cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

I have $32,000 in merchandise listed on eBay and had one $9 sale in the entire month of June. On the other hand, when I search for interesting things to buy on eBay -- used and/or vintage -- I find very little.

This is my 19th year as an eBay seller/buyer; and to think there was once a time when I spent $5,000 a month on the site.

Something must be driving the stock price, other than display ads and corporate lies?

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

@cal_w62 wrote:

You said you can't sell from a large inventory and that keeps sales low, LOL, stop giving others advice on this forum and do them all a favor.

well what the point was,... he talked a big game, but when ask to see who or what he sell...AVOIDED...

a big inventory...of what?  bet snow shovel are moving in AZ right now....or too many places, so large inventory doesn't mean sales..... 

Message 16 of 105
latest reply

I'm actually having one of the best months I've had in several years. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything to the big wigs who sell thousands, though. Most sellers here would consider me inconsequential.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 17 of 105
latest reply

Snore, bad search engine, search for (case for iPhone 3)

No traffic coming from Google directly to eBay sellers listings.

eBay wanting sellers to pay them for promoted listings on this terrible search engine, even when they are paying big money for store subscriptions, listing fees, final value fees.

eBay pulling millions of listings from sellers who pay them big money for stores.

eBay executives wanting sellers to go to Vegas and pay them 295 bucks so they can teach them how to spend money on promoted listings.

eBay errors causing sellers Pay settings in the control panel turned to off and eBay will not even answer the threads on this forum about these and many other issues.

Now what more do you need to know ??

Message 18 of 105
latest reply

@whatmodernwas wrote:

I have $32,000 in merchandise listed on eBay and had one $9 sale in the entire month of June. On the other hand, when I search for interesting things to buy on eBay -- used and/or vintage -- I find very little.

This is my 19th year as an eBay seller/buyer; and to think there was once a time when I spent $5,000 a month on the site.

Something must be driving the stock price, other than display ads and corporate lies?

What keeps eBay's stock price just above water is the fact that it's bundled into a lot of stock packages that end up in 401k's and the like. As the overall stock market rises, so does eBay, and when the market crashes, so does eBay. Another thing that gave eBay a bump was the fact that Carl Ichan purchased a bunch of stock an all the investors that follow him bought also, without knowing or caring why he did.

Message 19 of 105
latest reply

44 sales in the past 7 days out of 147 items listed.

Learn what's trending, what people are buying, what the Chinese can't duplicate. Obtain it cheap and watch the money roll in.

Dead or over saturated categories include clothing, vintage items, shelf wear, general household junk, DVDs, Tapes, CDs and more.

Popular categories include electronics, video game systems and games, drones, tools, auto parts, anything Apple and most anything Samsung.

And  yet, ebay has screwed up this site to such a degree that even the popular categories are taking a hit but not so bad that it's not sustainable at least for now. I have a strong feeling it's only going to get worse around here. A lot worse. No technology can keep pace with the manic and frenzied changes ebay is doing to their infrastructure, it seems on a daily or even hourly basis.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 20 of 105
latest reply

@z50com wrote:

Victor

I have NEVER had an item have no views in a 30 day period EVER!

Is that even possible?

Most of the views on these two charts are from me over the past 2 weeks. As you can see, the daily totals have dropped way off from already low totals to start with. 1st chart has 37 items listed, the 2nd chart had 500 items at its peak, but I haven't relisted much in the past week so it's down to about 150 or so listings.

All those little tiny nubs are about 1 to 4 views a day for the entire inventory. Like I said since those views are from me, that means all that inventory is getting no more views. You can list a piece of chewed up gum an get more views than me.

37 items37 itemsabout 500 down to 150 itemsabout 500 down to 150 items

Message 21 of 105
latest reply

@cal_w62 wrote:

Sad state of affairs indeed, this management team has made so many ill advised changes that they have destroyed the eBay marketplace completely, one has to wonder if all their new programs will bring clarity to the muddied waters they have stirred up.

Right now eBay management has little to say other than come to Las Vegas and pay us 295 bucks so we can teach you our new way to sell on eBay with promoted listings, sad really.

@cal_w62 wrote:

Sad state of affairs indeed, this management team has made so many ill advised changes that they have destroyed the eBay marketplace completely, one has to wonder if all their new programs will bring clarity to the muddied waters they have stirred up.

Right now eBay management has little to say other than come to Las Vegas and pay us 295 bucks so we can teach you our new way to sell on eBay with promoted listings, sad really.

I wonder if the current algorithem on a sellers visibility is tied into how much the seller account purchases.  I have not had a sale for 2 weeks.  As soon as I started purchasing from eBay, I have my page views went up a little and actually made a sale!  whoo hoo.. I'm over the moon I made a sale! 

I am not listing new products because the number of listings I have are limited.  My sales are close to non-existant.  I am not going to put in crazy amount of time and effort into listing new items just to let it expire again without sales.  I need to average more than a few cents per hour of efforts saleing on ebay.  Most months, when I deduct the amount of time, effort, gas, wear and tear of vehicle, packing material, ink, paper, ebay fees, paypal fees, etc, I am in the negative. 

I wonder if it's more profitable panhandling. LOL

Message 22 of 105
latest reply

@whatmodernwas wrote:

I find it interesting that the OP mentions the value of his merchandise and not the number of items to get to that value.  The OP also mentions that they used to spend $5,000 a month buying on ebay.

I think that the buying on ebay might be having an influence on why they are selling very little.  When you buy on ebay, you have to pay to have the item shipped to you and a reseller has to recoup that cost somehow and it usually ends up in the price of the item.  And since ebay has become known to be the place to find a bargain, the cost of two shippings might have driven the price of the OP's items a little too high for ebay buyers tastes if the OP buys to resell on ebay.

I sell some stuff on ebay, I sell in a saturated category and make no effort to get my items in front of as many eyes as possible.  And I am ok with knowing that I could sell more, but with more sales would come with more problems so I do what I am doing and accept my fate as a seller on ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 23 of 105
latest reply

@cal_w62 wrote:

eBay wanting sellers to pay them for promoted listings on this terrible search engine, even when they are paying big money for store subscriptions, listing fees, final value fees.

eBay pulling millions of listings from sellers who pay them big money for stores.

eBay executives wanting sellers to go to Vegas and pay them 295 bucks so they can teach them how to spend money on promoted listings.

eBay errors causing sellers Pay settings in the control panel turned to off and eBay will not even answer the threads on this forum about these and many other issues.

ok so you have the answers..BUT what are you doing about it?  it just is not what it was...Amazon has done what people think is better...ebay is trying to catch up and be a Amazon like on-line... but WE are not.

Message 24 of 105
latest reply

my question is....Are people not coming to ebay and looking...Do they just go look somewhere other ...WHY is the feeling...and agin not all...but the feeling the "view" and the sales DROPPED OFF..

And of course not all... but blame all you want.. IS THERE SOMETHING going on...is it the other ON-LINE places... competition yes, but really seems like something just turned off...

Message 25 of 105
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

my question is....Are people not coming to ebay and looking...Do they just go look somewhere other ...WHY is the feeling...and agin not all...but the feeling the "view" and the sales DROPPED OFF..

And of course not all... but blame all you want.. IS THERE SOMETHING going on...is it the other ON-LINE places... competition yes, but really seems like something just turned off...

I can tell you from 2 experiences - one from my son, one from his friend - both that I witnessed.

Both went on looking for a particular item.  The search gave them so much of what they were not looking for, they gave up and went to the A where they found the items in minutes.

Many milleniums have short attention spans, so they want to find it fast, and have very little tolerance for glitches.

Message 26 of 105
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

@cal_w62 wrote:

ok so you have the answers..BUT what are you doing about it?  it just is not what it was...Amazon has done what people think is better...ebay is trying to catch up and be a Amazon like on-line... but WE are not.

eBay needs to seriously give up that ghost. eBay has been trying to be Amazon for more than a decade. It ain't gonna happen. It's a pipe dream, and eBay has wasted loads of resources on a fruitless endeavor. Amazon started out as a drop shipper of books. They sell product...eBay sells ad space.

Message 27 of 105
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

I believe it has less to do with the competition an more to do with eBay's infrastructure falling apart.  Plus all the throttling eBay keeps doing. Both issues may go hand in hand.

Message 28 of 105
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@whatmodernwas wrote:

I find it interesting that the OP mentions the value of his merchandise and not the number of items to get to that value.  The OP also mentions that they used to spend $5,000 a month buying on ebay.

I think that the buying on ebay might be having an influence on why they are selling very little.  When you buy on ebay, you have to pay to have the item shipped to you and a reseller has to recoup that cost somehow and it usually ends up in the price of the item.  And since ebay has become known to be the place to find a bargain, the cost of two shippings might have driven the price of the OP's items a little too high for ebay buyers tastes if the OP buys to resell on ebay.

I sell some stuff on ebay, I sell in a saturated category and make no effort to get my items in front of as many eyes as possible.  And I am ok with knowing that I could sell more, but with more sales would come with more problems so I do what I am doing and accept my fate as a seller on ebay.

I've stopped buying on eBay primarily because there's nothing good in my categories, not simply because prices are too high. The good stuff usually comes from individual sellers, who've mostly left eBay it seems, and these categories are now flooded with "big-box" sellers with new merchandise and retail prices. I can find the same new merchandise for less with 2-day Prime shipping on Amazon.

On eBay, I'm looking for used and/or vintage merchandise at good prices.

As far as selling clothing, in the last 19 years I sold one shirt on eBay. It was a brand new, really nice men's Armani dress shirt that wasn't my size; and that was a decade ago.

Message 29 of 105
latest reply

That is one of the things I sold when I first started here - clothes my kids outgrew so that I could use the money towards new ones.

I would not even bother now.

Message 30 of 105
latest reply