-crastinating wrote:

Hi! When a buyer purchases more than one item from me at a time, it looks like eBay automatically combines the orders when I go to purchase a shipping label through eBay, and I don't see a way to uncombine them or prevent that from happening. It's fine if the items can be easily combined in the same package, but for some items, it would be problematic or impossible to combine them in the same package for the same (or less) shipping cost. Is there a way to prevent orders from the same buyer from automatically combining, or is there a way to separate them? I don't believe I have a setting in my account that says to automatically combine them? Thanks so much for any help on this!

If they (correctly) use Add to Cart instead of Buy Now it will automatically create a single order with the items as a single sale. You are free to ship them individually if you wish. Just be sure to include all the  tracking numbers in the shipping data.

The only way to get separate orders would be if the buyer clicked Buy Now on each item. That would generate individual sales. At that point, if you wish, you can still combine them or ship them separately.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for replying. The problem is that I can't ship them individually because they are combined on my Sold page, and there is only one "Purchase Shipping Label" button for the two items. When I click "Purchase Shipping Label," there are only options for shipping one package, not two, and I don't see any way to change it to be purchasing labels for two separate packages. How can I purchase shipping separately for the two items when eBay automatically combines them like this? Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

you can always change the shipping when you send an invoice

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

you can always buy 2 labels by just clicking on buy another label 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You can generate a label for one of the items by adjusting the weight and dimensions.  Then you have the option to create another label for the remaining item in the same way.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@post-crastinating 

Did you tried to uncheck "Accept combined payments" option from Shipping preferences??

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

After you have printed your first label return to the "print label" page. On the right is a short list which includes "Buy additional label for this order". You can buy up to 5 labels for a single order.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the help, everyone! I appreciate it. Today I did ship the combined order (I was able to combine this one), and I kept an eye out for the link to "Buy an Additional Label." So, if this happens again and I need to ship separately, I would just click "Buy an Additional Label" and enter the details for the second package and then an additional tracking number will be generated? And eBay will automatically keep track of the two different shipments/two different tracking numbers even though the order shows as combined on the Selling page?

And thank you also for pointing out the "Accept Combined Payments" checkbox on the Shipping Preferences page -- turns out that box WAS checked, so I unchecked it. Will this prevent any future orders from becoming combined on the Selling page regardless of whether the buyer uses Add to Cart or Buy It Now?

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply